PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy the c-765 ???

igsz
04-21-2005, 10:36 AM
Hi,
I am still a user of a simple compact camera (with zoom to 150mm), but the camera is giving up on me after many years of service :(
So ... time to buy a digital camera finally :)
Since I love taking pictures of people during my travels around the world, a big zoom would be perfect. However, a small and easy camera would be as well. What to do :confused:
The Olympus c-765 with 4mp, 10x optical zoom looks like a camera for me. Not too big and not too complicated (hopefully).
However, the thing that worries me, is the fact that it does not have an image stabilazor. I cannot imagine I will be able to make sharp pictures with the 10x zoom without the SI? (I am definately not a type to start walking around with a tripod during my travel!).
Also I would be pleased to hear your experience with the battery. What if I travel in an area without electricity for a week? How many pictures should I expect to be able to make?
Looking forward to your help in this project ;)
Thanks!!!

Geoff Chandler
04-21-2005, 02:59 PM
I agree that Image Stabilisation is a very helpfull feature - but I survived with my Oly Ultra zoom for over a year before buying a camera with IS. I have taken pics at full zoom and all you need to remember is the more you zoom in - the faster the shutter speed you will need to avoid shake. The C-765 is a 38 - 380 in 35mm terms. At 380 (full optical zoom) you would need around 400th sec ( or 380th) to be fairly sure there are no wobbly images. This rule works well - if you have a steady hand - or can wedge the camera somewhere then you'll manage with a slower shutter speed. In Auto you can't do this - I prefer Apperture priority personally - but in either Aperture or Shutter you can control the shutter speed - both are shown in the veiwfinder/screen. Check out some of the competition - like the Panasonics for example - but I really like the image quality on these Olympus Ultra zooms - I have a few friends with various variations of them including the C-765 and the C-750. Get back to me if you want to know more...

Rex914
04-21-2005, 03:50 PM
This is a good camera, but it's a bit aging and doesn't hold up as well to the competition as it used to. You might be interested in the brand new (will be announced tomorrow) Canon Powershot S2 IS which should be on par with if not better than the Panasonics now. :)

Sigbhu
05-11-2005, 09:17 PM
i'm a die hard olympus fan, but i think they have mucked up the long zoom market (they used to be only kings once, you know)

for the same price (i think) you can get a far better panasonic with image stabilizer, a way way better leica lens.

the price?
1. it's not olympus
2. besides the c770, the panasonics look as though they were desinged in 1850. they're huge.

i don't know about image quality, but the quality on the c770 is stellar.

don't put that much weightage on an IS. i use a c750 and shoot pretty much 24 hours of the day and never quite feel i need an IS. also, if you think you an IS can help you shoot at 420mm (the panasonic's long end) no matter what, prepare to be dissapointed. the IS may help you with a stop or two--but not more.

in the end, it all boils down to your preference--what do you prefer--

a small, neat high quality camera (the olympus)

or a massive, gigantic camera with the most beautiful lens ever desgned (the panasonic)

i've suffered from this rpoblem, so keep this in mind: xD cards arren't as hot as CF or SD. i've had one which suddenly failed (though it's working fine now)
(though it has gone through VERY heavy use--an average of 50 frames every day for two years)

so here's my final conclusion: i'm biased towards the olys, but the panasonic is obviously hte better camera. but there's soemthing about those camera's which you just love...

i wouldn't buy a c765 anyway. go for the c770.

dellshadgett@earthlink.ne
05-14-2005, 05:38 AM
I LOVE my Olympus C 765 UZ! Just returned from a month is Australia/New Zealand and the quality of my pictures is remarkable! The zoom is so clear and easy to operate. Photos look professional quality. I took pictures from a moving bus on rough roads and they, for the most part, are excellent. Yes, it is a bit big, but very manageable and the I didn't have the problem with stability that I was expecting. I do sometimes forget to turn the flash on, but that's operator error.
An extra battery, international converter and large memory card are absolutely necessary if traveling out of the country for an extended period.
There may be better (smaller, newer) cameras on the market, but I am extremely pleased with my C765.

Hi,
I am still a user of a simple compact camera (with zoom to 150mm), but the camera is giving up on me after many years of service :(
So ... time to buy a digital camera finally :)
Since I love taking pictures of people during my travels around the world, a big zoom would be perfect. However, a small and easy camera would be as well. What to do :confused:
The Olympus c-765 with 4mp, 10x optical zoom looks like a camera for me. Not too big and not too complicated (hopefully).
However, the thing that worries me, is the fact that it does not have an image stabilizor. I cannot imagine I will be able to make sharp pictures with the 10x zoom without the SI? (I am definately not a type to start walking around with a tripod during my travel!).
Also I would be pleased to hear your experience with the battery. What if I travel in an area without electricity for a week? How many pictures should I expect to be able to make?
Looking forward to your help in this project ;)
Thanks!!!

speaklightly
05-14-2005, 06:05 PM
I have a C-765 and I will be taking it on our next trip to China in two weeks. It is terrible in low light situations but in good light the C-765 does very well indeed. For those low light situations I will be carrying my Canon G-6 and the new Fuji F-10.

The C-765 is well priced and if you accept its limitations, you will get along quite nicely.

Sarah Joyce

Ali_baba
05-15-2005, 10:22 PM
I have C-765.

Things I like are 10x zoom and 15 seconds shutter exposure.

I don't have any problem with 10X zoom because I can keep my hands steady. However, when you have no tripod, you may ask somebody to be one. Honestly, I ask my wife to stand infront of me and then user her shoulder as my tripod. :D

I don't mind on camera's size at all because the more functions results big camera.

Want to see a gallery and snaps from C-765? Here it is:
http://jyu.atway.net/muamshai.
The weather was overcast and at that time, I was a rookie so there is no fault of camera if you see a bad photograph :)

Sigbhu
05-16-2005, 01:34 AM
i think the main selling point of the c765 is the SMALL size. look at the panasonics.

speaklightly
05-20-2005, 05:50 AM
Sigbhu-

The Olympus Ultra-Zooms triumph due to their small size and low price, at least here in the United States, where the C-765 is hovering in the $250 to $260 range.

It is hard to find a long zoom digital capable of photos like the attached at less than $300 US.

Sarah Joyce

Montana
05-31-2005, 03:36 AM
Sarah - thx for the great info. I was recently looking at the Canon S2 and the Sony H 1 as "must have " cameras. However, I am not so sure of their value now. The S2 pics had lots of noise at ISO 50, and the Sony had lots of CA. The features I wanted on the S2 (long zoom, zoom during movie mode) I have found are available on camera with better photo quality - the C770.

It seems the C770, besides indoor low light focusing (which can be adressed with manual focus, right?) and the proprietary battery is the perfect camera.

How has your experience been with the photo quality and the battery hassle? I will be often travelling to national forests and national parks in remote areas, etc. I see you can get backup batteries for 11$, etc. I was just wondering what your view was on this. I have heard nothing but good things about the photo quality, and the ability to zoom , and the fact a card can hold 30 minutes of movie time is very interesting.

Your pic of the squirrel is exceptional and full of light! I will be using the C770 at Glacier National Park and Yellowstone, likely with a small tripod as well. Should it do the job? thx.