PDA

View Full Version : Concert photo etiquette - AF assist lamp on or off?

nick_the_guy
04-21-2005, 10:48 AM
Hey, I play music too so yesterday I tried shooting another band that played after us. I specifically purchased a D70 + Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 for concert photo, local clug stuff. I turned off the AF assist lamp 'cause it can be distracting but I was really disappointed with the focus on the shots. Would it be wrong to shoot with the AF lamp on, is it as tacky/distracting as flash? I know that the camera would only need a second or less to lock in at my shooting range (3-15 ft). As a performer, personally, I don't care but is there some sort of unspoken rule that I should observe?

JTL
04-21-2005, 12:26 PM
Hey, I play music too so yesterday I tried shooting another band that played after us. I specifically purchased a D70 + Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 for concert photo, local clug stuff. I turned off the AF assist lamp 'cause it can be distracting but I was really disappointed with the focus on the shots. Would it be wrong to shoot with the AF lamp on, is it as tacky/distracting as flash? I know that the camera would only need a second or less to lock in at my shooting range (3-15 ft). As a performer, personally, I don't care but is there some sort of unspoken rule that I should observe?I'm a performing guitatist...and going only by the AF lamp on my new Canon SD500, it's like getting hit with a laser in the eye! It is most unpleasent! If I were on stage and this happened, I'd be pretty pissed...hey, but that's just me! :D

PhilR.
04-21-2005, 03:34 PM
I turned off the AF assist lamp 'cause it can be distracting but I was really disappointed with the focus on the shots.

Were you still using autofocus, or were you focusing manually?

PhilR.

Norm in Fujino
04-21-2005, 08:03 PM
As a performer, personally, I don't care but is there some sort of unspoken rule that I should observe?

You could ask beforehand if it's a small gig--that goes for flash as well. And as Phil suggested, switch to manual focus if it's an issue.

nick_the_guy
04-22-2005, 01:42 PM
I was using autofocus because the D70 doesn't have guides for manual focus. The D70 uses a white lamp rather than a red laser which I did notice when I was performing. Are there any tricks that I can apply, like using hyperfocusing to get a good depth of field (probably won't work with f2.8 though)?

photogrl
06-01-2005, 04:56 PM
hi, i am new here..anyway, i found you guys and wanted to respond. I shoot lots of concerts, small and medium sized venues. I Always ask and/or get permission from the band or their manager to shoot and use flash. I am House Photographer at a venue so am usually permitted to shoot the bands; unless they request No Photographers! --
Some do not allow flash, for bigger bands...some smaller bands do not care. AND you get to shoot 1st three songs only so you gotta hussle --
I have had all kinds of situations. It is never the same. I shoot digital on Auto speed; My Olympus E10 only goes to 320 ISO but I am working on getting a Nikon D70!! I shoot on shutter priority a lot at anywhere from 1/60-1/125 depending on lighting, which is often low light. I shot a show the other night and shot a roll of 1600 as well and got nice stuff with very low grain.
As far as Etiquette, I'd say, always ask first and be respectful of the artists.
:D

photogrl
06-01-2005, 04:58 PM
I should have said also, AF is an issue with me too. I either zoom in as much as I can and try to focus; AEL feature, or use Manual Focus. But with changing lights, strobes, major movement on stage, it is very challenging!

Dave Dilks
06-02-2005, 04:14 PM
I've always kept mine turned off as a courtesy to the performers, but really haven't had much problem getting proper focus without it.

I've also learned to point my camera at the floor when I power it up, as it gives an automatic burst of the AF lamp even if the lamp is set in the off position. This is especially important when taking pictures in venue where photography is "discouraged"; not that I'd ever try that. :D