PDA

View Full Version : manual focusing

msparks
07-06-2004, 02:29 PM
I have a canon powershot S1 IS and I am totally lost with the manual focusing. I enjoy taking up close shots and can do a lot of it with the automatic but would love to learn the manual part. I have read the instruction book and do not understand how to work it. I was wondering if someone could help me out in easy terminology. I am leaving for Hawahii on Sat. and would love to get this down before we leave.

Ray Schnoor
07-07-2004, 01:38 PM
I personally have never tried out this camera, but by reading Jeff's review, it looks like the manual focus is pretty easy.

"The top button (MF) turns on manual focus." (This button is on the left hand side of the camera) "By holding this button down, and using the up/down buttons on the four-way controller," (the four-way controller is the big "button" on the back of the camera in the upper right hand side) "you can set the focus to whatever you desire. A guide showing the current focus distance is shown on the LCD/EVF, and the center of the frame is enlarged, so you can make sure that the focus is accurate."

This can all be found about halfway down in Jeff's review,

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_s1-review/index.shtml (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_s1-review/index.shtml)

John_Reed
07-07-2004, 09:24 PM
"The top button (MF) turns on manual focus." (This button is on the left hand side of the camera) "By holding this button down, and using the up/down buttons on the four-way controller," (the four-way controller is the big "button" on the back of the camera in the upper right hand side) "you can set the focus to whatever you desire. A guide showing the current focus distance is shown on the LCD/EVF, and the center of the frame is enlarged, so you can make sure that the focus is accurate."
I'll have to say that's one advantage I'd award to the FZ10 over the S1; I purely do love that big, intuitive, manual focus ring concentric with the lens barrel, where a focus ring should be. Tap the "MF" switch from "AF" to the bottom for initial focus point, and just wheel in the ring (using MF focus assist) to get the focus right. Easy.

Ray Schnoor
07-08-2004, 04:19 AM
You are absolutely right, John.

Ray.

D70FAN
07-08-2004, 05:06 PM
Manual focus. How quaint. :D

John_Reed
07-08-2004, 05:54 PM
Manual focus. How quaint. :D
George, is that a feature they left off your D70? ;)

D70FAN
07-08-2004, 10:35 PM
Nope. Just have never needed it, so far. The AF seems to work no matter what, and with zone AF...

Oh sure I tried it just for old time sake, but the camera and lens have it figured out way before I have a chance to goof it up. That's where having an aperture of f29 can come in handy.

When was the last time you could shoot at f29? Good thing I live in the desert. That bright sunshine sure comes in handy. :cool:

John_Reed
07-08-2004, 11:45 PM
That's where having an aperture of f29 can come in handy.

When was the last time you could shoot at f29?
Never. But I think at f8, with my smaller sensor, I can get about the same DOF you get at f29. Could be wrong, but long DOFs don't seem to be a problem for most fixed-lens digital cameras.

Nick
07-09-2004, 08:46 AM
Nope. Just have never needed it, so far. The AF seems to work no matter what, and with zone AF...

The AF does work just about everywhere on the D70, doesn't it? I like the selective zone focus a ton, but I still instinctively always reach for the manual focus ring , always. Hence my dislike of cams without the focus ring; feels weird! Like after driving a stickshift for years, sometimes hand just HAS to be on the shifter, even if it's an automatic ;)

al macdiarmid
07-09-2004, 01:31 PM
With my Nikon 950 taking macro pictures autofocus always seemed to do a good job of picking the right point. With my Sony DSC-F717, I have shot a lot of gravel when I really wanted the blossom. Even with the 2x zoom assist for manual focus I don't seem to be able to get it right. Frustrating. Al

John_Reed
07-09-2004, 03:42 PM
I do a lot of bird photography, and with my FZ1, sans manual focus, I got frustrated sometimes, especially by dark-colored birds or animals. When using spot focus, say, to be able to focus on a bird surrounded by branches, I'd move the spot to the dark breast feathers and depress the shutter button halfway. Now that results in a nice sharp focus, but unfortunately, the exposure metering was also calibrated on the same spot, and those dark feathers would tell the camera to way over-expose in some instances. So getting good photos of dark-colored birds is not easy, to say the least. With the FZ10's manual focus, I can actually lock in spot AF by depressing the MF button while pointed at the bird's breast as before, but now I'm free to pick a lighter object like the branch or whatever else is nearby, to lock in the right exposure before framing.

D70FAN
07-09-2004, 04:52 PM
"Never. But I think at f8, with my smaller sensor, I can get about the same DOF you get at f29. Could be wrong, but long DOFs don't seem to be a problem for most fixed-lens digital cameras."

I was trying to add some humor. Guess it didn't work. I wouldn't be braggin' about that smaller sensor if I were you. Sensor envy can lead to problems. ;) (that better?) :D

John_Reed
07-09-2004, 05:00 PM
I wouldn't be braggin' about that smaller sensor if I were you. Sensor envy can lead to problems. ;) (that better?) :D
Hey George, I wasn't braggin', only stating the fact. The smaller sensor/lens diameter makes f8 look like infinite DOF on the camera.

D70FAN
07-09-2004, 07:04 PM
I promise I will never use humor in a reply to John Reed again. Read back through my reply with a sense of humor this time...

So, I go to the doctor yesterday. He Tells me I'm dyin' I said I'd like a second opinion. He say's "you're ugly too"...

... I tell ya I get no respect!

Can we end this thread now?

John_Reed
07-10-2004, 08:55 AM
I promise I will never use humor in a reply to John Reed again. Read back through my reply with a sense of humor this time...

So, I go to the doctor yesterday. He Tells me I'm dyin' I said I'd like a second opinion. He say's "you're ugly too"...

... I tell ya I get no respect!

Can we end this thread now?
So! That's your basic problem, is it? You're DROP-DEAD ugly! Keep humoring me, George. An old man like me needs an occasional chuckle to get by...