PDA

View Full Version : Ebay seller "cametaauctions".

Cerwin Vega Fan
08-28-2004, 02:57 PM
Anyone ever purchased anything from this seller? He sells a lot of cameras at good prices and has a feedback of 60,972 @ 99.8%.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws1/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=cametaauctions

Thanks.

Rhys
08-29-2004, 06:31 AM
Anyone ever purchased anything from this seller? He sells a lot of cameras at good prices and has a feedback of 60,972 @ 99.8%.

Thanks.

Welcome to EBAY - the home of stolen goods being fenced, misdescribed goods, mythical goods that never show up and a whole range of other ciminal and fraudulant activity. No wonder 9 out of 10 crooks prefer ebay.

I'd forget ebay, save a few weeks longer, and go with a local retailer whose counter you can hammer your fist on if necessary.

judge9847
08-29-2004, 07:20 AM
Welcome to EBAY - the home of stolen goods being fenced, misdescribed goods, mythical goods that never show up and a whole range of other ciminal and fraudulant activity. No wonder 9 out of 10 crooks prefer ebay.

I'd forget ebay, save a few weeks longer, and go with a local retailer whose counter you can hammer your fist on if necessary.
Whilst I fully appreciate that each has their own way of seeing things, probably based on personal experience, I can perhaps give you an alternative point of view as regards eBay.

I personally have had contact with several hundred buyers and sellers in the last few years and none, zero, zilch, nix, nada, keinen, null have ever given me a problem. Goods I have bought have always been as described in the auction.

My son makes a far greater use of eBay than I and bar one, his experiences have equalled mine. More than that, he is in very regular contact with a wide variey of sellers and buyers on eBay, none of whom have given rise to any sort of issue or problem.

Neither myself, my son, his close friends and business partners are in anyway involved with stolen or misdescribed or mythical goods, of that I am 100% certain. I happen to know the sources of almost all their "stock" and amongst them are internationally known retailers and auction houses, not to mention the entirely original items that they have produced for themselves to sell on eBay. Frankly speaking, I feel these comments are an insult to the many hundreds of thousands of traders and buyers who routinely make use of eBay.

I am sure there are plenty of exceptions to what my overall experience has been with eBay but life has taught me that it is a fact that one bad apple does not always spoil the barrel. And it has also taught me that bilious - and potentially libellous comments like this - are best kept to oneself.

To get back to the original question I don't know about the supplier concerned. I would check the feedback that they have and make your own mind up from there. If you have any doubt simply take the best part of the advice already given to you and stick with the High Street stores or the reputable on-line traders.

You may also wish to check out the safe buying policies that eBay have introduced over the years: you may feel rather more comfortable about buying through their affiliated stores having done so.

Rhys
08-29-2004, 09:26 AM
Whilst I fully appreciate that each has their own way of seeing things, probably based on personal experience, I can perhaps give you an alternative point of view as regards eBay.

I personally have had contact with several hundred buyers and sellers in the last few years and none, zero, zilch, nix, nada, keinen, null have ever given me a problem. Goods I have bought have always been as described in the auction.

I am sure there are plenty of exceptions to what my overall experience has been with eBay but life has taught me that it is a fact that one bad apple does not always spoil the barrel. And it has also taught me that bilious - and potentially libellous comments like this - are best kept to oneself.

Well, aside from my own less-than-rosy experiences of buying stuff on ebay, I must point out that when I was managing a charity shop, I frequently had people referred by the courts to me. In Britain there are "Community Service" sentences for some offences. What the offender has to do is to work for X hours for nothing, in the community. This means the courts dump their human effluent on the charity shops and we had to make them do their 200 hours work. Many of those referred had been pedalling stolen and counterfeit goods via ebay. As soon as the sentence was over, they went back to pedalling their stolen/counterfeit goods. I used to see the same faces over and over again. They'd be sentenced to 100 hours and would do that then 2 months later they'd be caught and given another 100 hours. It was just economically viable for them to do that. Going back to the old saying there's no smoke without fire, they' would appear to be the tip of the iceburg. One guy was sentenced to 200 hours for producing and flogging pirated videos. A pair of girls were sentenced to 180 hours for fencing stolen goods. These are just two examples - we had many such people.

In Britain, ebay and fraud seem to be synonymous.

scottyja
08-29-2004, 01:31 PM
I would suggest not purchasing a camera over eBay. I've never had an issue w/ eBay, but know those whom have (as I'm sure we all do). For me, it comes down to how much you're willing to risk. Things I would buy from eBay: memory, batteries, charges, or just about anything under $50. If I get cheated out of $50, I'm angry, but life goes on. But if you're planning on spending $500 on a camera, I feel it's worth it to spend the extra amount just for piece of mind.

My opinion is eBay is good for discontinued items (like cool Star Wars figurines) and stuff you might find at a garage sale. I shy away from anything I could buy just as easily at the local shop. Also, I NEVER buy anything of value without emailing the seller (just to get a better feel), and at least one of the customers.

Just understand that there's a considerable risk w/ eBay, whether purchasing used, stolen, or broken goods. When you start thinking about hundreds (thousands?) of dollars, I shop for quality and piece of mindover cost. Just something to think about.

Rhys
08-29-2004, 01:54 PM
I would suggest not purchasing a camera over eBay. I've never had an issue w/ eBay, but know those whom have (as I'm sure we all do). For me, it comes down to how much you're willing to risk. Things I would buy from eBay: memory, batteries, charges, or just about anything under $50. If I get cheated out of $50, I'm angry, but life goes on. But if you're planning on spending $500 on a camera, I feel it's worth it to spend the extra amount just for piece of mind.

My opinion is eBay is good for discontinued items (like cool Star Wars figurines) and stuff you might find at a garage sale. I shy away from anything I could buy just as easily at the local shop. Also, I NEVER buy anything of value without emailing the seller (just to get a better feel), and at least one of the customers.

Just understand that there's a considerable risk w/ eBay, whether purchasing used, stolen, or broken goods. When you start thinking about hundreds (thousands?) of dollars, I shop for quality and piece of mindover cost. Just something to think about.

That's excellent advice. Those I've met who've not had problems have all been selling/buying low value items such as comics, old newspapers, beanie babies etc - low value potential collectables. The horror stories all come from the high-value items favoured by criminals such as mobile phones, cameras, designer clothing, perfumes etc.

Cerwin Vega Fan
08-29-2004, 03:01 PM
Well normally I wouldn't buy nothing that high dollar form Ebay. But after reviewing this guy's feedback he seems to be legit. I mean a score of 99.8% is quite impressive.

judge9847
08-29-2004, 05:28 PM
Well normally I wouldn't buy nothing that high dollar form Ebay. But after reviewing this guy's feedback he seems to be legit. I mean a score of 99.8% is quite impressive.
The feedback of a seller on eBay is an indicator of performance but not the be-all and end-all. Have a look at the list of customers leaving feedback and see what they're saying and how many there are as well. To put it into perspective, a feedback of 99% is impressive but if the number of overall positives is in the tens of thousands, then that percentage means quite a high number of dissatisfied customers to my way of seeing things.

It's up to you whether you buy from eBay or not. It is true that a lot of illegally gotten items are known to be traded there but that's generally by sellers with low numbers of transactions. Avoid them is the best idea. But there are many thousands of reputable dealers who conduct their businesses, or part of them, as "shops" on eBay and that's another factor you might like to consider. EBay also goes to great lengths these days to protect it's reputation and does have policies in that respect which you can read.

As my last word on the subject, I'm certainly not going to defend eBay - it can do that for itself quite comfortably - but it simply isn't true that it's only good for "low value potential collectables", a statement which demonstrates a lack of understanding and knowledge of what it's all about. A little research would show that there are thousands of such items where bids are made which comfortably exceed the sorts of prices you'd see for digital cameras and where the auctions are successfully and satisfactorily completed. It's all a matter of perspective.

Perhaps it's also worth remembering that the writer who condemns eBay out of hand as being the first refuge of the crooks and frauds is exactly the same person who, in a previous thread, was encouraging law-abiding citizens of the UK to illegally import digital cameras by flying to the States and on return, failing to declare them to Customs, thereby joining the very community he now rails against.

"Nowt so queer as folks" comes readily to mind.

Finally, the best idea is that if you're not 100% sure about spending high $$$s on eBay, then don't. "If in doubt, stay out" is the best advice.

Rhys
08-30-2004, 09:54 AM
Perhaps it's also worth remembering that the writer who condemns eBay out of hand as being the first refuge of the crooks and frauds is exactly the same person who, in a previous thread, was encouraging law-abiding citizens of the UK to illegally import digital cameras by flying to the States and on return, failing to declare them to Customs, thereby joining the very community he now rails against.

Pardon? Customs don't care a hoot about bringing a camera back - they're not after individuals who go to buy a bargain for themselves. They're after traders who'll come back with a suitcase full of digital cameras that they'll sell on. Just the kind of people who'll be buying a load cheaply in the US to flog at just below normal price via e-bay.

David Metsky
08-30-2004, 11:32 AM
Pardon? Customs don't care a hoot about bringing a camera back - they're not after individuals who go to buy a bargain for themselves. They're after traders who'll come back with a suitcase full of digital cameras that they'll sell on. Just the kind of people who'll be buying a load cheaply in the US to flog at just below normal price via e-bay.
While customs does go after traders, they also are concerned with individuals who are evading import duties. The two are not mutually exclusive.

-dave-

Rhys
08-30-2004, 11:45 AM
While customs does go after traders, they also are concerned with individuals who are evading import duties. The two are not mutually exclusive.

-dave-

No but they're more concerned with whether a camera is re-sellable than whether it's imported.

For example, if I buy a camera over there, toss the packaging into the bin and carry it back then they know it's not going to be sold and know it's for personal use only so they're not bothered.

We can carry on arguing the toss over this forever. Can we drop the argument, agree to differ and just get back to talking about cameras?

judge9847
08-30-2004, 04:50 PM
No but they're more concerned with whether a camera is re-sellable than whether it's imported.

For example, if I buy a camera over there, toss the packaging into the bin and carry it back then they know it's not going to be sold and know it's for personal use only so they're not bothered.

We can carry on arguing the toss over this forever. Can we drop the argument, agree to differ and just get back to talking about cameras?

We can drop this but you must realise that giving the "advice" that you did is factually incorrect and you have repeated it here again. That is frankly inexcusable.

David Metsky is right. Customs WILL and often DO successfully prosecute people, individuals, entering the country who cannot PROVE that the goods they are bringing in have been purchased within the EU or specifically the UK for entry here. To say they are interested in traders only is completely wrong.

It is also totally incorrect to assume "they are not bothered" and such statements are misleading to those who do not understand what the rules are. It is unfair on people who might believe that sort of statement and then find themselves in a potentially difficult and expensive situation because they believed what was said. You might say that doesn't happen but you would be wrong, very wrong indeed.

We can and will drop this but there is simply no way is it a matter of a difference of opinion that we can agree to go our separate ways with. In fairness to anyone who might read this thread it is important that they understand that the FACTS are that Customs and Excise have the right to confiscate ANY item until the individual proves that they are the legal owner of the goods according to the laws of the United Kingdom.

It is up to the individual to decide whether or not they should enter the Red Channel when entering the UK from outside the EU. It is worth recording here though that if they choose to do that and are then stopped and found to be carrying goods that fall within the definitions that Customs work with, they can have those goods confiscated and face potential prosecution. Simple as that.

My whole point with this is that I feel it is important that people are not misled into believing that as individuals nothing matters to Customs and Excise. As contributors to this Forum, we are failing in our duty to those visiting or returning to these shores who might read it if we do not give them the facts as opposed to what is mere speculation.

I freely admit that I do not work for Customs BUT I do have family connections with them AND strong personal contacts with very senior Officers of the service. I have checked what I have said here and, errors of understanding on my part excepted, it is accurate.

On top of all that, I live in the South East corner of England, very close to the Channel Ports and even closer to the Tunnel. Because of that I have been lucky enough to travel dozens, if not hundreds, of times to the continent on day trips and annual holidays and the like and from personal experience I can vouch for what actions Customs do take with individuals. I have witnessed it many times over.

Having cleared that issue, and as you say, let's now talk about the cameras themselves.

detate
09-03-2004, 10:13 AM
I have been using ebay for several years and have only had one bad experience (beware, if something seems too good to be true it probably is). I have bought two vehicles and bought and sold several computers and digital cameras there. It is very important to do you own homework and research for any transaction on ebay, whether buying or selling.

I dont have any specific knowledge about "cametaauctions" but review their feedback and check especially the negatives find out how they deal with the negatives, I generally don't deal with rude, vulger, name callers and such like folk. A seller should have a specified method of dealing with problems. Try to find out if you are deaing with an individual selling his personal stuff or a "vendor/retailer." A vendor should have a reasonable return policy.

Just my 2
Doug

Cerwin Vega Fan
09-13-2004, 01:10 AM
I have been checking the seller's feedback and he looks legit. He has sold 100's upon 100's of $1500+ SLR packages and no negatives on the high end gear. It seems most of his negatives stem from items lost in shipping or he tends to give the wrong info when he sells a used item. For example he might sell a refurbished item as a demo item.

gunther
01-19-2007, 08:34 AM
Stay away from cametaauctions!
Their positive feedback score on ebay comes from cametaauctions systematically pressuring customers to withdraw their negative feedback by retaliating with negative feedback that borders on libel (in my case they accused me of being a frauster and wrote "sellers beware"), and then blackmailing customers to mutually withdraw their negative feedback ("if you remove yours, we remove our negative feedback). The feedback mechanism on ebay has serious flaws. Just look at the feedback page of cametaauctions and you will see that thousend of negative feedback have been "mutually withdrawn".
In my case they refused to accept my paypal payment even though paypal was clearly listed as payment option, presumably to save paypal fees they asked me to send a certified cheque...

Telecorder
01-24-2007, 11:40 AM

Thanks.

Am I missing something here? Camera Camera/Cameta Auctions has been around a long time and is considered to be one of the better, very reputable firms to deal with. The link shows over 200,000 eBay postive feedbacks for that % rating; not 60,000

I purchased my demo Nikon D50 and lens kit from them this summer and had nothing but good service, before and after, from them. The D50 arrived in a Nikon refub box, was pristine-could pass for brand new and only had 169-prior actuations. They are one of the largest, approved Nikon dealers that auction/sell the demo/refurbed Nikon systems. They do not sell Grey market items and ship world-wide.

Yes, there are a few negative ratings (<370) and some may have felt they had issues but Cameta is one of the better ones out there... I'd have no qualms about purchasing again from them or recommending the store to others.

Riley
01-25-2007, 09:49 PM
i have made considerable ebay trades in the past
mostly in an international capacity
sometimes for amounts in the $1000's

i have been stung twice, once when a monitor was DoA, replaced via manufacturer warrantee, and upgraded because they were late

and once when i bought a B&W laser printer for the office from a guy that skipped. Paypal refunded the money within a week after reporting

T06
01-28-2007, 01:35 AM
i have made considerable ebay trades in the past
mostly in an international capacity
sometimes for amounts in the $1000's

i have been stung twice, once when a monitor was DoA, replaced via manufacturer warrantee, and upgraded because they were late

and once when i bought a B&W laser printer for the office from a guy that skipped. Paypal refunded the money within a week after reporting

.....................exactly, thank-you, read between the lines, the tools are on ebay, stupid is as stupid does!:confused:

Riley
01-28-2007, 01:44 AM
among the number of trades Ive completed
thats a small fraction of problems
that were cleared up by either warrantee or paypal guarantee,
which i was assured of before purchase

in the main, because of my more remote location, i have been able to access products that i would not ordinarily see, and have done so at some considerable savings to the purse, in the order of 60% of the asking from national traders here, who may have done no better

stupid is as stupid does perhaps
but fools and money are abound it seems :)

LR Max
01-30-2007, 08:00 PM
I bought my D70s from cameta. Two things to remember with them: always buy genuine lenses/kit lenses and not some 3rd party lense they add. I was ignorant and ended up with a fairly poor general purpose lense outta the box.

Second, they will take the better part of a week to process and ship your order.

In hindsight, I wouldn't purchase from them again. I got a package deal from them, and everything that came with the camera (except from the camera body) now sits in a box. Their packaged deals are inferior and I wanted to upgrade almost immediately.

My camera was refurbished and compared to adorama, I got a screaming deal on the body but screwed on everything else.

robbobo
01-30-2007, 10:21 PM
I have bought a couple of lenses from Cameta. I knew they were not the best, but they weren't bad and the prices were very good. I don't think the shipping was slow. I live on the West Coast of the US and both lenses got to me in less than a week.

The original question was about Cameta Auctions. However, it seems that the respondents are mainly interested in commenting about Ebay in general.

Razr
01-30-2007, 10:44 PM
On Ebay since April 1999 and have had only one misrepresented product.

ONE

Of course you should only buy from reputable traders with excellent feeedback. A trader with 15 or even 50 bad trades but more than 10,000 good ones can be trusted to live up to the terms of sale.