PDA

View Full Version : I need your opinions and some help

EWins
04-21-2005, 04:37 AM

haikai
04-21-2005, 06:04 AM
i think they're nice photos. you did a good job of capturing personalities (well, so far as i can tell from photos of people i don't know!). i like the cropping as well. the only thing that kind of bugs me is the exagerrated blurring in the last picture- i take it this was done on the computer? i'm sure you're just trying to focus attention on the face, but i think the problem with this blurring is that it doesn't blur by depth like a real lens would, and ends up looking flat. maybe if you made the blur more subtle or feathered the transition from clarity to blurred more...

anyway, good job :) hope it's a hit with the wife.

-hai

gary_hendricks
04-21-2005, 06:08 AM
Excellent, the soft focus on the last one is great :)

EWins
04-21-2005, 07:35 AM
i think they're nice photos. you did a good job of capturing personalities (well, so far as i can tell from photos of people i don't know!). i like the cropping as well. the only thing that kind of bugs me is the exagerrated blurring in the last picture- i take it this was done on the computer? i'm sure you're just trying to focus attention on the face, but i think the problem with this blurring is that it doesn't blur by depth like a real lens would, and ends up looking flat. maybe if you made the blur more subtle or feathered the transition from clarity to blurred more...

anyway, good job :) hope it's a hit with the wife.

-hai

Thanks for your input, Hai. You're right, the effect was done on my PC using Picasa. I'm not sure if it has a way of adjusting or feathering the blur, I'll have to try it again. I just got photoshop 6, so I'll maybe try that. Or, I may just not blur it all...not sure.

aparmley
04-21-2005, 08:47 PM
Nope, great Idea Ewins, great pictures too! She will greatly appreciate them in a frame no matter what type of frame it is... Youthful joy radiates from those pictures, well done!

Side note: In the back of your mind for future special occasion gifts for your wife; Visit mypublisher.com and check into their books they can make for you. I have made one already of a recent family trip and presented it to my parents. It was a huge hit. The quality is perfect! It made a great coffee table book and everyone who looks at is very impressed! The process was painless and easy. That is after I figured out which photos to choose. So I mentioned to keep it in the back of your mind. every time you take some good photos of the little ones think about which one you would like to add to the book project. They are very affordable. I choose the 9x12 book format clothbound. the pictures are 8x10. you can do front and back or just single pages.. the going rate is like 30 bucks for 20 pages and 2 dollars for every page after that. Its such a great way to showcase good photos... a great gift too. Shipping time was about 5 days after I ordered it.
Shutterfly.com also has photo books you can make. Shutterfly has a new product. Its a called canvas photo. You can order a print that prints out on a canvas frame deal. its expense 89.00 for the smallest 16x20. but what a super cool Idea, the right picture for the right occasion... that could turn out awesome.

EWins
04-22-2005, 12:26 PM
That's a great idea. When I get enough good photos, I will definitely consider that.

Thanks for your words of encouragement. I have to say I'm quite pleased with these photos and I'm sure she'll definitely appreciate the 'effort' but I want them to look genuinely good.

haikai
04-24-2005, 07:01 PM
i've been thinking- this has nothing to do with the actual photographs themselves, but i hope you will consider surrounding these photos with a matte too when you do the framing. i'm probably telling you something you already know, but mattes usually create a bit of "artistic distance" and give photos/artwork a more "professional" presentation.

-hai

EWins
04-25-2005, 04:12 AM
Good point, thanks for mentioning it, Hai. I actually had planned on framing these in a fairly wide(?) black, wood frame with a either a white or off white matte. The walls that these will hang on are painted a light yellowish color. The black frame with the B&W prints should stand out quite nicely...just not sure what matte color to go with.