PDA

View Full Version : Question about lenses compatibility

Pedro
04-21-2005, 04:13 AM
Hello.

Can anyone clarify me if there's any significant gain in using lenses from the same SLR brand? I mean, is there any loss in using, e.g., Sigma lenses on a Canon DSLR?
Can someone point me out to a site with lenses comparison?

Thanks for the support.

Pedro

TheObiJuan
04-21-2005, 04:34 AM
the only downside will be future compatibility. Canon can make it much harder for 3rd party lens manufacturers to have their lense work new canon bodies.
I just purchased a sigma lens and was told told I may have some issues with a flexboard. I may have to send it in... :mad: Sigma have addressed this and is releasing an updated version. I wish I would have known, as I would have gladly waited to make my purchase.

gary_hendricks
04-21-2005, 07:22 AM
Yes - compatibility is the main issue for me when I use 3rd party lenses.

Pedro
04-21-2005, 08:29 AM
But, I've come up with some promotion kits using lenses from a different brand, so I assume that they're compatible. ;) Right?
What about quality? Any main differences? I've checked the 350D review posted here some days ago, and there are some differences between different lenses - where can I check lenses reviews in order to do a bit of homework before going ahead and buy one?

Thanks.

Pedro

jamison55
04-21-2005, 09:43 AM
But, I've come up with some promotion kits using lenses from a different brand, so I assume that they're compatible. ;) Right?
What about quality? Any main differences? I've checked the 350D review posted here some days ago, and there are some differences between different lenses - where can I check lenses reviews in order to do a bit of homework before going ahead and buy one?

Thanks.

Pedro

Try this site for reviews: http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/

Then go to this site to see what shots look like: http://www.pbase.com/cameras (click a brand like Canon or Sigma, and scroll down to see the lenses)

If I may make some sweeping generalizations:

- Canon makes some great lenses and some crappy lenses.

- With few exceptions, the great lenses are more expensive than the crappy ones.

- Sigma/Tamron/Tokina make some great lenses and some crappy ones. All new lenses should be compatible with current digital bodies (used lenses are a crap shoot)

- Sigma/Tamron/Tokina's great lenses usually cost less than the equivalent Canon great lenses (e.g. the Tamron 28-75 2.8 is about $800 less than the Canon 24-70 2.8L, the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 is $400 less than the Canon 70-200 f2.8L...)

- Since third party manufacturers' lenses are reverse enginered, there's no guarantee that they will work with future Canon bodies.

Bottom line, if you are on a budget, and want to get the most "bang for your buck" check out some of the great third party lenses. If you want to build a system that will last a lifetime, save up for great Canon lenses.

In my current kit I have: 3 great Canon lenses, 2 great third party lenses, one crappy Canon lens, and one crappy third party lens...Guess which two never touch my cameras!

Pedro
04-22-2005, 07:47 AM
Hi.
Thanks for the tips.

I've looked at bothe sites and I was inclined to the Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC. Can someone help me? Is this lense Canon 350D compatible? Is this a good quality lense for the Canon 350D?
How can I check if a certain lense is compatible with a certain digicam - manufacturer web site?

Thanks.

Pedro

D70FAN
04-22-2005, 10:42 AM
Hi.
Thanks for the tips.

I've looked at bothe sites and I was inclined to the Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC. Can someone help me? Is this lense Canon 350D compatible? Is this a good quality lense for the Canon 350D?
How can I check if a certain lense is compatible with a certain digicam - manufacturer web site?

Thanks.

Pedro

Pedro, You might want to wait for additional pictures from the 18-200 offerings from both Sigma and Tamron. Or better yet try them yourself. From the pictures I've seen so far I'm not really impressed compared to the Sigma 18-125 DC that I've been using on my D70 for about 8 months.

Since they were "designed for digital" Both the Tamron and Sigma 18-200 lenses should work on the 350D. We have some feedback confirming that the Sigma 18-125 DC works very well on the XT.

If you really need the higher telephoto range you might want to think about something like the Sigma 70-300 APO (although I'm not sure of XT compatibility).

That said, I am planning to try the 18-200's as soon as local stores have them in stock.

gabester
04-22-2005, 11:47 AM
Dunno if anyone's posted this before but here's a comparison (http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/review/2005/04/07/1335.html) between the Sigma & Tamron 18-200s, as well as the Sigma 18-125. The website is in Japanese, but from left to right it's just as I listed it above. I was more interested in the two ultra zooms, so I didn't even look at the 18-125 100% crops. It's rather clear which one of the two is better in edge sharpness and CA in most instances, though.

D70FAN
04-22-2005, 03:57 PM
Dunno if anyone's posted this before but here's a comparison (http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/review/2005/04/07/1335.html) between the Sigma & Tamron 18-200s, as well as the Sigma 18-125. The website is in Japanese, but from left to right it's just as I listed it above. I was more interested in the two ultra zooms, so I didn't even look at the 18-125 100% crops. It's rather clear which one of the two is better in edge sharpness and CA in most instances, though.

Thanks for finding this. It looks like if you could put both lenses together in edge and center sharpness you would have a pretty good lens. Since the test vehicle seems to be an XT this may help a lot of recent and future dSLR buyers pick a non-kit lens.

In user reviews of the Tamron the flaring has been brought up as a problem and it seems to be apparent in one of these shots (the trees) as well. The tree shot is pretty ugly in general, but shows a lot.

Thanks again for the lead.

gabester
04-25-2005, 12:57 PM
Thanks for finding this. It looks like if you could put both lenses together in edge and center sharpness you would have a pretty good lens. Since the test vehicle seems to be an XT this may help a lot of recent and future dSLR buyers pick a non-kit lens.

In user reviews of the Tamron the flaring has been brought up as a problem and it seems to be apparent in one of these shots (the trees) as well. The tree shot is pretty ugly in general, but shows a lot.

Thanks again for the lead.

I just looked at the photos again. The puzzling thing is that, at least at 200mm, the Sigma photos look noticeably bigger. I tried putting the Japanese webpage through an online English translator, but couldn't spot any clues as to why that was. The only size comparison mentioned was between the shorter length 18-125 and the longer lenses. Assuming the photos were all shot with the same camera, perhaps the Tamron is giving the buyer a little extra on the higher end of the zoom range?