PDA

View Full Version : Opportunity of a lifetime: space shuttle launch

Jeff Keller
04-20-2005, 09:19 PM
Next month I will be lucky enough to be in the press area at Kennedy Space Center for the launch of the Space Shuttle. Anybody ever done this before? I'm looking for tips, lens suggestions, etc. I will be bringing my 20D and maybe some other stuff if I can get it...

Thanks!

Bluedog
04-20-2005, 10:18 PM
Awesome ... a good tripod for sure.

gary_hendricks
04-21-2005, 06:19 AM
A backup camera and a video cam too! :)

SamuraiJack
04-21-2005, 03:43 PM
Sweet...I've been to the Kennedy Space Center a few times. I saw the launch of a shuttle as well. It's one of the most amazing things you will ever see. Can't wait to see the photos.

I'm not a photography expert, so I can't offer any opinions on lenses, etc. All I own is my SD500. :)

Wes

Bald Eagle
04-21-2005, 05:48 PM
When next month? we dont live too far away, maybe an hour or two. I would also love to take some great shots. Last time i was there was to fire six nuclear missiles into the ocean. In my military days, and no the warheads were not active
;)

Jeff Keller
04-21-2005, 07:06 PM
When next month? we dont live too far away, maybe an hour or two. I would also love to take some great shots. Last time i was there was to fire six nuclear missiles into the ocean. In my military days, and no the warheads were not active
;)

The launch date is currently May 22nd but it could be as late as June 3rd. I will be in Florida beginning on 5/17. I'll be in the press area which is not accessible to the public. I watched from Port Canaveral a few years ago which is about as close as you can get without being on the base I think.

Bald Eagle
04-21-2005, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the info. I will try and be there if i can. Take as many photos as you can :)

jamison55
04-22-2005, 03:01 AM
Next month I will be lucky enough to be in the press area at Kennedy Space Center for the launch of the Space Shuttle. Anybody ever done this before? I'm looking for tips, lens suggestions, etc. I will be bringing my 20D and maybe some other stuff if I can get it...

Thanks!

Congrats Jeff! I just got a chance to shoot the Boston Marathon from the Press Bridge, and realize what good "seats" news photogs really get!

Since you won't have too much time to fiddle with changing lenses/ multiple cameras you'll probably want to rent a big lens with a nice zoom range. The Canon 35-350L would be my first choice, followed by a Sigma 50-500 "bigma" or Sigma 80-400 OS. Other than that, a solid tripod with a good pan-tilt head and a quick trigger finger...

aparmley
04-28-2005, 03:32 PM
I wouldn't know too much about doing this type of photography and I think Jamison has offered some valuable advice. I might just add that you may not want to spend those precious moments swapping lenses so perhaps two cameras with different lense may be in order?? like I said though, I am not very experienced just trying to think about what problems you may run into...

D70FAN
04-28-2005, 04:23 PM

Thanks!

How many cameras can you carry? I'm sure we would all be willing to enter a lottery to include our cameras, lenses, and a tripod... and ourselves (?)

The last time I was in Florida during a launch was Challenger in 1986. I watched it and still can't believe it. While the outcome was a tragedy the launch was bleepin incredible, and I remember it like it was yesterday.

If you have ever seen the Blue Angels flying low at about Mach .8 out at Fort Mason or Crissey Field (or down at Moffett), multiply it times 100 (thousand).

Congratualtions. Bring back some good shots.

jamison55
04-28-2005, 07:18 PM
How many cameras can you carry? I'm sure we would all be willing to enter a lottery to include our cameras, lenses, and a tripod... and ourselves (?)

The last time I was in Florida during a launch was Challenger in 1986. I watched it and still can't believe it. While the outcome was a tragedy the launch was bleepin incredible, and I remember it like it was yesterday.

If you have ever seen the Blue Angels flying low at about Mach .8 out at Fort Mason or Crissey Field (or down at Moffett), multiply it times 100 (thousand).

Congratualtions. Bring back some good shots.

I watched the Challenger disaster from my home in Ocala, FL (a few hours away from the Cape, but the explosion was very visible). I can still picture the whole scene in my head. I think I was 12 or 13...

Bald Eagle
05-02-2005, 01:35 PM
It sounds like they are going to delay the launch. Maybe as far as July. Anybody else hear about this?

YoAdrienne
07-16-2005, 08:55 AM
As its been delayed again...I was just wondering if you are still planning on going- you've got a great oppertunity!! I was trying to get in the press area...but so far will prob have to slug it out with the public. Any ideas for the best location?

Jeff Keller
07-16-2005, 01:51 PM
As its been delayed again...I was just wondering if you are still planning on going- you've got a great oppertunity!! I was trying to get in the press area...but so far will prob have to slug it out with the public. Any ideas for the best location?

Actually I'm going home on the 18th, as it's not going to happen anytime soon. If they try again in September I may return. As for public viewing, try Port Canveral -- I saw one from there a few years back and it wasn't bad.