PDA

View Full Version : Rebel transfer speeds

snowmonkey5
04-20-2005, 12:11 PM
Hi i was just wanting to ask about the Digital Rebel transfer speeds. I bought the Digital Rebel and a month later they released the XT grrrr.... Anyway I love my Rebel, but it takes forever to transfer alot of files to my Mac. It can take like 45 min or longer if there are more then 100 pics on the card. What I want to know is it just cause I am transfering from the camera or should I buy a CompactFlash Reader. Are they faster at importing to PCs or is it just the pics are big and it just takes that long? I bought a Sandisk 1 Gig CF card. I know I know should have bought a faster one. But i am just starting to get into photography. Thanx for any advice :)

roguecoolman
04-20-2005, 02:09 PM
to my understanding the drebel is usb 1.1 which is slow.

To me the better choice is, get a usb 2.0 CF reader. But you need to make sure your computer has a usb 2.0 port. If it does not, it defaults to 1.1 which you are stuck anyways.

Getting a faster CF card helps as well. Its all about write / read rates. The lexar 80x on a usb 2.0 CF card reader going through a usb 2.0 port on a computer will of course be faster than a slower CF card using the same equipment above.

i'm not sure, but do they make firewire cf cards? I'm not a mac user, so firewire use for me has been very limited.

suemccartin
04-28-2005, 09:38 AM
I believe macintosh primarily comes with firewire ports and maybe some of the later systems offer usb 2.0. I don't care what anyone says, firewire is and always will be much faster, usb 2.0 takes up too much processor time and if you've got other stuff on the bus that just slows it all down.

I have a lexar firewire compact flash reader (takes other cards with an adapter that's not too hard to find for sale) that I bought at compusa, it's a lot faster than my usb 2 reader (my firewire ports stopped working in xp professional--probably won't work again till I reinstall windows so now I'm stuck with the usb 2.0, it's a lot slower). I think it's down to like 40 bucks, I paid almost 80 for mine a couple of years ago.