PDA

View Full Version : Locking Focus on XT

24Peter
04-20-2005, 07:52 AM
Kind of been all around trying to figure this one out. Is there a way - other than either holding the shutter button 1/2 way or setting the camera to MF- to lock focus between shots? I see you can lock the AE with the little de-magnification button (*) but am not clear if you use the customize settings in the menu to get this to lock AF between shots.

Oh - and the only AF assist lamp on this thing is through the on-board flash and the only options are to activate it/stop it/ or through external flash only, right?

gabester
04-20-2005, 08:35 AM
Kind of been all around trying to figure this one out. Is there a way - other than either holding the shutter button 1/2 way or setting the camera to MF- to lock focus between shots? I see you can lock the AE with the little de-magnification button (*) but am not clear if you use the customize settings in the menu to get this to lock AF between shots.

Oh - and the only AF assist lamp on this thing is through the on-board flash and the only options are to activate it/stop it/ or through external flash only, right?

Peter, the other way to is to select CFn 4 (AF/AF lock no AE), which makes the asterisk button your focus lock button. So after setting this custom function, focus, then depress the asterisk button while depressing the shutter release button.

TheObiJuan
04-20-2005, 10:15 AM
Eh, I had it set for a few days and didn't see any difference. For the shooting I do I see no possible advantage.

You are correct on the AF assist lamp. I have the 420EX and use it's AF assist lamp for low light focusing. It is much more discreet than the epilepsy causing on camera strobe.

gary_hendricks
04-20-2005, 10:28 AM
Thanks gabester - I didn't know that one.

24Peter
04-20-2005, 12:47 PM
ObiJuan - that's what I was wondering about. I was at a wedding the other night and decided (very out of character) to get into some of my photos. I gave the camera to someone else and the low light assist on the on-camera flash kicked in and I felt like the dude in "A Clockwork Orange". :eek: What a horrible deal. Can't believe Canon can't come up with something better. Even my Panasonic FZ20 handled it better with that little red laser to do AF assist in low light.

So... the 420EX - what kind of light does it emit during AF assist?

TheObiJuan
04-20-2005, 04:24 PM
it has a red multi-beam projection that assists in focusing. It really makes low light focusing super easy.

on another note, I was going to get the 580ex bc everyone said the 420ex was so bad, and the price difference bw the 550 and the 580 is so small. Then I saw a used, but very mint 420 and purchased it for very cheap. For the shooting I do, It will suffice, and then some. I love it and am glad I didn't blow 75% more money on a 580ex. Instead the money was directed towards a sigma 24-70ex f/2.8 macro dg...

Bluedog
04-20-2005, 05:51 PM
Here's a similar question: do you let the camera choose the auto focus point? I find myself in most situations using the manual selection center point AF otherwise the image isn't in focus as I intended it to be.