PDA

View Full Version : Do you need........

Savannah
04-20-2005, 05:05 AM
Do you need image stabilization with the Rebel XT?? I'm not going to use a tripod!!
I was looking at the 70-300 Canon lens with SI

Primary use will be photographing wild children (my own) and wildlife animals.

I would appreciate any suggestions for lenses for the Rebel XT.

I would like to spend less than $2,000 for the entire camera, lens, and acces.

Thanks

Stacy

D70FAN
04-20-2005, 06:13 AM
Do you need image stabilization with the Rebel XT?? I'm not going to use a tripod!!
I was looking at the 70-300 Canon lens with SI

Primary use will be photographing wild children (my own) and wildlife animals.

I would appreciate any suggestions for lenses for the Rebel XT.

I would like to spend less than $2,000 for the entire camera, lens, and acces.

Thanks

Stacy

Image stabilized lenses are nice to have if you shoot a lot of low light, long telephoto shots, or have shakey hands (as some of us do).

At $1150 the Canon 70-300 IS lens is pretty expensive, so you might want to try a decent consumer grade non-IS lens, like the $250 Sigma 70-300 APO, first to see if IS is really 100% necessary.

Savannah
04-20-2005, 06:31 AM
Thanks George for your reply. I made an error (typo) . I ment to refer to the Canon 75-300, not the 70-300. It cost around $400 +/-.
Never the less, you made some good points which are greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the Sigma suggestion. I just DON'T want to have buyers regret.

Stacy

speaklightly
04-20-2005, 06:32 AM
Stacy-

On the XT and the 20D I have no problems handholding lenses up to 200mm. Thus far, 200mm is the longest tele that we use. The main thing to remember is to keep your shutter speed as high as possible. That may require an increase of ISO at times to keep the shutter speed high.

Sarah Joyce

gabester
04-20-2005, 08:09 AM
Stacy-

On the XT and the 20D I have no problems handholding lenses up to 200mm. Thus far, 200mm is the longest tele that we use. The main thing to remember is to keep your shutter speed as high as possible. That may require an increase of ISO at times to keep the shutter speed high.

Sarah Joyce

In addition to a high shutter speed/ISO, there are a few things you can do to minimize hand shake (works for me at least):

1. Brace up against a wall, garbage can, post...whatever.
2. Brace your elbows against your chest.
3. After focusing with your non-camera grip hand, flatten it so that its length extends down the barrel of the lens (which presumably is a long lens).
4. Take a breath, then a second breath but let that breath out only halfway...until you
5. ...depress the shutter release.

Another trick (I've only done this a couple of times but seems to work) is to carry a long piece of string, stepped on one end of the string and held the other end with my focusing hand, then pull on the string to maintain a tension - it works sort of like an ersatz inverse tripod. Interestingly, it's worked!

D70FAN
04-20-2005, 10:29 AM
In addition to a high shutter speed/ISO, there are a few things you can do to minimize hand shake (works for me at least):

1. Brace up against a wall, garbage can, post...whatever.
2. Brace your elbows against your chest.
3. After focusing with your non-camera grip hand, flatten it so that its length extends down the barrel of the lens (which presumably is a long lens).
4. Take a breath, then a second breath but let that breath out only halfway...until you
5. ...depress the shutter release.

Another trick (I've only done this a couple of times but seems to work) is to carry a long piece of string, stepped on one end of the string and held the other end with my focusing hand, then pull on the string to maintain a tension - it works sort of like an ersatz inverse tripod. Interestingly, it's worked!

Shooting tricks are shooting tricks...pistol or camera. The idea is the same. I had to give up the former but can still do the latter. Thanks for the string idea. It doesn't get much cheaper or lighter than that! I will give it a try.

You might want to patent the idea as I'm sure that the folks at SLIC and Bogan-Manfrotto are working on the Pro-Stabilizing Cable as we speak. ;)

gary_hendricks
04-20-2005, 10:36 AM
Those are great IS tips gabster. I'll try them out next time I don't have a tripod with me :)

Savannah
04-20-2005, 10:52 AM
Shooting tricks are shooting tricks...pistol or camera. ;)

I guess I need to buy a Benelli and start skeet shooting as well! It couldn't hurt. :rolleyes: LOL

I am so thankful for all the replys and great info. You are very helpful and I think its great you take your time to help others

Stacy

gabester
04-21-2005, 08:32 AM
Shooting tricks are shooting tricks...pistol or camera. The idea is the same. I had to give up the former but can still do the latter. Thanks for the string idea. It doesn't get much cheaper or lighter than that! I will give it a try.

You might want to patent the idea as I'm sure that the folks at SLIC and Bogan-Manfrotto are working on the Pro-Stabilizing Cable as we speak. ;)

I can't take credit for that idea; I read it from somewhere (Popular Photography?) many years ago.

If someone's gonna patent it, maybe they should use one of those magician's strings that stiffens up on command - instant monopod.

jamison55
04-21-2005, 08:48 AM

I think I'll bring a piece of string next time I bring my .357 to the range... :D

D70FAN
04-21-2005, 11:42 AM
I think I'll bring a piece of string next time I bring my .357 to the range... :D

Maybe a bunji...

...let us know how that string thing works with a .357. ;)

I sold my "collection" when I wandered away from competitive shooting after the Navy and Coast Guard back in the Mid-70's. Never used a string... but probably wouldn't have hurt....

jamison55
04-21-2005, 12:05 PM
Maybe a bunji...

...let us know how that string thing works with a .357. ;)

I sold my "collection" when I wandered away from competitive shooting after the Navy and Coast Guard back in the Mid-70's. Never used a string... but probably wouldn't have hurt....

Though not as easy to maintain in "Red" Massachusetts, I have been slowly adding to my collection - most recently with one of those snazzy, plastic, Austrian jobbies - Don't get to "actuate the shutter" as much anymore, though...too many pictures to take!

D70FAN
04-21-2005, 04:22 PM
Though not as easy to maintain in "Red" Massachusetts, I have been slowly adding to my collection - most recently with one of those snazzy, plastic, Austrian jobbies - Don't get to "actuate the shutter" as much anymore, though...too many pictures to take!

Not to get too far off topic, but I kinda like the G.... 25 (I assume you mean those Austrians). A good freind up in (red) Oregon (ex-policeman) introduced me to one last year, and I might buy his "old" one when he gets a new red handled model. ;) Here in Blue AZ it's not that big a problem, but I have a couple more camera accessories to get first.

jamison55
04-21-2005, 05:13 PM
Not to get too far off topic, but I kinda like the G.... 25 (I assume you mean those Austrians). A good freind up in (red) Oregon (ex-policeman) introduced me to one last year, and I might buy his "old" one when he gets a new red handled model. ;) Here in Blue AZ it's not that big a problem, but I have a couple more camera accessories to get first.

Yeah, those are the right Austrians...for me it is important to be able to use my hardware, so I went with the 17 (since it uses the cheapest "film" and fits nicely in my large hands). I have a couple of friends who are loyal to a certain German brand, and make fun of all of the plastic, but it balances really well, and feels solid in my hand (and a heck of a lot lighter in my "belt case"). All in all a fun hobby, even if it is almost as expensive as photography! One of the reasons that I decided that the photography had to pay for itself...