PDA

View Full Version : NEF RAW File support??

aparmley
04-19-2005, 07:20 PM
I was wondering if anyone here had any first hand knowledge if Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0 recognizes the NEF RAW file from Nikon D70 camera. I love Photoshop Elements 3.0 and I was looking forward to working with the RAW image files that DSLRs can offer. I am not very knowledgable in this regard and I am seeking your help on this matter.

Ray Schnoor
04-19-2005, 09:35 PM
Adobe's website is unclear on the D70. It says that it supports raw images, but doesn't list the D70 as a supported camera. One way to be sure is to download the trial version and give it a try for free.

Ray.

aparmley
04-20-2005, 03:30 PM
Hey Thanks Ray. I already own Adobe PSE 3.0. I was just wondering about the D70... I'm currenlty researching DSLRs and trying to pick one that would work the best for me...

JubalH
04-21-2005, 08:56 AM
Hey Thanks Ray. I already own Adobe PSE 3.0. I was just wondering about the D70... I'm currenlty researching DSLRs and trying to pick one that would work the best for me...

That's easy enough to test. Want me to send you a link to a NEF file so you can try to open it?

aparmley
04-21-2005, 05:38 PM
Sure sounds great! I'd appreciate it thanks!

thesween
04-26-2005, 09:26 AM
Just last night shot some stuff in NEF RAW and tried to Photoshop it. Mine is, I beleive, 3.1. No good, it wouldn't recognize the extension.

Ray Schnoor
04-26-2005, 09:56 AM
When looking at the Adobe website, it mentions that Photoshop CS supports raw files, but doesn't say anything about older versions supporting it. It does say that Photoshop Elements 3 supports raw files.

Ray.

thesween
04-26-2005, 02:19 PM
Well, then my Photoshop Elements should support RAW. Let me try again, although I am near certain it refused to read the files last time around.

Ray Schnoor
04-26-2005, 06:02 PM
Just last night shot some stuff in NEF RAW and tried to Photoshop it. Mine is, I beleive, 3.1. No good, it wouldn't recognize the extension.

Well, then my Photoshop Elements should support RAW.

Do you have Photoshop 3.1, Photoshop Elements 3.0, or Photoshop Elements 3.0.1. If it is Photoshop 3.1, I doubt if it would support RAW images from any camera. If it is Photoshop Elements, you may want to download an update from the following website http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=40&platform=Windows

Also, what camera are you using, as not all cameras are supported.

Ray.

aparmley
04-26-2005, 07:09 PM
The Camera raw update there is for Photoshop CS. BOOO! It supports the 300D and the D70. I use PSE 3.0... Thanks guys

D70FAN
04-26-2005, 07:14 PM
I was wondering if anyone here had any first hand knowledge if Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0 recognizes the NEF RAW file from Nikon D70 camera. I love Photoshop Elements 3.0 and I was looking forward to working with the RAW image files that DSLRs can offer. I am not very knowledgable in this regard and I am seeking your help on this matter.

Suggest you try RSE112 (Raw Shooters Essentials), a free RAW processor that uses Photoshop (and probably Elements 3.0) as the save function.

The price is right.

http://www.pixmantec.com/index2.html

thesween
04-26-2005, 09:35 PM
I've tried downloading the elements update, and it gives me problems. My guess is that my version of "elements" shares a boatload of files with the scanner it came with a few years ago, and those files are probably designed to not allow updating without paying a fee to Adobe. Honestly, with so much out there for free, I can't say that I blame them.

The bigger issue, at least IMO, is what are the benefits of shooting/saving RAW? Are the pluses so huge that they make hassling with this in the here and now worthwhile? Seriously, any discussion would be good, thanks...

Ray Schnoor
04-26-2005, 09:47 PM
The Camera raw update there is for Photoshop CS. BOOO! It supports the 300D and the D70. I use PSE 3.0... Thanks guys

The page that is linked is for updates for Photoshop Elements. They have the camera raw 2.4 update listed under PSE 3.0 updates because it works with PSE 3. Just follow the directions for Photoshop CS, but use Photoshop Elements in place of Photoshop CS in the directions. It will not, however, work with version 1.0 or 2.0

Ray.

Ray Schnoor
04-26-2005, 09:53 PM
I've tried downloading the elements update, and it gives me problems. My guess is that my version of "elements" shares a boatload of files with the scanner it came with a few years ago...

I doubt if you have Photoshop Elements 3, then, because PSE 3 was released in October 2004. My guess is that you have a previous version of Elements, or even PhotoDeluxe(Photoshop Elements precursor).

Ray.

D70FAN
04-28-2005, 05:49 PM
I've tried downloading the elements update, and it gives me problems. My guess is that my version of "elements" shares a boatload of files with the scanner it came with a few years ago, and those files are probably designed to not allow updating without paying a fee to Adobe. Honestly, with so much out there for free, I can't say that I blame them.

The bigger issue, at least IMO, is what are the benefits of shooting/saving RAW? Are the pluses so huge that they make hassling with this in the here and now worthwhile? Seriously, any discussion would be good, thanks...

RAW has real value if you need to be able to correct the final image as if it were being re-shot. It is truely a digital negative, except with this negative you get to change almost everything.

It's a lot less hassle than trying to correct in JPEG, and RAW retains the original information and detail. Keep in mind that the original image information is RAW sensor data. Using JPEG, the camera then processes the data and stores it as a JPEG image with some loss. RAW images are the same RAW sensor data, unprocessed, so now you can have full control of the image, and even to the point of recovering some overexposure. A feat that is almost impossible with JPEG images or film negatives.

I have to admit that most of the time I take the easy way out, and shoot in JPEG fine, as I have a pretty good pre-shot routine that I remember to do most of the time. But when I'm shooting for other people, or in weird lighting I switch to RAW, it only takes a few seconds, and it's generally worth it.

P.S. Download the RSE software. It's free, and offers all of the controls of the PS plug in.

Cold Snail
04-29-2005, 12:25 PM
I agree with George, I use RawShooter Essentials to initially view my shots as it's so damn fast compared to Photoshop.
Once the c**p has been deleted (most of it, in my case :rolleyes: ) I use Photochop to finish them off if needed.

D70FAN
04-29-2005, 01:14 PM
I agree with George, I use RawShooter Essentials to initially view my shots as it's so damn fast compared to Photoshop.
Once the c**p has been deleted (most of it, in my case :rolleyes: ) I use Photochop to finish them off if needed.

Actually, another decent freebee is Irfanview. Believe it or not it will read RAW files from multiple formats and save in TIFF or JPEG. Then you don't even need Photoshop. Elements (all versions) will work fine.

http://www.irfanview.com/

aparmley
04-29-2005, 04:00 PM
Thank you for your contributions George, those are very useful products/information. Now, I need a DSLR to produce the RAW file! :D Hehehe, Can you help out there George? [ 300.00 should do me just fine!] ;)

D70FAN
04-29-2005, 04:57 PM
Thank you for your contributions George, those are very useful products/information. Now, I need a DSLR to produce the RAW file! :D Hehehe, Can you help out there George? [ 300.00 should do me just fine!] ;)

That would be helpful wouldn't it? I've been searchin' for lens money, so if you find Len let me know.

dSLR owners are always looking for "lensmoney". I've even considered a cardboard sign and a corner nearby, but my wife always finds the cardboard sign. ;)

aparmley
04-30-2005, 05:35 PM
LOL @ George. Thats good stuff. Not a bad idea really...Keeping my eye peeled for the lens grants, will keep you posted. ;) .

I suppose there is always the option of heading over to elance.com or something similar and looking for a nice little weekend job to complete...??? but I wouldn't know if that kinda work is worth it.

bheiser
05-05-2005, 09:08 AM
Hi - in response to this question ... Photoshop Elements 3.01 *does* support .NEF files from the D70. I have been shooting all my shots in raw mode with my D70, and I use Elements to read them.

I hope this helps.

-Bill

NikonDave
06-04-2005, 02:57 AM

Yes, Photoshop Elements 3.0 *does* support the Nikon D70 NEF RAW file format
*if* you download the proper plug-in. Go to this download page: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=2711

Make sure you get the file named "Camera_Raw_3_1.zip". The adobe website is confusing beacuse you would normally navigate to a page that would prompt you to download a file called "Camera_Raw_2_4.zip" which does not work. I have a D70s and Photoshop Elements 3.0 and this plug-in definitely does the trick for reading the NEF files.

shaiju
11-19-2005, 02:23 PM
I was wondering if anyone here had any first hand knowledge if Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0 recognizes the NEF RAW file from Nikon D70 camera. I love Photoshop Elements 3.0 and I was looking forward to working with the RAW image files that DSLRs can offer. I am not very knowledgable in this regard and I am seeking your help on this matter..I can't open NEF format filesin Adobe Photoshop.

K1W1
11-19-2005, 04:06 PM
When you load the Software that came with your camera (Nikon View and Nikon Edit) it installs a plug in into Photoshop that allows it to open NEF files.