PDA

View Full Version : USA Photo Nation?

btg108
07-06-2004, 01:16 PM
Anyone have any experience with USA Photo Nation (www.usaphotonation.com)?

They have an amazing price for the CoolPix 5700 $400 w/ $150 rebate... wondering if they're reputable. Oddly they seem to be cashing in on the rebate themselves and only charging $350 for the camera.

Jake Conner
07-06-2004, 01:34 PM
Generally, I'd say check Reseller Ratings (www.resellerratings.com). But I already did, and USA Photo Nation is not listed... usually a strike against a store. I checked their site, and their prices are far too good to be true... I'd steer clear of this store.

Jake

Nick
07-07-2004, 10:48 AM
They don't have the smallest indication of being a reputable dealer. A google search on them and reviews regarding the store also turned up nothing. I advise against buying from such a place.

btg108
07-07-2004, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the input- that was pretty much what I'd feared.

eric55
07-07-2004, 07:23 PM
there prices look great. i say try it but first try getting someone on the phone if you can its a plus, and then if you get it and you got screwed you could always dispute the charge on your credit card. so its a win win

streetrodder
07-12-2004, 06:31 PM
there prices look great. i say try it but first try getting someone on the phone if you can its a plus, and then if you get it and you got screwed you could always dispute the charge on your credit card. so its a win win
I am trying them...I ordered a Nikon 5700 today..My cost is 378.90 including shipping...I gave them my credit card number and if it doesn't show I will dispute it and not have to pay. However, if it does come I have a bargain in a camera..I did ask them if it was new or refurbished..They said it was new..
Terry

Tristan
07-12-2004, 08:04 PM
Make sure and post back with results!

-Tristan

garden7
07-13-2004, 04:15 AM
I recently bought an olympus C-770 in a package deal. The camera was 387.00 The package deal was 680.00 with eatra lenses, high capacity battery, and a five year warranty. Anyway the extra battery did not come with it. I called and they said that the high capacity battery was included with the camera. I replied by saying the battery that came with the camera is the standard battery. They said that they exchanged it and put the higher capacity battery in there. Then I replied by saying it was factory sealed and it also said that on their web site. They said they had four different versions of the camera and I received the version with the high capacity battery. I went to Best Buy and looked to see what battery came with the camera and it was the identical low capacity battery. I asked the sales rep before I bought the extra battery if it was seperate from the battey that came with the camera and if I would be getting the battery in addition to that battery. He said yes. I called again and told them about what I did at Best Buy. Then they had another story. They said that the price of the camera on their site does not include the battery and I received the upgraded package with the battery. Each time I proved that what they were saying did not make sense they came up with another lie. Bottom line if it's too good to be true, it probably is. They are very rude about trying to solve customers problems. Stay away from this company.

SGeosits
07-16-2004, 03:58 PM
Thought you all might like to see this...

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller7041.html

The first reply says that this same company is posing as USAPhotoNation.com

waves3464
07-16-2004, 09:37 PM
I had a bad experience with this online merchant as well. Th good news is I cancelled my order before sent out payment.

This company advertised on their webpage that they have Canon 10D for sale for $825. I knew it would be a grey market product but on their site they said it's available for immediately delivery. So I went ahead and ordered the camera along with battery grip. I specified 3-5 days ground shipping at the cost of $44.

A few days after placing my order, I did not receive any shipping info so I tried to call their 800 phone number but it's busy from 7A-2P. So I sent them an email asking when they plan to ship the product to me? A few hours later, the sales rep called me to verify shipment address and credit card info. He went ahead and try to convince me to purchase warranty at $150/yr. He told me that the camera is new in box but does not come with battery, battery charger, manual or any kind of warranty. I declined the warranty purchase then he made a final "bad-salesman" manuever by telling me that it will take 6-8 weeks before they can ship the product to me. They said they don't have the product right now and has to get it fromthe grey market.

The site also listed that they belongs to Association of Ethical Internet Professionals. This association is not in existence. They also listed that they belongs to American Express Fraud Guarnaty Program. American Express told me today that they never heard of such a program.

This online merchant is fraud! Don't do business with them. :mad:

waves3464
07-16-2004, 09:42 PM
See my reply below. Do not buy from them. They're run by crooked who has no intention of selling you the sales item. Lots of sales gimmick! Trust me it's not worth the headache. Go buy from other reputable stores. Abes, 47th St. Phot, buydig....

Eduado
07-17-2004, 01:44 PM
The same story is repeated over and over..
I bought a camcorder. The told me about the upgraded battery
for 50 dlls, then the camera came with the small battery I called them
and they are terrible, very rude with the costumer, and full of lies.

The called me back and told me about filters, extra battery, warranty... etc.

They claimed that without the extra filters the camera would not work properly, that they were absolutely needed.

About the battery he said that they exchanged it for an upgraded model that lasts 4 hours. I went to sonystyle and ask about the battery duration and it only lasts 80 minutes, and is the model that COMES WITH THE CAMERA!!!.

I called them again but the number is always busy.

If you see their website, some accessories don't have the model, characterisitcs or anything. Its a fraud.

I sent an e-mail expecting their reply those guys don't care they haven't replied at all.

I am worried because I haven't received all what I bought from them they are saying that its "backordered" buy after reading this reviews I think that they are not going to send me anything. What can I do???

Of course they talk to you about the upgrades by phone. That way you don't have any paper to confirm that you actually paid or ordered anything extra from them.

The receipt is not showing the extra 50 dlls for the battery.

Stay away from those guys.

Eduardo

Jake Conner
07-17-2004, 07:44 PM
You could tell your CC company to contest the charge...

Jake

fazy20000
07-20-2004, 07:21 PM
They are bunch of crooks!

I am going to make a formal complain to the Better Business Bureau and I recommend anyone who have had problem with them do the same. Also, remember your credit card company can do a lot for you. Each complains goes against USAphotonation ďcreditĒ and as a result they have to give a higher rate to credit card companies. Please, do your share to put and end to this.

Here is my story!

I should have listened to my gut feel. If something is too good to be true, it probably is.

I ordered a camcorder from USA Photo Nation. I placed my order for just a camera on line. They contacted me the next day and talked me into buying some accessories. As soon as I got off the phone couple of issues bothered me. For example I was told that the battery that comes with the camera has a lifetime of only 20 min and I had to buy extra batteries. This didnít match with Sonyís product spec. I tried very hard to get a hold of them to clear some concerns. However, either the phone was either busy or I was put on hold for a long period of time. After wasting 3 hours of my time, I decided to put the ball in their court.

I called my credit card company and asked them to put a hold on my credit card. Also, I sent them an email, explaining the situation and I asked to have my order cancelled. I didnít hear from them till the next day. A lady called to let me that there was a problem with my credit card. I explained the situation to her and I was put on hold again. A man name Mike spoke to me, I explained the issue of not being able to get a hold of anyone. I didnít get into detail of the order problem. He told me that Verizon has taken away 40 lines so the phone has been busy. His explanation was alarming. I told him that could explain the busy signal. However, it does not explain why I was put on hold forever. He offered to reduce my order from $970 by $50. I told him thatís OK, I will call back in two weeks if the problem with your customer service is resolved I will place my order with the full amount. Suddenly, he became very rude and intimidating. He told me not to call him Mike anymore since we are not friends. I must refer to him as Sir. I told him that is fine Sir. He added that he will charge my credit card again and that I will pay for this. I told him that the product hasnít been shipped. He said, "I will make sure you pay". I told him you are not going to get a penny out of me and I hung-up.

jkbales
07-27-2004, 06:35 AM
I've talked to Mike and he does give it the hard sell. Stays nice as long as you go with his program. Their website doesn't accept orders, I guess they miss too many sales pressure opportunities that way. Like $250 for a set of three filters! Gotta have that extended warranty, too. Wanted to sell me a "european" 10D with an extended warranty that he swore would be serviced in an authorized Canon USA facility. Sure. Don't forget the battery upgrade, since all you'll get is a 20 minute cheapie. By the time Mike's done you'll pay more than if you went to the camera store in the mall. Watch for out for "price creep"; the bottom line price is more that what the individual items are quoted at. He did that to me.

:( Royal Camera is the same - they want $250 for an Minolta A2 battery and charger, the same one that Minolta ships in the box. Grey market, "international" warranty, unbundled camera, no battery at all they said, 6% shipping charge. Very short with customers. They advertise in print but the prices are different and they sign minimum service level agreements with the magazine.

:mad: TCS Camera is the worst I've experienced - extremely rude, no customer service, high shipping. They were yelling in the phone at me for commenting that I thought an $59 shipping charge was high on a 10D for 7-12 day ground. The "Canon Department" guy wouldn't give his name, got mad when I said I could ship it for $35 Priority Overnight and have it by 10:00 AM. He said "I'm tired of you guys whining about the shipping." and "OK tough guy, go buy it somewhere else. Go on, tough guy". I did. Customer service manager Ronnie listened briefly to my comments, dared me to find a better price, then hung up on me. I guess their business is so good they don't need customers.

:D Buydig.com - Highly recommended. Great service, emails, tracking, shipped in two hours, camera is perfect with USA warranty, all cards and accessories, exactly what they advertise. Excellent customer reviews, five stars. I paid less (including 2nd day air shipping) than I would have for same "package" from Royal, TCS, Digital Liquidators or any of the "bargain" sites.

http://buydig.com/shop/home.aspx

astroboy
07-27-2004, 06:43 AM
You could tell your CC company to contest the charge...

Jake

I work for a bank, and unfortunately if you have bought something with your credit card and have not recieved what u asked for, you can only dispute the charge on your card if you have not recieved anything at all. If you bought something on your credit card and have not recieved everything they said they would supply, you have to take it up with the company yourself. :mad:

Greg
07-28-2004, 09:09 AM
I couldn't help myself. I just had to see if this $325 ($475 - $150 mail-in rebate) for a Nikon Coolpix 5700 was really true. So, I called the 800 number at USAPhotoNation.

Here is the scam - What they are selling is "just the replacement camera." It does not come with anything else you need - battery, cable, memory card, etc. If you want the full retail package it costs $599.

I seriously doubt that the $150 mail-in rebate would apply to the replacement camera, even though they advertise it this way on their web site. (I wonder what Nikon would say about this?) So, if you want to compare their price to everybody else's, then use the $599.

Greg

hgarrett
08-01-2004, 12:27 PM
Yep, I purchased a Sony Cybershot P100 for $299. Two days later I received an email asking me to call them in regards to my order. Thinking there was a problem, I proceeded to stay on hold for 1 hour. When they answered, I was given the upgrade options at "great prices". I asked about the upgrade price of a bigger memory stick and he said, "oh, it's not the memory stick that you need", it's the battery. "That battery only lasts 30 minutes! ......and if you buy the 5 year warranty and camera case, I will give you blah, blah, blah"....I told him I really didn't want anything else, just the camera. After all the slick talk, I ended up with a 5 year warranty and extra battery at a great price....but of course when the package arrived - no extra battery. I called and they said, "you got an upgraded package with a better battery - the C upgrade". No, I got the Sony sealed camera box with the NP-FR1 standard battery. There is no upgrade, better battery for the P100 as I found out from Sony. So they ripped me off for a $60 - $80 battery, and I'm getting ready to call them back (forget email) one more time. If it doesn't work, and I'm pretty sure it won't - I'm a Scorpio and this will not stop here. Any suggestions from any of you who have been ripped off is welcomed. I plan to contact every govenmental agency that deals with fraudulent companies until I get my $60 worth.

jkbales
08-01-2004, 07:26 PM
Go to http://www.resellerratings.com/ and leave your opinion. Dispute the charge with credit company. Cancel the card and get a new one issued (just in case they try to "upgrade" you some more).

John

YonksMan
08-01-2004, 07:45 PM
Go to http://www.resellerratings.com/ and leave your opinion. Dispute the charge with credit company. Cancel the card and get a new one issued (just in case they try to "upgrade" you some more).

John

I'm glad I did a little research on this company. I've been thinking about ordering a Canon GL2 camcorder from their site (it is at least $500 less than every other site). After reading what everyone has posted here & on resellerratings.com ... I'll definitely be stearing clear of this merchant.

Here is the direct link to USA Photo Nation resellerratings ... http://www.resellerratings.com/seller8278.html

db2004
08-03-2004, 01:17 PM
.. just had an experience today

Placed the order, had to call back to "confirm the order"
The guy felt almost offensed because I did not accept to purchase the "discounted" accessories.

Next thing, ".. hmmm... let me check if we have it in stock". I start to feel unsure .. I just placed the order from the page that said you had in stock!
The answer was "we have a high volume of marchandise, sometimes we run ourt of stock".

He immediatelly asked me if I want to purchase warranty. I answered that the 1 year manufacturer warranty is just enough for me.
"oh, did you think that at that price you have US warranty?"
Obviously, I cancelled the order when I heard that. I had no information that the camcorder is sold with no USA warranty, not on the order page or in their confirmation, not in the item description. (August 3rd, 2004).
He told me that the camera come from the grey market, from "overseas".

That would not be have been a problem if I had that information when I placed the order.

decide for yourself!

Cerwin Vega Fan
08-22-2004, 12:42 AM
I'm very glad I happen to find this thread. I had just sent an email to their site and was about to purchase a camera from them. I won't even bother considering their company now for a purchase.

Sumora
08-22-2004, 01:59 AM
I have been shopping for a digital camera and have been looking at A&M photo world seriously. After checking www.resellerratings.com, they will not get a dime of my money. A&M must have close to, if not the worst rating in the system.

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1988.html :eek:

busguy
09-06-2004, 02:59 PM
Go to www.resellerratings.com. I was going to buy a Nikon D70 from USA Photo Nation. Based on the input by dozens of customers USA Photo Nation is a very unscrupulous, dishonest company and I'd be stupid to proceed with the purchase. They apparently also go under the name "radioactive". Beware.........if the price seems too good to be true it usually is.

vajranatural@yahoo.com
10-21-2004, 02:53 PM
I agree with the negative postings thus far. Overall, the integrity of USA PhotoNation and its ability to act as a healthy company are at the bottom. I implore anyone to NOT order from them.

I completed my order online and they company said that they had the cameras in stock. They sent me a message saying that they couldn't process the credit card information but all of the information was correct. I wasn't able to speak with a live person until several days after the fact but left a couple of voice mails. By the time the person called me back they simply said that they were out of the camera and didn't offer any help to resolve my situation. I had to pry out of them that they were reordering and that there would be more in 3 weeks. After getting off of the phone I decided to write an email stating that I would like their official position on the matter and feel that they need to fill the order as soon as possible. They sent me a generic reply that told me what I already knew. This was one of the worst customer experiences I've had and I'm typically lenient with companies since I can understand what things can go wrong. In my opinion, this company is not structured or planned appropriately and their customer reviews scream this very loudly.

I am now happy to pay 70 dollars more for the camera that I wanted. ;) We are always the winners!!

Rhys
10-21-2004, 04:52 PM
Generally, I can say that I'd never deal with any company that doesn't:

Have a physical address given on their website.
Have a physical address that matches its DNS registration record.
Have a phone manned and answered in office hours (within 5 attempts at calling).
Offer goods at real-world prices.

Thus far, none of the photo-retailer websites have impressed me as to their honesty and integrity.

In general I say it's worth the risk for low-priced products but for higher-priced things, steer clear. I know it's possible to cancel and change credit cards but it's a hassle setting up all the direct debits from it all over again.

jstrausmd
11-03-2004, 10:08 PM
"amazing prices" aren't real; 5 days after placing order online for sony camera, i received an e-mail asking me to call them; owner refused to sell camera at the advertised price unless i also purchased over priced accessories. i haven't seen any positive reviews of this e-tailer.

zztop
11-17-2004, 02:27 PM
I also think this company is scamming customers.
I placed an order 6 weeks ago for a digital camera at a great price. I received an email from customer service stating they are "still trying to contact me" although, they never made an attempt. I called to talk to Steve (as was stated in the email) and got through after several attempts and voice mails.
Steve proceeded to push unneeded accessories willingly misstating statistics about the battery life. (he said battery dies after 20 shots, while in reallity its is closer to 200) Then he offered an extremely expensive CF memory card - while the camera takes SD memory cards!
After I refused his outlandish offers he said my order is now processed and I should receive the merchandise soon. Within 10 minutes of this conversation I received an email stating item was on back order and will arrive in 4-6 weeks...

After 6 weeks... (today).
I called and spoke with "customer service". The girl I talked to was chewing gum throughout our conversation! The dialog went something like this -
I: I am calling to enquire about order #xxx
CS: It is on back order for 4-6 weeks
I: Yes I know, but it already has been 6 weeks
CS: - silence -
I: Hello?
CS: Yes
I: So when will I see my item?
CS: 4-6 weeks, it is on back order
I: do you mean 4-6weeks from date of purchase?
CS: yes
I: but it has already been 6 weeks, now what?
CS: - silence -
I: Hello?
I: are you talking to me, or what?
I: (trying to keep it professional)OK, so do you KNOW if you gonna get some inventory in?
CS: I am not sure it's on back order
I: can you CHECK?
CS: sure, hold on.
-- background music for good 5 minutes --
CS: ok, the item you ordered is on back order, should arrive in 4-6 weeks
I: from today?
I: - silence -
CS: would you like to cancel your order?
I: yes
CS: ok, your order is now cancelled. Good bye.

THE END.

PixChick
11-17-2004, 10:41 PM
CS: would you like to cancel your order?
I: yes
CS: ok, your order is now cancelled. Good bye.

THE END.

Well, at least you didn't lose any money. That is better than some do when they get scammed.

Rhys
11-18-2004, 08:50 AM
Well, at least you didn't lose any money. That is better than some do when they get scammed.

I like the fact I can investigate products via the internet. I do buy things online but buy only services such as my ISP, domain registrations and my webhost. I don't buy anything else aside from the occasional small thing from 7dayshop.com. Let's face it - I hardly use my credit card at all. I'll use it when I'm in another country but at home I buy everything with cash unless it costs more than GBP50, at which point I get a lot more oomph from my card provider if something goes a bit strange.

Generally, my experience is that online trading is fraught with danger. The experiences I hear about are generally bad. I know some will support online trading to the death but from personal experience and the experiences of those I know show that the death of online trading will be greeted with much relief and joy.

drunkandcrazy
03-02-2005, 07:20 PM
I tried to order a Fuji Finepix S-5100 and the order went through. I then got an email receipt. When I read the receipt it reported that I had purchased the item with Mastercard (it was VISA and I know I selected VISA) but showed the last 4 digits of my VISA. I immediately called them and spoke with Mike the low life. He then told me that he could correct the CC card error and wanted to know if I spoke Japanese. My response was "why the hell are you asking me that"? He then told me that the manual was in Japanese and that I would only get the camera with no usb cable, battery, memory stick, or any other accessory. I was then told that I could upgrade my package for an additional $159.00 that would give me that accessories (that normally ship for free) and the manual in English. I immediately canceled my order. Die bastards Die.

rduniway
03-07-2005, 02:38 PM
I ordered a Canon A95 from you Dec. 28th when you briefly had it listed for $235. You subsequently sent out an message saying it was out of stock and thus back ordered 6-8 weeks. I checked back at 6 weeks via email, and was told the item was still back ordered. I sent a second email last week asking for the current status, and no one replied. I phoned you today, and the person answering the phone said the order had been cancelled because you couldn't get the item. When I asked why my order was cancelled but I hadn't been informed he switched to saying it was going to be cancelled and then said the product wasn't available anymore and may have been discontinued. When I told him the product is still widely available he said that USA Photo Nation wasn't able to get it for some reason. But when I go to your website it is on sale today for $262. So obviously you can't make money on it at $235 and don't want to sell it to me for that price. But you made the offer (very briefly) and in business you are expected to honor your commitments. So I will be posting this paragraph relating my experience with USA Photo Nation on various online company rating forums so other potential customers will have a chance to learn how you do business. Just thought you'd like to have a chance to assess your internal operations and see if you can prevent this from becoming a common experience.

mtg569
03-22-2005, 08:07 PM
DO NOT USE THIS SELLER
I wish I would've found this website before I placed my order.
After placing my camera order on line, I got a phone call from Bill to sell me accessories that according to him, didn't come with my camera. His hard sell tactics made me uncomfortable, so I told him I wanted to cancel my whole order. He tried every sales tactic in the book to convince me I would be getting a deal. I kept my calm, but told him, yet again, that I wanted to cancel. He said I could, but there would be a %7 processing fee for "taking 30 minutes of his time on the phone" (he called me) & for "annoying him". To make things worse, he quoted me %7 of an order that included upgrades I didn't even agree to!!! I called my credit card company & they told me not to worry about at thing.
I repeat, DO NOT USE THIS SELLER!!!

CMAC
11-11-2005, 07:27 AM
I purchased a camera from this site, then received a phone call to "inform" me that the camera I had ordered did not come with a memory card, batteries, etc and that I should purchase the USA Photo nation package. This package upped my purchase price by $100.

I got the camera, decided I didn't like it and returned it to find that I owed a 15% restocking fee. The customer service department was rude as well as the sales and sales management team. I returned my camera via FedEx and they signed for it 10/6. It is now 11/10 and I am still waiting for my refund. I have called numerous times and told they are still "missing" a form that should have been sent. I have faxed this form twice and had confirmation from the fax I sent it from that it had been received. And yet....no refund.

VERY SKETCHY COMPANY WITH AWFUL SERVICE!!!! STAY AWAY!!!! I recomment Hunt's Camera or Buydig

Good Luck!