PDA

View Full Version : Lenses?

narcolepticmonkey
04-17-2005, 05:18 PM
Whats the point of buying alot of lenses or having a wide variety of lenses see i have a 28-90 3.5-5.6 and a tamron 75-300 4-5.6. so besides from buying a lens like a 28-300 or 28-200 am i set for lenses or should i still be looking to buy new lenses. Can somone enlighten me

Norm in Fujino
04-17-2005, 06:38 PM
Well you see, there's this cosmic principle: "he who dies with the most lenses wins."

propwash
04-17-2005, 07:01 PM
Don't forget Murphy's corollary to that: "He who dies with the most lenses is still dead!"

narcolepticmonkey
04-17-2005, 07:17 PM
so there is no need for alot of lenses and variety so i should be content with my two lenses and not go out buying some more besides maybe a all in one lens

wait would a 28-300 or a 28-200 be the same quality as having a 28-90 and a 75-300

jeisner
04-17-2005, 07:18 PM
Whats the point of buying alot of lenses or having a wide variety of lenses see i have a 28-90 3.5-5.6 and a tamron 75-300 4-5.6. so besides from buying a lens like a 28-300 or 28-200 am i set for lenses or should i still be looking to buy new lenses. Can somone enlighten me

Well assuming those are decent quality zooms then if you are only shooting in bright light then your lenses will be fine ;-)

I use zooms that cover those ranges and much brighter prime lenses to use in less than optimal conditions...

buying a 28-300 will give you nothing extra, well quality will probably be worse...

On a DSLR 28-90 is not wide angle, as 28mm equates to the FOV of around 42-45mm on film, but if you don't need/want wide angle thats fine...

narcolepticmonkey
04-17-2005, 07:47 PM
why is that

jeisner
04-17-2005, 07:50 PM
why is what?

jeisner
04-17-2005, 07:54 PM
Some useful links I just found...

Info on aperture (http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/fototech/apershutter/aperture.htm)

Info on crop factor (http://www.vividlight.com/articles/3814.htm)

Balrog
04-18-2005, 01:31 AM
According to what i've heard - a single zoom over a large range tends to have worse quality than two separate ones that cover the same range - so your 28-90 and 75-300 is a better combination (in terms of image quality anyway, not convenience).
As jeisner said, you might want to add a dedicated wide-angle lens for landscapes / interiors / etc - something in the 12-24 range would be perfect, probably ..

ReF
04-18-2005, 02:03 AM
yep, more range generally equals less quality. some lenses with the same range are sharper than others and over a broader range of apertures too. lower quality lenses don't really get sharp until about f8, while good ones are already sharp at their largest aperture, and only get sharper as you stop it down. lenses with large apertures are neccessary for shooting in low light (such as indoors) without a flash. since these lenses are made to be used with large apertures, they are usually sharp at those large apertures but are generally expensive. prime lenses (non-zooming, fixed focal length) are usually very sharp and have large apertures. myself? i have five. one or two more and my collection should be complete, but the last two are way too expensive!

mcenut
04-19-2005, 01:45 PM
According to what i've heard - a single zoom over a large range tends to have worse quality than two separate ones that cover the same range - so your 28-90 and 75-300 is a better combination (in terms of image quality anyway, not convenience).

Balrog speaks the truth. The best quality lenses would be all prime and covering a single range. But zooms offer the convenience of not having to carry around a bunch of lenses.

I've got a 18-200mm lens for everyday use but I have plans on purchasing a prime lens for portrait shooting.

Rex914
04-19-2005, 05:27 PM
The best tip is to have a general idea of what you'll be shooting that day and just bring 1 lens (or two if you must). While it's convenient to bring around your "swiss army knife" lens, it usually suffices to bring around a standard walk around lens (24-70ish) and leave it at that.

D70FAN
04-19-2005, 05:43 PM
Balrog speaks the truth. The best quality lenses would be all prime and covering a single range. But zooms offer the convenience of not having to carry around a bunch of lenses.

I've got a 18-200mm lens for everyday use but I have plans on purchasing a prime lens for portrait shooting.

You are making a pretty sweeping statement here, so be careful. There are many primes out there not worth the time to mount them on your camera. And there are several zooms out there that rate as high as many primes.

Savannah
04-20-2005, 05:51 AM
http://www.photo.net/equipment/tamron/28_300_Di/

For what its worth........
I've been wondering the same question. I don't have a comprehensive answer. I think it depends on what you are going to use it for.

For myself I'm thinking I will will buy a good wide angle, a 70-300 with image stabil. and an all in one like the Tamaron 28-300 just for conv. when traveling with kids.

Honestly, I don't know if this is just plain stupid, or reasonalbe.
First I need to decide if I want the Rebel xt, Pentex DS, Nikon, or Sigma

Give me your opinion?

Stacy

speaklightly
04-20-2005, 07:46 AM
Stacy-

My husband I shoot extensively with both an XT and a 20D. In the long lens category we are using a Tokina 24-200mm and a Canon 28-135mm IS lens.

Frankly after a lot of shots, I do not honestly believe that the IS feature of the Canon lens provides a lot of stability, even though I thought perhaps it would. Using both lenses in that same critical (at least for us) 50 to 135mm range the images from both lenses are almost identical. That leads me to wonder if the rather more expensive IS lens was really worth it.

The Tokina lens was about $200 less costly and has done a very good job for us.

Sarah Joyce

gabester
04-20-2005, 08:59 AM
You are making a pretty sweeping statement here, so be careful. There are many primes out there not worth the time to mount them on your camera. And there are several zooms out there that rate as high as many primes.

Agreed. Just look here (http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/) .

gary_hendricks
04-20-2005, 11:38 AM

Totally agree with that. Usually if I know what I'll be shooting, I prefer to bring only one prime lens out.