PDA

View Full Version : DX7440 Autofocus vs Single

fgreenhut
08-27-2004, 04:35 PM
I've been alternating tests between autofocus setting and single setting (where you depress the shutter button half way to focus) and frankly, to date, cannot see any difference in the results.

The default setting, according to the manual, is set to autofocus. I'm curious how others are using these settings and if they see a difference and under what conditions do they use either.

Fred

speaklightly
08-27-2004, 05:29 PM
Fred-

I just use the shutter release 1/2 depress approach and it seems to work well. Oh yes, what did you think of the Dx- 7440 Gallery?

Sarah Joyce

pgoelz
09-15-2004, 05:43 PM
I've been alternating tests between autofocus setting and single setting (where you depress the shutter button half way to focus) and frankly, to date, cannot see any difference in the results.
I presume you mean continuous autofocus versus single autofocus? Originally, I didn't see the point. But after playing around for a while , I have found that in most cases if the camera is already in focus, it takes less time after you press the shutter button to achieve focus lock.

fgreenhut
09-15-2004, 10:31 PM
I presume you mean continuous autofocus versus single autofocus? Originally, I didn't see the point. But after playing around for a while , I have found that in most cases if the camera is already in focus, it takes less time after you press the shutter button to achieve focus lock.

Thanks. This is what I'm starting to think too. If my setting is in "Continuous Autofocus" and you press halfway down before continuing on and it's faster and achieves the same effect as "Single focus" then why bother having a single focus at all. I am assuming you can lock focus when pushing half way down in Autofocus. It seems so to me.

pgoelz
09-16-2004, 04:15 AM
I'm guessing here but it may be that continuous autofocus uses more battery power. Especially if you spend a lot more time framing than taking pictures.

What I would really like is either manual focus or a mode where the focus can be locked even after you release the shutter button. I am finding many low light situations where autofocus fails and there does not seem to be any other way to attain focus. This was never a problem with my old Olympus D-360L but then it did not have a zoom so it was always zoomed out and maybe even if autofocus failed it wasn't as noticeable? Or maybe camera movement at the 1/2 second max shutter speed masked any out of focus condition?

fgreenhut
09-16-2004, 05:07 AM
I am finding many low light situations where autofocus fails and there does not seem to be any other way to attain focus. This was never a problem with my old Olympus D-360L but then it did not have a zoom so it was always zoomed out and maybe even if autofocus failed it wasn't as noticeable?

I love the 7440 in all regards except low light situations. I have an Olympus 2020Zoom and it performs much better in low light situations with or without zoom.

Fred

pgoelz
09-16-2004, 06:44 AM
I should mention that in addition to my trusty Olympus D-360L, I also have a D-460L (same thing with 3X zoom). The D-460L also has trouble with autofocus in low light conditions.

I plan on more experimentation with the DX7440 to see if there is anything I can do to make low light focusing more reliable. Sadly, I do a lot of shooting in low light so it is dissapointing for the otherwise great DX7440 to fall down in that area!