PDA

View Full Version : new camera

mechanic
08-27-2004, 12:37 PM
Got my new Nikon D70 today!!!
I thought it would come with a regular lens as well as the 70MM
It sure chews the abtterys up.
I purchased 3 CR2's, (lithium Ion) to use while the battery that came with the camera was charging
I only shot about 30 pics and they were done.
Before I read the whole manual, can anyone tell me how to take a nice night shot, preffered settings?
I am taking a course on this particualar camera at Henrys Camera, but it is not until Oct 17th.
So any quick notes would be appreciated

WHAT A CAMERA!!
regards

RICK

D70FAN
08-27-2004, 01:09 PM
Got my new Nikon D70 today!!!
I thought it would come with a regular lens as well as the 70MM
It sure chews the abtterys up.
I purchased 3 CR2's, (lithium Ion) to use while the battery that came with the camera was charging
I only shot about 30 pics and they were done.
Before I read the whole manual, can anyone tell me how to take a nice night shot, preffered settings?
I am taking a course on this particualar camera at Henrys Camera, but it is not until Oct 17th.
So any quick notes would be appreciated

WHAT A CAMERA!!
regards

RICK

What do you mean by a regular lens? Like a fixed focus 50mm? When you buy a dSLR (or even an SLR) you are buying the camera body. In most cases the store you buy it from will offer a kit lens with the body for a special price. In this case Nikon offers the 18-70 DX lens as the kit lens.

I have never used the CR2 adapter, as my battery had enough residual charge when I received the camera, and I bought a second battery which went on the charger first. I have been in China all week and have yet to use my second battery (about 500 shots so far).

Night shot:

Use a Tripod. Set the camera to ISO 400 with auto ISO off. Set the self timer function, frame the shot, and press the sutter release. don't touch the camera until it takes the shot. You can also try the night shot landscape automatic setting on the settings dial, just to see what the camera would use.

mechanic
08-27-2004, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the reply.
Can anyone tell me how to get my file size down?
My pics are over 2 megs.
but I see amazing shots on the net, with great quality and they are around 150-200 kb
Is there some software to compress them better or something?
What am I missing?
even when I reduce the picture to 1024X768 the file size is huge.
thanks

RICK

D70FAN
08-27-2004, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the reply.
My pics are over 2 megs.
but I see amazing shots on the net, with great quality and they are around 150-200 kb
What am I missing?
thanks

RICK

If you are using Photoshop then you need to compress to about 6 or 7 (medium quality) when you save the compressed file. MAKE SURE that you give the new file a different name so that you don't overwrite the original.

I think most post processing software gives you the option of re-compressing the JPEG image.

erichlund
08-28-2004, 12:18 PM
I agree with George. I have some CR2s as emergency backups and a second EN-EL3, but I'm still trying to wear out the first charge on the on the first battery. People complain about proprietary batteries, but these things last forever, especially on a camera that doesn't use the LCD as an alternate viewfinder.

Cheers,
Eric

judge9847
08-28-2004, 06:58 PM
My pics are over 2 megs.
What am I missing?
Bottom line is that when posting to a web page the resolution/quality of the image, and hence the file size, just doesn't need to be that great. It's because the screen that you view it on just isn't capable of reproducing the quality of the printed image and so quality isn't the driving issue. The human eye cannot detect what amounts to greatly reduced resolution when seeing it on a computer monitor. That's why they look like "great quality" to you and to everyone else.

Separate software to compress jpeg images is available and is often free. The process is called "optimization" and I know that Paint Shop Pro has the facility to carry it out within the program itself. I don't know about other photo suites but I'd guess they all do it in one way or another. In PSP, it's in the File, Export... menu.

"Reducing" the picture, by which I would think you mean "resizing" doesn't do what optimization does though the file size will be reduced. But you do need to be aware that if you were to only "resize" down to the 200kB mark, your image would end up about the size of a postage stamp.

An electronically produced image is, like any other computer file, made up of data. The more data, the bigger the file size: that applies to every computer file I've ever come across and image files from a digital camera are no different.

The process of optimization takes out some of the "unwanted" data from the image without changing the dimensions (in pixels) of your image. So a 1024x768 photo will always be that size if it's optimized but will also, at the same time, be reduced in terms of MB/KB size. What you're seeing on the web are photos that have been treated in that way. The greater the degree of optimization, the more data is removed. Again, be aware that optimizing does also add "artefacts" to an image and although they are mostly unseen, over-optimization really does bring them to the fore. "Artefacts" are areas of colours etc. in jpeg images that look as though they've been stuck together into blocks. You can't miss them when you see them.

To get your camera to produce images around the 2MB size, the settings are probably towards the middle to higher end of it's settings but don't forget that one of the major advantages - even the biggest selling point? - is the fact that dSLRs like the D70 produce exceptionally fine quality jpeg images, as well as other file types of course. But talking about jpegs, and I assume you were, when the quality issue is taken into account I would have thought that 2MB isn't really that big. I get images around the 1.5MB with a Panasonic FZ10 so 2MB doesn't seem that much greater.

George's point about creating a new file each time is vital. If you overwrite your original file by giving it the same name, it will be gone forever. You can take data out by optimizing but you can never, ever put that data back.

If ever you need to print your images then you really will need the original image to be able to get the best from it. Print an optimized 200kb version and the results will generally be awful.

Hope that helps a bit more.

mechanic
09-03-2004, 01:11 PM
great reply, I appreciate it very much.

I have learned quite a bit in the last week with this camera.
I have been using the batch process in photoshop 7.0 to bring the file size down on web based shots and keeping the originals for a later time.
I post a daily pic on my websites at www.ricksrepair.ca and www.sweetharley.com
I will be taking a workshop course on the D70 Oct 17th and hope to learn alot more.

On another note, does anyone here have a good edal on a 80-200mm Nikon lens?

I saw one on ebay for $79.00 U.S, seems like a good deal, but by the time I pay for shipping, customs and brokerage fees, it will be more than twice that amount at my door here in Toronto, Canada

Thanks again for the replies

RICK

D70FAN
09-03-2004, 02:50 PM
great reply, I appreciate it very much.

I have learned quite a bit in the last week with this camera.
I have been using the batch process in photoshop 7.0 to bring the file size down on web based shots and keeping the originals for a later time.
I post a daily pic on my websites at www.ricksrepair.ca and www.sweetharley.com
I will be taking a workshop course on the D70 Oct 17th and hope to learn alot more.

On another note, does anyone here have a good edal on a 80-200mm Nikon lens?

I saw one on ebay for $79.00 U.S, seems like a good deal, but by the time I pay for shipping, customs and brokerage fees, it will be more than twice that amount at my door here in Toronto, Canada

Thanks again for the replies

RICK

If that's the Nikkor 80-200 f2.8 D Macro (and that's the only Nikkor AF 80-200 I know about) then it's too good to be true (normally sells for over $900), and you should treat it that way.

There are a couple of older non-AF lenses (like an f4 and 4.5), but you might want to shy away from them. Even if they say "Auto" be very wary. That doesn't mean AF (Auto Focus)

Just be aware that buying used glass, sight unseen, is a very risky proposition. It only takes one scratch on either end to "hose" a lens. And even without scratches, older zooms can be loose enough to "creep", causing your shot to be out of focus.

Experience is a brutal teacher...