PDA

View Full Version : canon body now which lense to buy 1st

2150-bye
04-16-2005, 10:12 PM
As the field narrows I am at a point of choosing;
#1 20D
#2 DR XT
with that said and purchase of body only ,is there a good starter lense I should look at ?
17-85 , 50 1.4 , 28 2.8 , 28-100
Once I get the setup then I will either narrow field to a special interest .

I also am conciderig the pentax deal out but with the pentax 75-200 instead of the off brand it can be had for $100+ or $999.

ReF
04-16-2005, 10:31 PM
As the field narrows I am at a point of choosing;
#1 20D
#2 DR XT
with that said and purchase of body only ,is there a good starter lense I should look at ?
17-85 , 50 1.4 , 28 2.8 , 28-100
Once I get the setup then I will either narrow field to a special interest .

I also am conciderig the pentax deal out but with the pentax 75-200 instead of the off brand it can be had for $100+ or $999.

how much are you willing to spend?

it might make it easier for us to recommend something if you could tell us how you rank the following factors in terms of importance:

image quality
cost
range
convenience (switching between lenses)

Bluedog
04-17-2005, 12:09 AM
I am having very good results with my XT matched with the Sigma 18-125mm (for all around use) and even low light conditions indoors turning up the XT's ISO. Like any lens it has its limitations but way surpasses the Canon Kit lens.

Rhys
04-17-2005, 08:08 AM
I'd say the 17-85 sounds like a good range to have.

gary_hendricks
04-17-2005, 11:04 AM
The XT is amazing. The battery comes partly charged so you can immedietly start using the camera (thank you Canon!) I've already shot about 200 pictures with it and the battery hasn't died yet.

I can't give you a comparison between the XT and the 20D as I haven't owned a 20D, I can tell you a few things you may wish to know before buying.

This camera, is TINY. Extremely tiny. You may want to look into the battery grip, or test out holding the camera at a store before you order it.

For anyone who is migrating to this camera from a standard point and shoot digital camera, you cannot frame the image you are about to take using the LCD screen on the back. You must look through the viewfinder. The LCD screen is soley for menu use and preview mode after the picture has been taken, nothing more.

Something I've noticed is the camera makes a ratteling sound when moved around. I couldn't figure out what the heck it was, and then I finally reazlized it's the hinges from the pop-up flash. It sounds like they are loose when the flash is closed. I went to Best Buy and looked at their display model, and yep, it has the same problem. Well, it's not really a *problem* but frankly something ratteling around like that sounds cheaply made to me. My Canon film SLR doesn't make that sound.

I use a 420EX Speedlite flash with my SLRs so the popup flash doesn't concern me, but it was something I noticed and thought I would share.

I love that Canon gave the option to have a black finish over a silver one.
The startup time is instantaneous which is absolutely wonderful.

The burst mode is excellent with 3 fps. It's extremely quiet.

The image quality is excellent. You can get photo quality prints at 20x30, and even then I bet you could push it further.

I really can't elaborate more then what other reviews have said. If you are looking for a step into the digital SLR world, this is the ticket. Or you can even check out the newly reduced original Digital Rebel, but for the extra hundred bucks or so, I would just get the XT. You will not be sorry.

Two upgrades I would make right away: Get a Speedlite flash and the Canon 28-135mm lens.

Also, check out the stuff in the Rebel XT kit.

http://gallery.greatestjournal.com/albums/up3/873/891873/Image022.jpg

jamison55
04-17-2005, 08:25 PM
I'm a woman in my early twenties and I have small hands.

Gary...you're a girl...!???

MrForgetable
04-17-2005, 09:04 PM
Gary...you're a girl...!???

i thought the same thing :D

looks like i might need to go for the original Digital Rebel since my hand may not be small, but my fingers are long :rolleyes:

gary_hendricks
04-17-2005, 10:39 PM
Hahaha, correction. Actually that's my sis who was helping me type that. I've since corrected her comments.