PDA

View Full Version : Digital Rebel XT Review

gabester
04-16-2005, 05:32 PM
It appears that no less an authority than Jeff Keller himself has put to rest the XT vs. D70 debate with these words in his hot-off-the-presses XT review: "I'd say the Rebel XT easily beats the Nikon D70."

gary_hendricks
04-16-2005, 05:36 PM
It appears that no less an authority than Jeff Keller himself has put to rest the XT vs. D70 debate with these words in his hot-off-the-presses XT review: "I'd say the Rebel XT easily beats the Nikon D70."

I've not yet done a blow for blow comparison of the two cameras, but from hearsay - I believe most of my photographer friends here in Singapore agree that the XT is better than the Nikon.

Ant
04-17-2005, 12:51 AM
Well it's hardly a surprise is it?

I mean, the D70 is a year old and the XT is brand new. It also seems that the XT was designed to specifically compete favourably with the D70.

Having said that the D70 still has some advantages: You can change ISO, metering, AF mode and white balance in full sunlight and clearly see what you're doing. Something that many people claim not to be able to do in the XT.

The XT is also tiny. Some people will like that but some people won't.

And if you want spot metering you've still got to buy Nikon......unless you've got a spare $5000 lying around for one of Canon's professional cameras ;)

Bluedog
04-17-2005, 01:02 AM
Well it's hardly a surprise is it?

Having said that the D70 still has some advantages: You can change ISO, metering, AF mode and white balance in full sunlight and clearly see what you're doing. Something that many people claim not to be able to do in the XT.

It can easily be done in bright sunlight. I was concerned about this issue before buying my XT but after using mine now its not a problem at all.

ReF
04-17-2005, 02:00 AM
i guess the big advantage of the XT is the higher resolution and the very low noise at high ISO huh? i like the faster flash sync of the nikon though

Ant
04-17-2005, 03:50 AM
It can easily be done in bright sunlight. I was concerned about this issue before buying my XT but after using mine now its not a problem at all.

Another very good reason to try a camera before you buy rather than just reading the reviews :)

TheObiJuan
04-17-2005, 03:58 AM
i guess the big advantage of the XT is the higher resolution and the very low noise at high ISO huh? i like the faster flash sync of the nikon though

hehe, I thought the sync speed was going to be a problem on the 350D, but I got a nice EX flash that allows me to use it at any shutter speed. ;)
The size is still great for me with the lenses I currently own, and I have no issues with reading the settings in bright sunlight. It could be better, but it isn't a problem.

jeisner
04-17-2005, 04:47 AM
And if you want spot metering you've still got to buy Nikon......

Or Pentax, and you even get MLU (mirror lock up) too ;-)

davewk
04-25-2005, 08:32 PM
i am having a mental break down (well not quite) trying to select between the xt and d70??
i have read up all i can.
my concerns are the following:
i want to take moving objects mainly, and the canon has it AI servo focus mode, does the nikon have anything to compare, or are they both on par with each other in this area??
which lens are better, i have been told the nikon lenses are better?? focus better.. i am not a pro photogragher so am wondering if some simple help here would be much appreciated

D70FAN
04-25-2005, 10:20 PM
i am having a mental break down (well not quite) trying to select between the xt and d70??
i have read up all i can.
my concerns are the following:
i want to take moving objects mainly, and the canon has it AI servo focus mode, does the nikon have anything to compare, or are they both on par with each other in this area??
which lens are better, i have been told the nikon lenses are better?? focus better.. i am not a pro photogragher so am wondering if some simple help here would be much appreciated

Nikon is adding better motion focus tracking to the D70 firmware upgrade (and of course the D70s and D50). Actually Canon makes some of the best pro lenses, but both Nikon and Canon have some good and bad lenses in the consumer lens group.

Personally I use a Sigma 18-125 and like it better than the Nikon kit lens, and this has been generally seconded by some of the XT users. Sigma and Tamron both make some very good consumer glass to fit both Canon and Nikon.

The best way to help decide is to go to your local camera store and try them out. Try to ignore the possible babble from the sales person. You can't make a bad decision. Even the Canon 300D is more than enough camera for entry level dSLR users. So try it out as well.

TheObiJuan
04-25-2005, 10:29 PM
well said George. :p

Bluedog
04-26-2005, 05:03 AM
and I second that ... ;)

davewk
04-26-2005, 06:25 PM
Nikon is adding better motion focus tracking to the D70 firmware upgrade (and of course the D70s and D50). Actually Canon makes some of the best pro lenses, but both Nikon and Canon have some good and bad lenses in the consumer lens group.

Personally I use a Sigma 18-125 and like it better than the Nikon kit lens, and this has been generally seconded by some of the XT users. Sigma and Tamron both make some very good consumer glass to fit both Canon and Nikon.

The best way to help decide is to go to your local camera store and try them out. Try to ignore the possible babble from the sales person. You can't make a bad decision. Even the Canon 300D is more than enough camera for entry level dSLR users. So try it out as well.

hey
the firmware upgrade that several people have mentioned? what does that mean? as you can tell im new too all this, but so if i was to purchase the nikon d70, would i then be able to upgrade the camera some how??? sorry if that sounds stupid??
i think you are all right too, im going a bit overboard with the research maybe, but just wanna make sure....
does the d70 (not the d70s) have a moving object tracking focus mode? (as the canon has?!
yeah you are definately right about the salepersons talkin rubbish, i went in the other day and he was hopeless, he basically walked away cause he realised i knew more than him....
think the fact that the d70 is $300 new zealand cheaper than the canon over here is another factor, dont mind spending the extra money but if they are on par ??
thanks for help again
dave

davewk
04-26-2005, 06:58 PM
sorry i few more things, what is a mirror lock up that seems to be a common weakness i kept hearing about..
also in picture playback what is the magnification times of each of the 2 cameras??
finally where can this reveiw from keller on the xt rebel be found i cant open the one on this site...
thanks
again

D70FAN
04-26-2005, 07:16 PM
sorry i few more things, what is a mirror lock up that seems to be a common weakness i kept hearing about..
also in picture playback what is the magnification times of each of the 2 cameras??
finally where can this reveiw from keller on the xt rebel be found i cant open the one on this site...
thanks
again

I don't have mirror lockup on the D70 except for sensor cleaning, so as a feature it's one of those things that I don't seem to miss. I don't think it's considered a weakness either way. I believe to compensate Nikon has spot metering.

Canon guys... can you explain mirror lock-up?

You should be able to click on Reviews and Info at the top of this page, but here is the URL just in case.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraDetail.php?cam=698

TheObiJuan
04-26-2005, 07:20 PM
wow, thats a lot of questions.
mirror lockup keeps the mirror from causing blur during low shutter speeds, or prolonged exposures. It is a nice feature but I would use the 1/500 sync that the d70 has, much more. the ;

the d70 has 4x magnification in playback (i think?) and the 350D has 10X. The 10x is necessary for determining focus and etc.

regarding the firmware upgrade. It will allow certain features that you can read on nikon's website to become available. The firmware can be downloaded, put on the compact flash card via a computer, then put the card into the camera, and through the menu, update it.

I feel the AF on the canon is superb. I do a lot of high speed tracking (tournament paintball) and find it adequate (with a high quality lens of coarse USM, HSM, etc).

here is the link to the xt review from dcrp and dpreview.
to open them, just click on the links.
http://dcresource.com/reviews/canon/digital_rebel_xt-review/index.shtml
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos350d/

davewk
04-26-2005, 09:23 PM
ok so you say canon is excellent with the fast moving objects, how is it compared to the nikon though??
also the firm ware, is this going to be very easy to upgrade?? and how much will the upgrade cost??
wat are the weaknesses of the canon 350xt?? i am not hearing too many weaknesses from that apart from it being too small

TheObiJuan
04-26-2005, 10:34 PM
ok so you say canon is excellent with the fast moving objects, how is it compared to the nikon though??
also the firm ware, is this going to be very easy to upgrade?? and how much will the upgrade cost??
wat are the weaknesses of the canon 350xt?? i am not hearing too many weaknesses from that apart from it being too small

compare it yourself. It is all subjective. Go to best buy or any store that carries them and try them out. It is easy as I described up their. Read my post over and over until it makes sense. It is free and will be available from Nikon's website. I am sure that George can help you out there.
The only weakness of the 350D its size (subjective). With smaller lenses, below 6" I see no problems, but when I mount the 420EX, 70-300, the camera becomes very top heavy, and there isn't enough grip for the last 2 fingers to hold it properly. The BGE3 grip will surely help, and will give the camera a sturdier feel and some more weight. The layout is plenty ergonomic and I can change any setting on the fly. The only complaint I have is there should be an option, or custom function, that makes you hold the drive button for 2 seconds for it to work. Too many times I have composed a shot perfectly, of a player, a tiger, a bird, or person, and then I click the shutter and I hear, beep beep beep beep... the sound of the 10 second timer. The button is too close to the very used Av adjustment and Exposure compensation button.

gabester
04-27-2005, 06:57 AM
Canon guys... can you explain mirror lock-up?

See my post (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?p=34437#post34437) in an older thread explaining the physics of mirror lock-up and what it entails for photographers.

gabester
04-27-2005, 07:07 AM

I dig the smallness, personally. VERY big selling point to me (I have average-sized hands). My 100-300 USM lens feels just as stable and comfortable on the XT as it did on my original dReb. The only weakness, IMHO, is a feature they de-activated from the dReb - the ability to quickly change White Balance, ISO Speed and Autofocus Mode (with Wasia hack) settings with the push of a button and the turn of a dial. With the XT, you have to push the button, adjust with the cross keys (up/down/left/right), then confirm with the SET button. This also activates the color LCD screen, instead of just instantly displaying on the small monochrome LCD screen. I'm sure it can easily be fixed through the firmware (Wasia II? Undutchables II?); I would be VERY happy if someone wrote a hack for this.

D70FAN
04-27-2005, 09:19 AM
See my post (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?p=34437#post34437) in an older thread explaining the physics of mirror lock-up and what it entails for photographers.

Thanks for the reminder on MLU. It's just never seemed to be an issue, but I can see where it would be nice to have when shooting long exposures on a tripod. Although I've not seen this problem, maybe it's because I haven't looked for it. It would seem like a higher body mass and weight or a fairly rigid tripod mount would help dampen the effect, but again that is speculation.

Maybe I'll check this over the weekend.