PDA

View Full Version : D70 or Digital Rebel

Steele
04-16-2005, 02:15 PM
I am planning to buy my first digital SRL. I am deciding between the Digital Rebel and Nikon D70. I currently own Nookon F55 film camera with 2 lenses (AF 28-80 and AF 70-300). If I get the Nikon, I would be able to use my current lenses (as far as I know). However, for the same price I could get the Rebel with lenses made for digital.

Which one would you go for?

Rhys
04-16-2005, 02:18 PM
I am planning to buy my first digital SRL. I am deciding between the Digital Rebel and Nikon D70. I currently own Nookon F55 film camera with 2 lenses (AF 28-80 and AF 70-300). If I get the Nikon, I would be able to use my current lenses (as far as I know). However, for the same price I could get the Rebel with lenses made for digital.

I'd look into the Olympus E-300 as well.

Ant
04-16-2005, 02:57 PM
Depends which digital rebel you're talking about, the new 350D or the old 300D.

Steele
04-16-2005, 03:03 PM
Depends which digital rebel you're talking about, the new 350D or the old 300D.

Well... the older - cheaper one.

Ant
04-16-2005, 03:08 PM
Well... the older - cheaper one.

In that case, definitely the D70. No question.

Rhys
04-16-2005, 03:42 PM
Hmm... I still think the E-300 represents better value.

Steele
04-16-2005, 04:22 PM
I was looking at photo galleries for the Digital Rebel, D70 and E300 without knowing which one is which. At the end I chose the one I thought it had the best photos. It was the D70...

gabester
04-16-2005, 05:20 PM
I was looking at photo galleries for the Digital Rebel, D70 and E300 without knowing which one is which. At the end I chose the one I thought it had the best photos. It was the D70...

Image quality is heavily dependent on lens choice. A lot of those pics you saw were taken with the 18-55 kit lens, which is a basic starter lens (the worst one I have in my collection, and I have some low-end Canon lenses). The D70 comes with a very good kit lens. The Digital Rebel is at the very least the equal of the D70 in image quality sensor/processing quality (smoother image and doesn't suffer from occasional moire patterns).

If you can find a couple more hundred dollars in your budget, seriously consider the Rebel XT. As Jeff Keller said in his review (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/digital_rebel_xt-review/index.shtml) that came out today "I'd say the Rebel XT easily beats the Nikon D70". As someone who trusts Jeff implicitly (as most of us do; otherwise we wouldn't be here) and as someone who has spent at least a couple of weeks with both, I'd say that's the final word on that comparison.

gary_hendricks
04-16-2005, 05:39 PM

Here's a short review of the Nikon D70 (http://www.basic-digital-photography.com/nikon-d70-review.html) if you're interested, illustrating its benefits and shortcomings. :)

gabester
04-16-2005, 06:02 PM

To answer your original question, I'd go for the D70 simply because of 1) your current investment and 2) the D70 has more features (Rebel with hack is still relatively "crippled", esp. with metering and focusing modes) 3) the black body looks cooler and feels very well built. The Digital Rebel still has slightly better image quality, but that's about it between the two.

The true competitor (and superior) to the D70 is the Rebel XT; that's the camera to have in that class unless you have a heavy Nikon investment in Nikkor ED-IF or D lenses. Then again, if you had lenses like that you'd probably be looking at a D2X or a D2H. :D

speaklightly
04-16-2005, 07:04 PM
We own and extensive use three very popular dSLR cameras. The Canon XT, the Nikon D-70, and the Canon 20D. There is no doubt, at least to my husband and myself, that the Canon XT is cutting, "new ground."

It images challenge the Canon 20D and while it does not have all of the features of the Nikon D-70, its images also challenge those from the Nikon D-70.

So, at least to us, all are very capable dSLR cameras. They each offer their own unique features, but neither do they surpass each other. You can not go wrong with any of them. So, please make your choice, and enjoy taking some extraordinary digital photos.

Sarah Joyce

gary_hendricks
04-16-2005, 07:11 PM
I guess at the end of the day, we shouldn't lose sight of the intent of cameras - to take photos. I personally think the differences between the D70, EOS-20D and XT are a bit overhyped.

Simply choose the camera you like, then start taking photos! That's more important than harping on a little feature advantage of the D70 over the XT, blah blah.

speaklightly
04-16-2005, 07:37 PM
Right on, Gary!

There is not a huge difference between the Canon 350XT, the Canon 20D, and the Nikon D-70. Buy whichever you desire, and enjoy!

Sarah Joyce

60mm
04-28-2005, 08:57 PM

Ive used the E-300, both Rebels and the D70 side by side. The the E-300 feels better than the Rebels, the E-300's controls are horrible slow to pile through and the image quality is simply subpar, the noise is ridiculous in shadows and very colored to boot making it difficult to remove and more unsightly, crippled would be a light word to describe the E-300's choice of lenses, 3 AF points? Lastly, lets say you buy the E-300 and 2 more lenses over time. You now have 3 of these "3/4" lenses. With a significantly smaller sensor (isnt a bigger sensor a main reason for DSLRs?) then the other DSLRs, it's already poor image quality will be promptly pounded into the mud as time goes by. Then, when you go to sell your E-300 body to get a new camera with a better and larger sensor, where's your "3/4" lenses? On Ebay trying to sell with the shameful resalue value they'll have. I mean heck, the "3/4" supporters so far are , Panasonic, Olympus, Kodak, Sanyo, Sigma and Fujifilm .
Has Panasonic ever mad an SLR? Olympus doesn't have a good SLR. Kodak is king of the cheapy P&S now-days (I sell them everyday), Sanyo (I wont comment on this one). Sigma is may help. Fujifilm's SLRs are good, but arent competitive. Not a great coalition. If you must have an 8mp DSLR for this price, the XT is a winner with no contest. If you sir are an E-300 owner, Id suggest selling while its resale value is high and going to the XT. I personally own a D70 and it'll beat an E-300 anyday. So will the XT.

scalia
04-28-2005, 11:35 PM
Ive used the E-300, both Rebels and the D70 side by side. The the E-300 feels better than the Rebels, the E-300's controls are horrible slow to pile through and the image quality is simply subpar, the noise is ridiculous in shadows and very colored to boot making it difficult to remove and more unsightly, crippled would be a light word to describe the E-300's choice of lenses, 3 AF points? Lastly, lets say you buy the E-300 and 2 more lenses over time. You now have 3 of these "3/4" lenses. With a significantly smaller sensor (isnt a bigger sensor a main reason for DSLRs?) then the other DSLRs, it's already poor image quality will be promptly pounded into the mud as time goes by. Then, when you go to sell your E-300 body to get a new camera with a better and larger sensor, where's your "3/4" lenses? On Ebay trying to sell with the shameful resalue value they'll have. I mean heck, the "3/4" supporters so far are , Panasonic, Olympus, Kodak, Sanyo, Sigma and Fujifilm .
Has Panasonic ever mad an SLR? Olympus doesn't have a good SLR. Kodak is king of the cheapy P&S now-days (I sell them everyday), Sanyo (I wont comment on this one). Sigma is may help. Fujifilm's SLRs are good, but arent competitive. Not a great coalition. If you must have an 8mp DSLR for this price, the XT is a winner with no contest. If you sir are an E-300 owner, Id suggest selling while its resale value is high and going to the XT. I personally own a D70 and it'll beat an E-300 anyday. So will the XT.

www.myfourthirds.com (http://www.myfourthirds.com/)

Lauri Sippu Winter Album (http://homepage.mac.com/lsippu/PhotoAlbum43.html)

;)

60mm
04-28-2005, 11:44 PM
http://www.ifoce.com/

Just because there's a nice website for a product/group/etc, doesnt mean it's all that great.
And pictures reduced in size roughly 84% are by far any means to judge a camera.

Donald
05-02-2005, 10:28 AM
I own and love the 300D, but if I already had 2 lenses to fit the D-70 I would have purchased it instead. One more opinion to add to the pot.
Don

j26
05-03-2005, 05:51 PM
I was planning to buy a 350D, but was put off by how small the handgrip was in my hands and how clumsy it felt (to me), so I went for the D70. The 300D is bigger if I remember from looking at it before, and feels better in the hand.

Delphititan
06-29-2005, 02:04 PM

The text above discounts so many important variables, it is hard to know where to begin a reply. The image quality I have seen from practiced E-300 users is wonderful. Canon and Nikon would love to have a lens comparable to the 14-54 2.8-3.5 E series. Nikon and Canon produce lenses in other ranges that are terrific. For most purposes the Canon, Nikon and Olympus cameras will produce usable images. I am very comfortable going to 13" x 19" with an E-300 image making no excuses for the results. The shadow detail is excellent, when properly exposed.

I think it may be more useful to be a student of photgraphic art and technique than nitpicking about technical minutia.

Plan a trek or better yet...go on a whimsical photographic quest with your chosen imaging tools. Take a deep breath and enjoy the miracle of vision and the capture of a slice of time from your own unique perspective.

-Dan

D70FAN
06-29-2005, 03:34 PM
The text above discounts so many important variables, it is hard to know where to begin a reply. The image quality I have seen from practiced E-300 users is wonderful. Canon and Nikon would love to have a lens comparable to the 14-54 2.8-3.5 E series. Nikon and Canon produce lenses in other ranges that are terrific. For most purposes the Canon, Nikon and Olympus cameras will produce usable images. I am very comfortable going to 13" x 19" with an E-300 image making no excuses for the results. The shadow detail is excellent, when properly exposed.

I think it may be more useful to be a student of photgraphic art and technique than nitpicking about technical minutia.

Plan a trek or better yet...go on a whimsical photographic quest with your chosen imaging tools. Take a deep breath and enjoy the miracle of vision and the capture of a slice of time from your own unique perspective.

-Dan

Dan,

This was posted 2 months ago.

Nuff said.

Delphititan
06-29-2005, 09:15 PM
Dan,

This was posted 2 months ago.

Nuff said.

Gee George...I read the old comment (today)...(you read my reply, today)... to a question that is still germain in a general context.

Why would you be so terse with a response? I merely attempted to promote hopeful photographers' endeavors without over-reacting to hardware (brand or model specific) technical mish-mash.

If I offended, I offer my sincere apologies and will terminate my activities in the forum.

Can we still be friends?

-Dan

MissJezabelle
06-29-2005, 09:49 PM
I bought the Rebel as a body only and then got lenses. It too was my 1st big camera purchase. I must say the longer I own this camera the more thrilled I am with it. I just got back from a 5 day trip to Califrnia. We went down to the NASCAR races. I got some truely incredible shots. I am very impressed with my camera. Now granted just about any SLR is going to be better than a digital point and shoot, but the learning curve on this camera has been realativly easy to understand. I am one of those PHD (push here dummy) camera users, and I love this camera. Once I got brave enough to take it off of auto-pilot and use the manual settings I was jazzed at the pics I got on vacation. Specially the cars zipping by you at 140 MPH, and they are crystal clear frozen in time with no blur and sharp as a tack.

tsk1979
06-30-2005, 02:28 AM
Why so? That camera has horredous noise issues at ISO 400 and above. Infact shadow noise makes it unusable at ISO 800. Not that ISO 800 is commonly used, but then its a DSLR and image quality is something everybody likes.

Ray Schnoor
06-30-2005, 04:25 AM
I think that if you look at the date Rhys made that post in mid April, he has since changed his mind in the ensuing 2 1/2 months. He has recently bought a Rebel XT.
Ray.

Rhys
06-30-2005, 05:54 AM
I think that if you look at the date Rhys made that post in mid April, he has since changed his mind in the ensuing 2 1/2 months. He has recently bought a Rebel XT.
Ray.

Yup. I now have the XT but I still think that valuewise, the E-300 is quite good as long as you work within the iso limitations.

D70FAN
06-30-2005, 06:01 AM
Gee George...I read the old comment (today)...(you read my reply, today)... to a question that is still germain in a general context.

Why would you be so terse with a response? I merely attempted to promote hopeful photographers' endeavors without over-reacting to hardware (brand or model specific) technical mish-mash.

If I offended, I offer my sincere apologies and will terminate my activities in the forum.

Can we still be friends?

-Dan

Sorry. Not trying to be terse. Just pointing out that the thread was 2 months old. Your comments about hardware are relevent.