PDA

View Full Version : Using 'film lens' on digital SLR?

Steele
04-16-2005, 11:48 AM
Nebie question:

I own a Nikon F55 film SLR with 2 lenses - 28-20 & 70-300. I am planning to get the NIkon D70 digital SLR. I was wondering if I would be able to use any of my current lenses with the digital camera.

If so, are there any disadvantages?

Thanks!

TheObiJuan
04-16-2005, 11:55 AM
If they mount, then yes, you will be able to. What are the letters that follow the lens, ie, AF, EF, ED AF, or AF G?

The benifit of using 35mm lenses on a smaller frame dslr is that vignetting is almost eliminated since the center of the image is only exposing the sensor.

Steele
04-16-2005, 01:15 PM
Thanks for reply.

The lenses I have are "AF" by Nokkor.

So I should be able to use them, right? Is the photo quality significantly lower tha using lenses made for digital?

Thanks.

Rhys
04-16-2005, 01:31 PM
Thanks for reply.

The lenses I have are "AF" by Nokkor.

So I should be able to use them, right? Is the photo quality significantly lower tha using lenses made for digital?

Thanks.

The optical quality will be the same. The problem is that Nikon has made a pigs ear out of their cheaper dSLRs. The top-of-the-range D2 will take any Nikon lens and work completely with it. The lower-range cameras won't. With the AF lenses, it's a toss-up - some will and some won't work. This is why Nikon is not on my list of cameras to look into for a dslr. I've supported them by buying into their system for MF cameras. Now they demand that I buy a completely new system if I want to use digital. Fair enough say I and so I take my money elsewhere. Currently the Olympus E system looks quite appealing.

Steele
04-16-2005, 01:50 PM
The top-of-the-range D2 will take any Nikon lens and work completely with it. The lower-range cameras won't. With the AF lenses, it's a toss-up - some will and some won't work.

hmm... you confused me a bit now. So it might not work at the end?