PDA

View Full Version : advice for new 300D owner about the hack

roguecoolman
04-15-2005, 07:54 PM
hello,

I'm a new owner to the rebel 300D. I am also a beginner into SLR photography.

I've read into the firmware hack, to my knowledge there are atleast 2 correct?

wasai http://satinfo.narod.ru/en/download.html

and undutchable? (i cant see to find their official download page and documentation, if anyone has it if you could pass that along, it'll be great!)

I just want to know from the users who have used the firmware hacks, which one is better?

Have there been any problems? (i've read so far that it works fine).

to be honest, i'm green to slr photography, do you recommend me to use the firmware or get use to the camera first and then try the firmware hack? I've also read the process for the wasai hack is reversible, is the undutchable the same as well?

any info would be great, thanks.

Bluedog
04-15-2005, 08:29 PM
Use the camera and learn its capability before even thinking about making any modifications.

gary_hendricks
04-15-2005, 08:52 PM
I agree with BlueDog ... don't mess with firmware until you've totally immersed yourself in the basic operations of the camera. The 300D is a lovely camera, enjoy it as it is ... ;)

speaklightly
04-15-2005, 09:36 PM
Gary and Bluedog-

While I do truly understand that using any hacks will void the warraty on any 300D, why not?

At some point, this user is going to want to truly unleash all of the potentials of the Canon 300D. So does it really make a huge difference when it is done?

If I had a Canon 300D, I would want to get the very most out of it.

Sarah Joyce

jamison55
04-16-2005, 04:15 AM
I have the Wasia hack on my 300D, and it works great. The Undutchables doesn't seem to add any features that I'd use. The #1 feature of the hack IMHO is the FEC feature. With a flash metering system that's as unpredictable as the DReb's ETTL, I find the ability to control the output essential. I used my DReb for about 8 months before I loaded the Hack, however, and it made me appreciate the features all the more...

gabester
04-16-2005, 06:35 AM
I applied the Wasia hack after only a few days. I was sufficiently comfortable with the operation of the camera, and had handled many Canon cameras prior to that. I agree with jamison55 that the FEC is very valuable. To me, the ISO 3200 feature (shows up as "H" rather than 3200, just like on the 10D) is also quite useful, since I shoot more without flash than with it. Just as important to me was MLU (mirror lock up), since i have a 100-300mm lens. One last item that I found essential was the 1/200 flash sync in AV mode (otherwise you could wind up with 1 or most seconds while taking a flash pic in that mode).

The Undutchables hack will gain you things like the ability to set quality in Basic (Portrait, Sports, etc) modes, and a AF-servo "workaround" (which is a bit silly) enabling you to shoot actually "shoot" in that focus mode. Note that the latest version is 0.2.3 for Undutchables.

I haven't heard any reports about any damage or irreversibility associated with either hack, nor were dRebs returned to Canon for servicing with the hack "persecuted". In short, I don't see any harm in installing it right away, but you'll appreciate the value of either hack more if you're already comfortable with the camera.

roguecoolman
04-17-2005, 08:27 PM
Thanks guys for your input.

[using wasai hack]

To my understanding to activate the Custom Functions menu, you hit the "set" button on the rebel to use that menu. Then does this not overwrite what the original function of the "set" button does? Where does that original function get remapped to?

I haven't got my d-rebel yet..its awaiting in the mail :)

gary_hendricks
04-17-2005, 08:49 PM
Gary and Bluedog-

While I do truly understand that using any hacks will void the warraty on any 300D, why not?

At some point, this user is going to want to truly unleash all of the potentials of the Canon 300D. So does it really make a huge difference when it is done?

If I had a Canon 300D, I would want to get the very most out of it.

Sarah Joyce

Totally understandable. Do you guys have a link or some information as to where I can get information on this 300D hack? Thanks.

jamison55
04-17-2005, 09:08 PM
All sorts of great tips for your DReb here: http://www.bahneman.com/liem/photos/tricks/digital-rebel-tricks.php ;)

pifoto
09-16-2005, 02:14 AM
God page of 300D http://www.gpi.dk/300d/

Best Regards
Pifoto

D70FAN
09-16-2005, 07:29 AM
Use the camera and learn its capability before even thinking about making any modifications.

Bluedog!!! Glad to see that you are ok and survived the big blow. Hope that things are going ok, and just glad to see you back. :)

jamison55
09-16-2005, 12:04 PM
Bluedog!!! Glad to see that you are ok and survived the big blow. Hope that things are going ok, and just glad to see you back. :)

Sorry George, this was an old thread...check the date of Bluedog's post. He's still MIA... :(