PDA

View Full Version : Z740 jpeg compression & nightshot problem

samudra_rc
04-15-2005, 01:07 PM
Hi,
I bought z740 just 2 days back. Then I found that it has only standard jpeg compression mode (no 'fine' compression mode). So, I am saving lot of space in my SD card. But, I am more interested with photo quality. Is there a lot of difference between standard and fine compression mode ? In such case, I will return this camera and think for some other option. Any pointer would be helpful.

One more question: I tried to take a landscape night shot. I used strong base to avoid any hand shake/vibration. First of all, I could not get proper focus at all. I mean green light on LCD display never popped up. I tried couple of times. Still, I took the snap and it was really horrible. Has any of you taken night shot with z740 ?

Thanks,
Samudra

tgaf
04-16-2005, 09:27 PM
I have owned my Z740 for more than a couple of weeks now. I bought it as a more portable alternative to my Konica-Minolta A2. I was concerned about picture quality, especially resolution of fine detail. I have found that the Z740 does not disappoint in this department. Check out some of my pics at http://www.pbase.com/tgaf/kodak_z740 to see if this meets your requirements.

As regards the low light pics, I have found that there is a critical focus range in zoom cameras beyond which the cameras will not focus in Auto. You must go in and change settings manually to compensate. The Z740 is no exception to this rule. If you are using Auto, bring your zoom back and try refocussing. The Z740 has proven to be a real champ in low light pictures. In fact, I have taken pictures in total darkness just using the autofocus light to focus and adjusting the zoom to stay within the camera's automatic focus range.

Hope I was of some help. Good luck.

tgaf
04-16-2005, 09:55 PM
Sorry, I had forgotten that there is a Night Landscape setting in the proprogrammed Scenes. I went and tried the night landscape setting and got the same results as you did. I switched to Auto and was able to focus better. I still needed a minimum of light to be able to focus, however. I had found the same thing with the Flower scene setting a couple of times: Auto or PASM and Macro and Daylight white balance and reducing the exposure a notch worked better than their own preprogrammed setting.

samudra_rc
04-20-2005, 11:02 AM
Finally I took some nightshots successfully.....cannot attach it because, its size is 1.2MB.........the best one was with 80 ISO and 8 sec exposure.........took the shot from my balcony and there were few street lights on the road and couple of houses on other side.......

picture quality was quite good

and, also got confirmation from Kodak that compression ratio used in this camera is high......no fine compression setting.........so, file sizes will be smaller.........they are saying picture quality will be same....but, i don't know if it is just a false explanation.........if file size is small, it is logical that some information is compromised..........you may not be able to find it in 4''-6''.......but, it must be clear in higher size..........so, what is the point in buying 5MP camera if you lose quality on enlarge !!.........any person from Kodak in the forum ??

Cold Snail
04-20-2005, 03:51 PM
I'm glad to hear of your success in getting the nightshots worked out.
If you want to post a picture, all you need to do is resize it in any editing program. Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com/) is a free one to use, just select image and resize to 640x480 and save as a copy.

With the compression issue, I used to own a DX6490 (No options) and now own a DX7440 which has the option on the menu for fine or standard compression.
The main issue is if you want to print bigger than 12x8, the jpeg artefects become more visible the bigger the print, but it's still not that bad.
If you keep to 10x8's or less, you will have no problem at all with the quality (admit it, how big did you get prints done when using film?)

Anyway, here's a night shot from my "Old" DX6490 to show how easy it is.