Listener
08-26-2004, 08:16 PM
For the FZ20:
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMCFZ20PP.PDF

For the FZ15:
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMCFZ15.PDF

banderson317
08-26-2004, 09:21 PM
I read the FZ15 manual today. That's pretty sad when you read the manual to something you don't even own and are still not sure if you want to buy.

Well, gotta go. I promised the guy down at Home Depot I'd return the snow blower manual I borrowed.

Brian

MotoBusa
08-26-2004, 10:46 PM
Excellent! Thanks for posting the links. I'm pretty set on one of the cameras, but still a little undecided. Even if reading the manuals doesn't help, at least it'll help pass the time!

Rob

banderson317
08-27-2004, 06:30 AM
I'm pretty set on one of the cameras, but still a little undecided.
Just curious, which camera tips the scales in your opinion?

MotoBusa
08-28-2004, 12:58 AM
The scales have tipped back and forth for me. Initially I was looking forward to putting the 15 to work. Maybe it's the whole marketing stigma about how many mega pixels you've got under the hood, but I'm left wondering whether I'll miss the extra MP in the 20. It's easier to add it now than later. :o

It all goes back to how you plan to use the camera and here's a summary of our family's needs:

My wife is an avid scrapbooker. She needs the ability to whip out the camera and sing off a few shots. She needs to be able to print them at home for her own use and to mail to family and friends. Ideally she'd have a small, carry it in your purse, 3 MP, 3x zoom camera with the ability to annotate with audio and easily manage them afterwards (file away, print, email.) That said, she needs a quick camera that also let's her do some of the cropping with the zoom lens. And with 2 kids getting into activites (dance, sports, etc.), even a 3x zoom has been too little.

I take our only camera, a near-disposable 2 MP with no zoom, furious battery eater, SLOW (like takes 10 seconds to start up and about 2-3 seconds between shots) dinosaur to try to "compose" shots. I've been told I have a good eye for taking well-composed pictures and I like some of the pictures taken with our auto-everything starter camera. But way back in my school days, I used to take dad's camera and have a ball playing, experimenting, "getting serious" - even joining a friend to develop our own pictures and have fun on that end too.

So I find I still have the interest (love) of photography, but am not ready to plunk down money on two cameras or feel that spending more on one camera makes the most of our two different needs. Oh, and I'm a digital junkie. I have a hard time really experimenting when I have to (a) wait for the results to be processed, (b) swap film, someimes when it's not convenient, and (c) pay incrementally to play.

Sorry for the long post, but I think it's important to try to help describe why I'm looking at this category, and what my needs are when chossing a specific model. It's funny, I'm the guy who researches EVERYTHING, and I started out just trying to help my wife find a camera for her, but visiting this site and others has reinspired me greatly! We have demo'd the FZ 10 and the Kodak 6490 and believe we're in the right camera niche. Just time to commit. I think the 15 is for me ... definitely so if the 20 produces a cleaner picture, especially in indoor lighting conditions.

Whew,

Rob

John_Reed
08-28-2004, 07:45 AM
I think the 15 is for me ... definitely so if the 20 produces a cleaner picture, especially in indoor lighting conditions.There's something about this quote that doesn't compute - let's see if I can paraphrase: "If the 20 is better (cleaner) than the 15, then the 15 is definitely for me?"
I haven't seen any FZ15 samples yet, but the FZ20's photos look reasonably clean. Not enough for me to lust for one over my FZ10, though. I think the FZ15 should be in the same picture quality category as the FZ10, given the same size sensor, and some extra noise-reducing gimmicks, faster operation, better IS, brought about by their new Venus II imaging engine. If you've researched, you've probably read some of my earlier posts as to the indoor capabilities of the FZ10. But when you talked about your wife's purse, I wondered if you might think about the DMC-FZ3? It's smaller than the 15, even a little smaller than the old FZ1 in fact. It's missing a megapixel and manual focus compared to the 15, but other than that, it's a pretty sweet camera, from what I've seen of photos taken with it, and user comments.

Listener
08-28-2004, 01:58 PM
I found some FZ20 shots through links at the Panasonic forum at dpreview.com and was very pleasantly surprised at the quality. Compared to the FZ10 shots I've seen I would say the improvements do make a difference. I agree that the fz10 to fz20 jump is not a huge enough one that warrants all fz10 owners to change up - mostly beacuse the 10 was already a very good camera. But I'm not sure why new shoppers would choose the 10 over the 20, except purely for price considerations. I am comforted to know that Panasonic listened to user and reviewer complaints on the 10 and corrected them in the 20.

(I was also glad to see that the fz20 manual lists the USB interface at full 2.0 speed. I had thought it was the older 1.1 spec)

MotoBusa
08-29-2004, 08:57 PM
There's something about this quote that doesn't compute - let's see if I can paraphrase: "If the 20 is better (cleaner) than the 15, then the 15 is definitely for me?"

John, you're right ... that shoould have said I'd be more interested in the FZ15 it it produces cleaner shots than the FZ20.

You raise some good points about the size of the camera and purpose. My wife said she's OK with the size, heft, etc. of the FZ's, but after your email I pressed the question again and we plan to do some more physcal shopping, rather than online, to make sure it's a size that will work.

Rob