PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer to buy your camera online or at store?

Arsh
04-14-2005, 09:36 PM
Do you prefer to buy your camera online or at store?
Store
Doesn’t mater

gary_hendricks
04-15-2005, 05:23 AM
Hey, is this supposed to be a poll? I can't click on the options :(

spierson
04-15-2005, 03:13 PM
What I like to do is go to the local stores to get a feel of how much I like a product. Then I research websites online, and I buy from a highly rated website with the lowest price. But you MUST do the research before buying online.

manilaboy
04-15-2005, 03:48 PM
I would buy it from a local store. U would get a better service at ur local store.
I would not go to my local store and make them a reference library or pick their brain and buy it on line. Always support ur local store.

Rhys
04-16-2005, 10:31 AM
I'd check prices online but would use the online prices as a way of bartering down the price in the local shop.

Rex914
04-16-2005, 10:33 AM
I'd check prices online but would use the online prices as a way of bartering down the price in the local shop.

That's definitely something you can try doing at a local shop, but not at Best Buy or Circuit City. It has been said though that people have haggled off up to 10% at those places although I wouldn't dare trying for a relatively small purchase like a camera. I say small, because you tend to only haggle on big tag items like TV's.

Rhys
04-16-2005, 10:40 AM
That's definitely something you can try doing at a local shop, but not at Best Buy or Circuit City. It has been said though that people have haggled off up to 10% at those places although I wouldn't dare trying for a relatively small purchase like a camera. I say small, because you tend to only haggle on big tag items like TV's.

Don't they advertise price matching?

speedracer
04-16-2005, 12:32 PM
Not really. If you check the usuall fine print they DON'T match ANY internet ads or prices. I too have spoken with Circuit City and Best Buy about doing such if I brought in a legitamate add with clear web address. They still said we don't care we don't match any internet prices. Told them that was a shame as I wanted to support my local merchants but the camera in their lockup bin is the same one I can buy from a reputable internet vendor so the price really does have something to do with the whole process. They could have cared less (not only the salesperson but the department mgr.) Please remember your mileage and perphaps a change in attitude at your local store may be different than mine...

propwash
04-16-2005, 01:07 PM
I'm not aware that Best Buy claims that they will match prices. They might, but I haven't seen it. Sears and Circuit City will price match for "local stores that have the item in stock," so you're out of luck if someone advertises a good price and then sell out of the item. I did get my local CC to price match their own web price on the Panasonic FZ3, so I was able to save $40 and get a $50 gift card that CC was advertising on line at the time.

That being said, I would much rather by from a local B&M store than take a chance on the internet. You can ususally get a better price on line, but it can be a hassle, and there is always the chance that you might run into one of the many unscrupulous vendors out there. That's why I like to patronize the local shops.

Rhys
04-16-2005, 01:26 PM
That's odd. Jessops in Britain will price-match any mainland internet shop. They won't volunteer the information but they will do it.

Speaking of less-than-reputable dealers, I don't have a great opinion of Ritz camera. I went there wanting a tripod and tripod head. I chose the one I wanted and they started packing up a battered old display model. I told them no way would I accept a display model without a reduction in price to which they said they weren't reducing their price. I put my wad of cash back in my pocket and walked out of the door. Then I found another tripod that was better and a lot cheaper in Target.

gary_hendricks
04-17-2005, 08:04 AM
It is tough to choose between online or at local store. It is usually cheaper to buy it online - however, I often end up buying things (including camera) at local stores.

After I check the models and prices of camera I like, I usually goto a local store to view and touch the actual camera before I decide to buy. And if the sales person is being helpful and answer my questions well enough, I will buy at the store instead of going back and order online. This is, of course, only if the price did not differ too much!

Norm in Fujino
04-17-2005, 09:32 AM
Here in Japan, the cheapest prices are online--but only marginally, most of the time. A number of online clearing-house sites are now available (like www.kakaku.com) that provide daily updates on the cheapest prices from online stores. The problem is, you have to pay $15-20 in COD and shipping charges, so the prices have to be considerably cheaper to make it worthwhile; worse, most of the internet places do not accept returns except in DOA cases, and even early malfunctions have to be taken to the manufacturer directly. When I recently bought my E-300, I found the online prices somewhat cheaper for the body, but actually more expensive for a couple of the lenses, and I was also able to capitalize on the last weekend of a special deal at Yodobashi in Shinjuku that took off an additional 4 percent from the total bill. Yodobashi is a high-volume reseller, but they do pay more attention to their customers than the internet resellers, so I prefer going there when possible.
--On the other hand, I saved about $700 a couple of years ago when buying an automobile navigation system by purchasing online. Got a great deal in that case.

JTL
04-17-2005, 09:55 AM
Wow...good question. I bought a lot of stuff online (including high-end speakers and stereo equipment...even a guitar). But, I have never bought a camera online and never thought about it till now. I guess when I try a camera and like it...the next natural words are "I'll take it..." (came with seconds of buying a Canon XT on Thursday). Plus, I have had nothing but good experiences dealing in-person with J&R in NYC...

gary_hendricks
04-17-2005, 10:02 AM
Hi Norm

Yes, I've heard of Yodobashi (when I went to Shinjuku in Tokyo on vacation a year back). They're a pretty good brick and mortar retailer.

jbcm
04-17-2005, 12:45 PM
I do as much research as possible on the web. I have always purchased from a local retailor like Best Buy. When I purchased my Canon G6 I looked at their web sight and it was cheaper. So I printed the sale price and they honored the price that was online. Then in a couple of weeks there was a price drop on the G6 and they reimbursed the difference. They will do this up to 30 days from date of purchase. Also I find that getting the extended warranty from them is money well spent and would recommend it on any purchase of a digital camera. I don't think there is anything wrong with purchasing it online as long as it is a very reputable store. You never know what you are going to get from some of the online stores. So just for a piece of mind I purchase from a local store. Not to mention that dealing with someone local with a problem is a whole lot easier than someone who is a thousand miles away.

Jason

moonfrog
04-19-2005, 07:18 PM
I bought my Canon Rebel at the local photo shop because it had just come out and was not really discounted much online.

I will most likely be buying a Canon S70 next week and will probably buy it online, not sure yet. Our small city is way out in the boonies, so our prices are high, usual MSRP. It will depend on the price I can get, although if it is within $100 I will buy it locally.

Hikescdnrckys
04-26-2005, 09:14 AM
I bought my FZ20 online but only after doing the touchy feely thing at a local camera store. Also up here in Canada, the same camera you would buy online for $499 US costs $899 Cdn at local camera stores (despite the good rate on the Canadian dollar) which is a major ripoff. If only we had more online retailers in the Great White North!

dehr
08-14-2005, 02:24 PM
A big problem I've seen when shopping for a camera online is that if you're from Canada, a lot of places won't accept your order or will charge an arm and a leg for shipping. It's like with a lot of merchandise websites, since most of them are from the US and ignore the Canadian market.

Aside from the big boys (Futureshop, Sears, etc.), I found one pretty good website called www.sweetdeal.ca that caters to the Canadian market. Decent deals with Canon Powershots.

The site takes a while to load though, but it's pretty good.

Anyone else know where's good for Canadians to find good deals?

Kenyada
08-15-2005, 02:48 AM
I prefer to shop online, because I can get the facts without the hype. I don't care for dealing with sales people who try to size you up, with regard to your appearance, etc. On occassion when I do go to a local camera store, I check out everything on the display floor. Some items - bags, lenses, tripods - I like to get a feel for their weight, size, as I compare. I always make a small purchase. It helps their bottom line a little, and it helps me by justifying the visit. Shopping for my D70, there was never a consideration for the local shop. There was a $200 difference, not including the $91 tax. I mean, it's nice to be able to support local business... but $300 is still $300.

fnoel
08-15-2005, 09:50 AM
I prefer to shop online, because I can get the facts without the hype. I don't care for dealing with sales people who try to size you up, with regard to your appearance, etc. On occassion when I do go to a local camera store, I check out everything on the display floor. Some items - bags, lenses, tripods - I like to get a feel for their weight, size, as I compare. I always make a small purchase. It helps their bottom line a little, and it helps me by justifying the visit. Shopping for my D70, there was never a consideration for the local shop. There was a $200 difference, not including the $91 tax. I mean, it's nice to be able to support local business... but $300 is still $300.
I totally agree with the point you made about sizing up a customer with regards to their appearance and stuff.I get very frustrated and mad quickly when I want assistance at a store and somebody else comes up and gets waited on first. A little story to follow. I do prefer to shop online because it is cheaper and size and weight or feel is something I can adjust to. Well any way to the little story. I was at the local B&M storeto buy a camera 5 years ago. Nobody around and the salesman saw me but proceeded to do something on the register. I patiently waited when a young lady walked up and was just looking at something in the display case and this salesman jumped to help her. I heard her say "that gentleman was here first" which was very nice of her. Anyway the guy said something to her that I couldn't make out. She just told him she was looking and walked away. So finally I get waited on. Now I am mad but figure if I just leave He could care less. So I proceed to buy a camera and accesories totaling close to $1000 and then proceed to take the money out of my wallet. Don't get me wrong. I am not rich by any means. I just got taxes back. Anyway He sees the money and then I tell him that I change my mind only for the fact that now instead of me not being worth waiting on I figure he is not worthy of waiting on me. I also called his manager over and had a talk with him. Haven't seen him there a month later when I went back either.

Kenyada
08-15-2005, 12:34 PM
<respectfully snipped>... So finally I get waited on. Now I am mad but figure if I just leave He could care less. So I proceed to buy a camera and accesories totaling close to $1000 and then proceed to take the money out of my wallet. Don't get me wrong. I am not rich by any means. I just got taxes back. Anyway He sees the money and then I tell him that I change my mind only for the fact that now instead of me not being worth waiting on I figure he is not worthy of waiting on me. I also called his manager over and had a talk with him. Haven't seen him there a month later when I went back either.

Great Story! And thanks for striking a blow for customer respect/dignity. Of course, this is just one more advantage to shopping online.

fnoel
08-15-2005, 08:48 PM
Great Story! And thanks for striking a blow for customer respect/dignity. Of course, this is just one more advantage to shopping online.
Thanks and you are welcome. I don't normally act that way but this guy really ticked me off.

EAP
08-15-2005, 11:06 PM
My experiences at Best Buy and Circuit City are that the salespeople there know nothing about what they are selling. I know more about the products than they do, after doing online research. And if you take too long looking at a product they get bored and stop helping you, figuring that you're not going to buy, and they go help someone else who looks like a better prospect. They are not interested in helping you learn about the product, all they want is the sale. I've had more than one experience where they couldn't produce a memory card so that I could really try out the camera. Also, the products they have in stock lag way behind what you can get on the internet; most of the time they don't even have the camera models I'm interested in. Best Buy doesn't even carry Panasonics, for example. Circuit City and Fry's carry the Panasonic Lumix Fz20 at $130 more than reputable online retailers. I don't consider these big chain stores a local retailer; if they can't give me good service or a good deal I'm not going to give them my money. I'm sure that also has to do with the fact that I live in a large city and not a small town. But I've bought three cameras online so far (two for work) and have never had any hard selling, callbacks to try to upsell me, out of stock problems, and I've had very speedy shipping. Now, I've also never had any service or warranty problems, so that remains to be tested. But with all that I've said, why pay a hundred dollars more than necessary for something you can buy cheaper online with basically the same service experience?

UpUpCanadian
08-22-2005, 06:00 PM
My experiences at Best Buy and Circuit City are that the salespeople there know nothing about what they are selling. I know more about the products than they do, after doing online research. And if you take too long looking at a product they get bored and stop helping you, figuring that you're not going to buy, and they go help someone else who looks like a better prospect. They are not interested in helping you learn about the product, all they want is the sale. I've had more than one experience where they couldn't produce a memory card so that I could really try out the camera. Also, the products they have in stock lag way behind what you can get on the internet; most of the time they don't even have the camera models I'm interested in. Best Buy doesn't even carry Panasonics, for example. Circuit City and Fry's carry the Panasonic Lumix Fz20 at $130 more than reputable online retailers. I don't consider these big chain stores a local retailer; if they can't give me good service or a good deal I'm not going to give them my money. I'm sure that also has to do with the fact that I live in a large city and not a small town. But I've bought three cameras online so far (two for work) and have never had any hard selling, callbacks to try to upsell me, out of stock problems, and I've had very speedy shipping. Now, I've also never had any service or warranty problems, so that remains to be tested. But with all that I've said, why pay a hundred dollars more than necessary for something you can buy cheaper online with basically the same service experience?

i know EXACTLY what you mean about Best Buy not knowing about their products. i had an experience at Best Buy today that was anything but satisfactory. the man that "helped" me knew nothing about the products and he had to ask another guy for information that i requested (the other guy didnt know either). to make a long story short, it was absurd.

theinwin
08-25-2005, 06:27 AM
I buy quite a lot of stuff online. Quite often its much cheaper than on the high street shops. Its quite safe to shop on the internet since details are processed securely.link (http://www.fuji4u.com)

attagirl
08-26-2005, 01:36 PM
Do you prefer to buy your camera online or at store?
Store
Doesn’t mater

I too visit the local store to make sure that it has the quality I am looking for. This gives me the actual hands on on the camera, then I try to find the best price online. Simply because I can get camera's online for a lot less money, infact one place that I buy online is called deal www.dealsopolis.com, they have several different ones you can choose from all at a price that is both reasonable and their reliability is good. I have not had any problems with them.

Kenyada
08-30-2005, 04:34 AM
i know EXACTLY what you mean about Best Buy not knowing about their products. i had an experience at Best Buy today that was anything but satisfactory. the man that "helped" me knew nothing about the products and he had to ask another guy for information that i requested (the other guy didnt know either). to make a long story short, it was absurd.

The problem with the salespeople at places like Best Buy and Circuit City stems from the fact that today, he'll be selling cameras, yesterday he was selling TV sets... and tomorrow its off to heavy appliances. I'll never forget the time I was talking with a Best Buy guy about a certain photo printer. I had questions; he had no answers. He brought back his manager. We discussed the equipment. Some where towards the end of the conversation, he asked if I'd be interested in a job there. I declined, telling him that I know something about computers, but nothing about washing machines :D My advice is not to waste time talking with floor reps. Head straight for the manager. Of course, he may not have a clue either, but at least you'll know he's your best hope.

EAP
09-08-2005, 05:59 PM
I too visit the local store to make sure that it has the quality I am looking for. This gives me the actual hands on on the camera, then I try to find the best price online. Simply because I can get camera's online for a lot less money, infact one place that I buy online is called deal www.dealsopolis.com, they have several different ones you can choose from all at a price that is both reasonable and their reliability is good. I have not had any problems with them.

Clicked on your link to dealsopolis and was asked for a username and password, with no option to "register." Since I couldn't provide a valid username and password, I was declined access to the site.

tygersclaw
09-08-2005, 06:49 PM
When I was looking at buying either a Fuji S7000 or a Panasonic DMC-FZ20, I read everything I could on a few different sites.

When I was ready to buy, I went to the local camera store that is, in this area, THE camera store. McBain Camera. I was able to hold both cameras, basically do a side by side comparison as far as images etc. The salesperson was knowledgeable and helpful too.

My next camera purchase will also be at McBain Camera (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) based on this purchase as well as after sale service.

I decided on, and bought a Panasonic DMC-FZ20. I also had a chance to check out the FZ30, but as there was not much in the way of information available other than the manufactuers information, I decided to hold off.

Wonderer
09-14-2005, 01:28 PM
Clicked on your link to dealsopolis and was asked for a username and password, with no option to "register." Since I couldn't provide a valid username and password, I was declined access to the site.

I managed to get in to dealsopolis at http://www.dealsopolis.com. Maybe it was just done for a while. They seem to have some nice stuff!!! Take care

Donato777
09-15-2005, 03:03 PM
I buy online from a reputable vendor after doing thorough research. I have purchased from www.buydig.com, beachcamera.com and 6ave.com - all flawless transactions and at the best prices - much lower than a store.

EAP
09-15-2005, 04:31 PM
I managed to get in to dealsopolis at http://www.dealsopolis.com. Maybe it was just done for a while. They seem to have some nice stuff!!! Take care

Seems to let me into the UK site with no problem... except I don't live in the UK. It's the US site I can't get into. :confused:

Rhys
09-15-2005, 05:06 PM
Seems to let me into the UK site with no problem... except I don't live in the UK. It's the US site I can't get into. :confused:

Seems to need too much information on the registration screen for it to be on the up and up.

Alex Beldock
09-20-2005, 07:46 PM
i am looking for the best place to buy a Fuji f810 and would like to try an online store that is not crooked or very expensive thanks ,
Alex newreply.php?do=newreply&p=65860#.
My experiences at Best Buy and Circuit City are that the salespeople there know nothing about what they are selling. I know more about the products than they do, after doing online research. And if you take too long looking at a product they get bored and stop helping you, figuring that you're not going to buy, and they go help someone else who looks like a better prospect. They are not interested in helping you learn about the product, all they want is the sale. I've had more than one experience where they couldn't produce a memory card so that I could really try out the camera. Also, the products they have in stock lag way behind what you can get on the internet; most of the time they don't even have the camera models I'm interested in. Best Buy doesn't even carry Panasonics, for example. Circuit City and Fry's carry the Panasonic Lumix Fz20 at $130 more than reputable online retailers. I don't consider these big chain stores a local retailer; if they can't give me good service or a good deal I'm not going to give them my money. I'm sure that also has to do with the fact that I live in a large city and not a small town. But I've bought three cameras online so far (two for work) and have never had any hard selling, callbacks to try to upsell me, out of stock problems, and I've had very speedy shipping. Now, I've also never had any service or warranty problems, so that remains to be tested. But with all that I've said, why pay a hundred dollars more than necessary for something you can buy cheaper online with basically the same service experience? :) :)