PDA

View Full Version : Which camera? Details as follows...

brokenjack
08-26-2004, 10:57 AM
I'm looking for a digital cam. Image quality is pretty important. I'd like to look for something in a 4,5, or 6MP camera. I also would like a pretty fast lens, say 2.0, but I'll go to a 3.5 if I have to. Also I would like some decent manual controls for white balance and exposure control. I'd like some low shutter speeds 10 sec ((for night photography) anything with bulb?) and up to 1/2000. Don't want a high dollar SLR, but something between that and a compact like the elph. I'd like to spend between $300-$400. It will primarily be used for point and shoot but I'd like to use it creatively as well. I looked at a Kodak DX 7630 and Canon A85. Any input who uses the best lenses? Thanks A bunch for the help!

speaklightly
08-26-2004, 11:28 AM
You did not say the amount of zoom you desire. However, I noticed that the two digital cameras you mentioned were 3X optical zoom digital cameras.

Did you know that the 4mp, 4X optical zoom Kodak DX-7440 has a higher review rating for digital photo quality than the Kodak 7630? It does. The Canon A-85/A-95 digital camera are some of the largest selling of all digital cameras and have great reviews.

In the $US 300 to $US 400 price range I don't believe that you will find an F2.0 lens.

A few suggested digital cameras:

4mp
Kodak DX-7440
Nikon 4200
Canon A-85

5mp
Sony V-1
Sony W-1
Canon A-95
HP-R70
Fuji E-510
Nikon 5700

6+mp
Fuji E-550

That should give you a start. If you can define your needs a bit further, we can discuss other options.

Sarah Joyce

brokenjack
08-26-2004, 11:53 AM
Zoom specs are a little confusing to me, 3x what? I'd be alright with what the average zoom specs are for most cameras, but would like to use a telephoto adapter with the camera in the future. I'll check out the DX 7440. I have heard some decent things. How do the sony cams rate. I've used a 2mp cybershot and thought it was horrible, not judging by the 2mp rating, but the noise and lens sharpness.

I was also looking at the DX6440. It seems like it has a faster lens 2.2 and a 4X optical zoom. It's $250 at Sams club. You know anything about these cams. I guess the 7440 replaces it.

speaklightly
08-26-2004, 09:13 PM
3X zoom simply means that the lens on the digital camera is capable of providing a telescopic effect without the need of an added accessory adaptor or convertor lens. 3X zoom simply means that the camera's taking lens is capable of bringing the photographic image three times closer, than that seen by the naked eye.

Yes, the Kodak DX-7440 is an improvement on the DX-6440 and it produces great digital photos but it is not capable of the wide angle photos that the DX-6440 was capable of producing.

I also us a Sony W-1 and am very please with the digital photos produced my that digital camera as well.

Sarah Joyce

D70FAN
08-27-2004, 01:27 PM
Zoom specs are a little confusing to me, 3x what? I'd be alright with what the average zoom specs are for most cameras, but would like to use a telephoto adapter with the camera in the future. I'll check out the DX 7440. I have heard some decent things. How do the sony cams rate. I've used a 2mp cybershot and thought it was horrible, not judging by the 2mp rating, but the noise and lens sharpness.

I was also looking at the DX6440. It seems like it has a faster lens 2.2 and a 4X optical zoom. It's $250 at Sams club. You know anything about these cams. I guess the 7440 replaces it.

In your example it would be 3X the base wide-angle rating. i.e. a 35mm base Wide-Angle at 3x would be 105mm at full zoom. Most all-in-one cameras start at 33-38mm. There are a few that offer a 28mm Wide-Angle and generally 4X optical zoom so that they can still offer a reasonable telephoto rating (112mm in this case).

speaklightly
08-27-2004, 05:21 PM
Hi George-

Of course you are precisely correct. I was attempting to make the whole explanation a bit more simple and very basic.

Sarah Joyce