PDA

View Full Version : Oly E1

DonB
04-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Now everyone is different, thank God. But here is my bias-
In the market for a dslr, never having touched one, I walked out of the shop after looking in the display cases. Too darned huge!
Especially the OlyE1, which was being chucked out for half the price of a Canon350, and lots cheaper than the E300. Yesterday, I read an in-depth report on the E1, shot down to the shop and they had one left. Once in my hands, the salesman couldn't get it back from me. Such quality, balance and as fast and quiet as I need, in practical terms. After a cursory look at other options, I wrestled it away. I'm sure all of you are as happy with your own choice as I am,
and those who advise to get in there and handle the cameras is spot on. Magazines and websites only tell half the tale.

a test- http://oink.kiwiwebhost.biz/E1%20photo.html
Cheers,
DonB

jeisner
04-12-2005, 10:29 PM
Good work, as I have said numerous times, how the camera feels in use for you is one of the most important factors. Enjoy your E-1... ;-)

D70FAN
04-12-2005, 10:50 PM
Now everyone is different, thank God. But here is my bias-
In the market for a dslr, never having touched one, I walked out of the shop after looking in the display cases. Too darned huge!
Especially the OlyE1, which was being chucked out for half the price of a Canon350, and lots cheaper than the E300. Yesterday, I read an in-depth report on the E1, shot down to the shop and they had one left. Once in my hands, the salesman couldn't get it back from me. Such quality, balance and as fast and quiet as I need, in practical terms. After a cursory look at other options, I wrestled it away. I'm sure all of you are as happy with your own choice as I am,
and those who advise to get in there and handle the cameras is spot on. Magazines and websites only tell half the tale.

a test- http://oink.kiwiwebhost.biz/E1%20photo.html
Cheers,
DonB

If you bought an E1 for less than $500 then you definately got the best deal I've ever heard of. Ok, I once bought a $500 QV200 in Japan for $130 on a blowout, and that was a deal too, but this is a pro-grade E-1.

Even at the list price of $2199 it was a good camera, even though you can get an S3 for $200 more.

The question is do they have any more?

Norm in Fujino
04-13-2005, 12:45 AM
Now everyone is different, thank God. . . Yesterday, I read an in-depth report on the E1, shot down to the shop and they had one left. Once in my hands, the salesman couldn't get it back from me.

Welcome to the four/thirds club. It's nice that choices abound. It's yours to make the most of.

DonB
04-13-2005, 03:05 AM
Where I am in NZ, all cameras are more expensive than in the USA.
Converted to $US-

Canon 350XT $1375
E1 (special) $709

I guess it's all still relative,
Donb

speaklightly
04-13-2005, 05:33 AM
Don-

As has already been said within this thread, the important issue is to enjoy your camera and to learn all of its potentials. The Olympus E-1 is highly regarded and there are some stunning photographic examples of what the camera can do.

Congratulations.

Sarah Joyce

scalia
04-14-2005, 06:24 PM
Sean Reid, a contributor at luminous landscape just wrote a 2nd opinion review on the E-1.

the link is here (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/e1-2nd.shtml)

cheers

speaklightly
04-15-2005, 12:10 PM
scalia-

Thank you very much for the link to the E-1 article. It was very informative.

Sarah Joyce