PDA

View Full Version : Extra Batteries

The watcher
04-12-2005, 07:41 PM
What kind of extra batteries does everybody buy for his camera?
For the Rebel XT for example you can buy a Canon NB-2L or NB-2LH starting +/- $50 and up. The official Canon NB-2LH is 7.4V 720mAh, but you can also buy 3th party batteries for $10!
And also 3th party batteries with 1100mAh instead of 720mAh.

What do people think about these batteries?
And what about buying a battery with more mAh?

I have already a Canon digital camera with a extra battery which is also official Canon, but one of the batteries is much shorter in life than the other (bought at the same time)! So that's why I want to look at cheap 3th party batteries as well.

Bluedog
04-12-2005, 08:32 PM
Do not trust cheap third party batteries, especially with expensive electronic equipment.

speaklightly
04-12-2005, 09:18 PM
Bluedog-

Please in all fairess, Let's not speak out of turn or too rapidly, some third party batteries are better than the OEM batteries.

Sarah Joyce

TheObiJuan
04-12-2005, 10:08 PM
I purchased a second battery for my 350D used, and love it! It is the nb-2lh, and I would not want anything else in my camera. Any glitch in the power output and there goes my camera and my shots for the day. I trust canon's batteries, they are reliable. If I had lots of money to spare, I suppose I could experiment with other batteries in my cameras and take that chance, but I dont.

Bluedog
04-12-2005, 10:09 PM
Sarah he stated in his question: "but you can also buy 3rd party batteries for $10!" ... sorry but I'm not going to trust them in my equipment.

My thinking is you probably aren't gonna find a decent aftermarket battery at a savings of 75% over the OEM. Granted some of the Name brand companies are trust worthy but not the No Name type.

The watcher
04-12-2005, 11:08 PM
Of course I want the best in my camera, that's why I ask.
OEM is quite often with batteries just a name on the same battery!

In this topic some people love the 3th party batteries:

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4130

Bluedog
04-13-2005, 04:53 AM
The main thing to remember is buy name brand, just as stated in the thread link but don't expect to pay $10 for them. I'd go as far as to say not any of the Camera manufactures make their on batteries.

speaklightly
04-13-2005, 04:54 AM
Bluedog-

I see your point exactly. That was my goof as that $10 figure slipped right past me. As Juan has said so well, you have an investment in your digital camera that you have to protect.

Mea culpa!

Sarah Joyce

gabester
04-13-2005, 08:03 AM
Do not trust cheap third party batteries, especially with expensive electronic equipment.

I dunno, I bought two non-Panasonic batteries for my DMC-FZ10 last year for something like $10 each and had no problems with them. The vendor, Eagle Imports, sold them on eBay with a fixed Buy It Now price. Initially I was apprehensive about doing so but now I would do it again. That's just my feeling.

I guess the big difference is that Canon would absorb the repair on your camera if it was caused by a Canon battery, whereas neither Canon nor the third-party battery manufacturer would on a non-Canon battery. That's the main risk.

Rhys
04-13-2005, 08:25 AM
I dunno, I bought two non-Panasonic batteries for my DMC-FZ10 last year for something like $10 each and had no problems with them. The vendor, Eagle Imports, sold them on eBay with a fixed Buy It Now price. Initially I was apprehensive about doing so but now I would do it again. That's just my feeling.

I guess the big difference is that Canon would absorb the repair on your camera if it was caused by a Canon battery, whereas neither Canon nor the third-party battery manufacturer would on a non-Canon battery. That's the main risk.

It's very hard to make a bad battery. The main problems with a bad battery will be:
Short life
leakage
corroding contacts.

I don't put much stock in fairy-tales of batteries exploding and catching fire.

Bluedog
04-13-2005, 09:26 AM
Well its not always about exploding batteries but more of a quality control issue in the cheaper batteries. Yea they'll work but how reliable and who's gonna stand behind it: Cheap batteries don't blow up - but it's still a problem (http://www.techworld.com/mobility/features/index.cfm?fuseaction=displayfeatures&featureid=1117&page=1&pagepos=2)

wingsley
04-14-2005, 08:32 PM
Are there any good sources to seek out camera and/or camcorder batteries?

Sometimes you can look for stuff like that via PriceGrabber, other times it seems the search engine doesn't understand. Is there a proper way to go about such a search?

Rhys
04-15-2005, 05:39 AM
Are there any good sources to seek out camera and/or camcorder batteries?

Sometimes you can look for stuff like that via PriceGrabber, other times it seems the search engine doesn't understand. Is there a proper way to go about such a search?

My gripe with pricegrabber is it comes up with secondhand trash all the time.

GlennD
04-15-2005, 07:12 AM
I've been using 3rd party batteries from Battery Barn for over two years with no problems and they last longer than OEM's.

Glenn