PDA

View Full Version : digital zoom vs software zoom?

esemones
08-25-2004, 04:02 PM
I concur with the poor resolution with the larger DIGITAL zooms, but the image using software editing/zooming of the picture seems to be fine. Cropping and zooming keeps good resolution. Why the difference? Is it that the software zoom just isn't as image enlarging altho it seems so.

John_Reed
08-25-2004, 10:29 PM
I concur with the poor resolution with the larger DIGITAL zooms, but the image using software editing/zooming of the picture seems to be fine. Cropping and zooming keeps good resolution. Why the difference? Is it that the software zoom just isn't as image enlarging altho it seems so.I don't know if I understand your question. Here's a Robin shot I took with 2.1X Digital zoom (times the 12X optical zoom) on my Panasonic FZ10.
http://john-reed.smugmug.com/photos/5798478-L.jpg
I'm not sure I could've done as well, sharpness-wise, with a "software zoom." Are you saying I would have done better than the in-camera Digital Zoom?

esemones
08-26-2004, 03:24 PM
Correct. Your 12x optical zoom sounds enhanced with 2.5 x dig.zoom looks great! How would that compare with a 3x optical zoom plus software zooming in and cropping? Size of mega pixels a factor?
Thanks, Earl Semones, Palm Springs, CA

P.S. That's a mighty fine red breasted Robin --- from the Midwest?

John_Reed
08-26-2004, 04:01 PM
Correct. Your 12x optical zoom sounds enhanced with 2.5 x dig.zoom looks great! How would that compare with a 3x optical zoom plus software zooming in and cropping? Size of mega pixels a factor?
Thanks, Earl Semones, Palm Springs, CA

P.S. That's a mighty fine red breasted Robin --- from the Midwest?Zoom is the biggest factor. That 2.4X digital zoom, X the 12X optical zoom already in the camera's lens, amounts to about 29X overall. But to compare optical zoom only, let's say you had an image taken at 12X optical zoom, painting a 2000 pixel-wide "swath" on the sensor. That same image, on the same sensor, with a 3X optical zoom, would only take up 500 pixels in width. Squaring the X & Y of the 2000 pixel original image, you'd have 1/16 of the larger-zoom's array to work with in pixel count with your 3X optical zoom. The Robin was shot on a fence in Corning, NY.

esemones
08-26-2004, 04:45 PM
John, I appreciate your response. You and the next to last FAQ on "interpolation ... quality" (http://www.dcresource.com/faq/faq.html) have clarified my understanding on the wonders of zooming in on the pixels and the advantage of optical zooming. I'll be sad to say adios to my Canon EOS, its 300 mm zoom lens and Ektachrome film....
Thanks. Earl Semones, Palm Springs, CA

Jake Conner
08-26-2004, 09:11 PM
So get a digital rebel and your 300mm lens will become a 480!

Jake

esemones
08-27-2004, 12:45 PM
Jake, does that mean that my two Canon lenses (Canon zoom lens EF 35-80mm and Canon ultrasonic zoom lens EF 75-300 mm )would work with the Rebel?
How does the EF - S lens play a role?

Thanks for preserving at least a part of my EOS 500 equipment!

Earl Semones, Palm Springs, CA

D70FAN
08-27-2004, 12:56 PM
Jake, does that mean that my two Canon lenses (Canon zoom lens EF 35-80mm and Canon ultrasonic zoom lens EF 75-300 mm )would work with the Rebel?
How does the EF - S lens play a role?

Thanks for preserving at least a part of my EOS 500 equipment!

Earl Semones, Palm Springs, CA

Yes to the first question. And head over to the Canon dSLR page for the second question.

esemones
08-28-2004, 04:23 PM
Thank you, George.

John_Reed
08-28-2004, 05:01 PM
Thank you, George.Well Sheesh, while you're over there drooling over the dRebel, you might also spend a little drool over the new 20D, which isn't orders of magnitude more costly than the dRebel, but is a lot more camera, I think.