PDA

View Full Version : As I suspected...

Rex914
04-11-2005, 06:48 PM
Nikon Product News Update

Following recent speculation, Nikon UK is pleased to confirm the launch of two new digital SLR cameras to be launched towards the end of April 2005.

Both cameras have been designed to meet the requirements of the entry-level digital SLR user. The first will position itself as successor to the Nikon D70, offering an upgraded version to this highly commended D-SLR. The camera will incorporate the latest in Nikon technology, whilst retaining the functionality and quality which has come to be expected from the D70.

In addition to this, Nikon will be introducing a second D-SLR, specifically designed for consumers looking to upgrade from a digital compact to the next level of digital photography. The camera will be affordable and easy to use, perfect for the D-SLR beginner.

More detailed information on both new products will follow shortly.

Exactly as I thought. The D50 is Nikon's official "compact DSLR" aimed squarely at that market that's hovering between DSLR and high end fixed lens. This truly signals the end of the high end fixed lens market as yet another major player is putting its bets that people want a DSLR instead of a $1000 camera that takes worse pictures.

jeisner
04-11-2005, 07:04 PM
It makes sense, half the prosumers cost as much or more than the low end DSLRs, so why by the prosumer anymore? some people may but really I think the prosumer has peaked and will fall off now as the DSLR gains momentum...

JubalH
04-13-2005, 08:25 AM
I actually tend to disagree with your assessment. I sat on the fence for a couple of years before venturing from the prosumer world into the dSLR world. The biggest turn-off was the size of the cam. I travel a lot and love to take a decent camera with me. Don't get me wrong - I love my SLRs but I will never tote them - digital or otherwise - with me to St Barts, Venice or the down the New River simply because of their size.

Have you taken your dSLR backpacking, canoeing or to the local waterpark with the kids? Me either. But my 4mp/10x Olympus has been everywhere.

TheObiJuan
04-13-2005, 08:40 AM
that is awesome! I can't wait to see it.
BTW JubalH, the 20D, XT, D70,etc. although DSLRs, are prosumer cameras.

Ray Schnoor
04-13-2005, 09:33 AM
Have you taken your dSLR backpacking, canoeing or to the local waterpark with the kids?

Canoeing? No, but I have taken it hiking, skiing and to the local waterpark.

Ray.

JubalH
04-13-2005, 12:11 PM
BTW JubalH, the 20D, XT, D70,etc. although DSLRs, are prosumer cameras.

Thanks for the info. My mistake. I guess I'm in the minority. Wouldn't be the first time and most likely won't be the last.

Take care

D70FAN
04-13-2005, 05:10 PM
Have you taken your dSLR backpacking, canoeing or to the local waterpark with the kids? Me either. But my 4mp/10x Olympus has been everywhere.

Actually...backpacking and canoeing, yes. The water park might be a bit risky, and people get a little freaked when you have a dSLR around kids. So I don't even take my all-in-one there (with the grandkids).

I found that I missed just as many pictures due to poor performance traveling with an all-in-one as I did when I was home. So I bought a Sigma 18-125 and a Lowepro TLZ Mini to make it less painfull. ;)

Just my opinion...

palmbook
04-13-2005, 05:42 PM
It's just a marketing strategy.

DSLR - oh, a magic tool for manufacturers to squeeze every single dollar from your wallet. Whenever you get your hand on one, your money will keep streaming out of your bank account.

I agree with JubalH. Many people buy these high-end compacts because they're lighter. It's so painful as I had to carry my DSLR with several lenses all along my 7-days trip.

If you think that you need a DSLR for "better photos," you are absolutely wrong. I love Ken Rockwell because he never gives photographic equipments more priority than your knowledge and imagination.

These photos were taken with a poor-quality-in-many-people's-eyes camera : Nikon Coolpix 8700

speaklightly
04-13-2005, 10:13 PM
I apologize, Palmbook-

I guess I don't see you major point/issue. Personally, I believe that every single one of us should use and revel in the digital camera that works best for each of us. It does not matter if is a Point and Shoot, a fixed lens digital camera, or a dSLR.

The only important issue is this: Is your digital camera taking the digital photos that you desire? Please understand, there is no class or camera type warfare within this forum. We are just a collective of folks who enjoy digital cameras, and want to take the very best digital photos.

Perhaps if you let down your defences a bit, you would enjoy that collective feeling/drive a bit more.

Congratulations! Your digital photos are wonderful.

Sarah Joyce

TheObiJuan
04-13-2005, 10:57 PM
If you think that you need a DSLR for "better photos," you are absolutely wrong.

I needed a DSLR to take better photos, and I am not wrong. Your blanket statement is |wrong|. Perhaps in your type of photography a P&S would suffice, for me it wouldn't. I shoot sports, concerts, and wildlife. Many times the 350D's high ISO abilities allows me to capture flawless images, where most P&S's would have produced a worthless image. The high shutter speed, very large aperture options, and excellent range of lenses allow me to tailor my camera to my type of shooting. The option of adjusting my white balance many ways has cut my photoshop time immensely.

Since I got the XT 95% of my images are untouched. I have done noise reduction only a couple of times. WB is almost always deadon, quality is amazing, and sharpness is astonishing. I will probably get the successor to the FZ20 becuase of the value that camera offers, but it will in no way substitute my 350D for normal shooting.

The only times images appear "good" to me from any point and shoots that I have experienced is outside where their is ample light, or in a well lit and controlled room.

but if you meant "better" as in needing better composition, control of DOF, manual exposure, or perspective, then nevermind. ;)

palmbook
04-14-2005, 12:10 AM
but if you meant "better" as in needing better composition, control of DOF, manual exposure, or perspective, then nevermind. ;)
I meant that ;)

Your work demands DSLRs. However, many photographers never shoot anything beyond capability of compacts. I always advice new photographers to start off with a decent compact camera first. Not only they're cheaper, but it's easier to use and you can concentrate on more important issues such as composition or times of the day.

Don't say that DSLR is a better choice to start off with, just because you don't have to purchase other one later (sure, one day the guys with compacts will move up to DSLRs). Most people change cameras every 2 years or even less. Hence, to start off with DSLR does not mean you will not change the camera at all.

TheObiJuan
04-14-2005, 12:17 AM
I never said that DSLR is a better choice to start off with. I wouldn't say that. I started out with a Kodak DX6490, then moved to a sony P150, then finally to the XT.
I would not have had it any other way... well, maybe going from the dx6490 to the FZ20. :D

palmbook
04-14-2005, 12:34 AM
I apologize, Palmbook-

I guess I don't see you major point/issue. Personally, I believe that every single one of us should use and revel in the digital camera that works best for each of us. It does not matter if is a Point and Shoot, a fixed lens digital camera, or a dSLR.

The only important issue is this: Is your digital camera taking the digital photos that you desire? Please understand, there is no class or camera type warfare within this forum. We are just a collective of folks who enjoy digital cameras, and want to take the very best digital photos.

Perhaps if you let down your defences a bit, you would enjoy that collective feeling/drive a bit more.

Congratulations! Your digital photos are wonderful.

Sarah Joyce
I'm sorry for my impoliteness :(

My main point is that "don't get lured with the camera manufacturers, they want us to buy DSLRs because they know we will spend a lot when we have one."

A lot of people spend money on lenses "a lot more" than the camera itself.

My minor point is "a person behind the camera is more important than the camera."

Yes, you can get everything in your photo tack sharp with the best lenses. However, that does not mean your photos are good just because they are sharp (contrasty or whatever).

Adams Ansel once said "There is nothing worse than a sharp image with a fuzzy idea."

Finally, thank you for your compliments ;)

speaklightly
04-14-2005, 06:22 AM
palmbook-

I appreciate your clarification. Thank you.

Sarah Joyce

Ray Schnoor
04-14-2005, 06:48 AM
It's just a marketing strategy.

DSLR - oh, a magic tool for manufacturers to squeeze every single dollar from your wallet. Whenever you get your hand on one, your money will keep streaming out of your bank account.

I agree with JubalH. Many people buy these high-end compacts because they're lighter. It's so painful as I had to carry my DSLR with several lenses all along my 7-days trip.

If you think that you need a DSLR for "better photos," you are absolutely wrong. I love Ken Rockwell because he never gives photographic equipments more priority than your knowledge and imagination.

These photos were taken with a poor-quality-in-many-people's-eyes camera : Nikon Coolpix 8700

First, we need to set 1 very important thing straight. All digital cameras are magic tools for manufacturers to squeeze every single dollar from your wallet.;)

Ray.