PDA

View Full Version : How does the Pan fz2 stack up in quality?

yorkshire0
08-25-2004, 08:46 AM
I am looking at the Pan fz3. It appears that is is similar to the fz2 or updated version. The fz2 is not reviewed on this site that I can see. I have been looking and reading for quite awhile. I decided to wait on this new line coming out. I was thinking that the fz3 was a lower version of the fz10 being a 3 mega Pixel vs. a 4 mega Pixel. I thought this fz3 would be comparable to the canons 10x SI. I was reluctant to buy the canon because of the auto focus slowness and low lighting,and many have said it is not good for sports. I was looking at the fz10 but it too lacked the help in low lighting situations. So after reading I believe now the fz3 is closer to the fz2 then the fz10. So I was looking to see how the picture quality looked including purple fringing. The canons 10x seemed worst then normal. The fz3 is closer to my price range but the fz15 looks really good.

John_Reed
08-25-2004, 10:18 AM
I am looking at the Pan fz3. It appears that is is similar to the fz2 or updated version. The fz2 is not reviewed on this site that I can see. I have been looking and reading for quite awhile. I decided to wait on this new line coming out. I was thinking that the fz3 was a lower version of the fz10 being a 3 mega Pixel vs. a 4 mega Pixel. I thought this fz3 would be comparable to the canons 10x SI. I was reluctant to buy the canon because of the auto focus slowness and low lighting,and many have said it is not good for sports. I was looking at the fz10 but it too lacked the help in low lighting situations. So after reading I believe now the fz3 is closer to the fz2 then the fz10. So I was looking to see how the picture quality looked including purple fringing. The canons 10x seemed worst then normal. The fz3 is closer to my price range but the fz15 looks really good.Here in the States, they never sold the FZ2, but people performed the "bootleg" firmware upgrade on their FZ1s to conform to the FZ2's features, which works very well. Having used both the FZ1v2, and now the FZ10, I actually think the former has less of a "purple fringing" or CA problem than the latter, though it really becomes an issue only in severe lighting conditions of high contrast. I've now seen results from an FZ3 photographer on the dpreview forum, and it looks like it gives an improvement in that respect over both of my cameras. For best performance in this arena, possibly the FZ15, though no one's seen one yet. You can actually buy FZ3s and FZ20s now, in the States anyway.

yorkshire0
08-25-2004, 11:58 AM
Yes, as I was trying to find the cameras and the fz15 was not to be found. Is there a reason for this one over the others? Also, I was told that the image sensor on the fz3 is smaller then on the canon s1 by about 34% and the fz15 was quite a bit larger{1/2.5"}. Does this matter much? Also it seems the tele on the fz3 focal distance is smaller then on the fz15. Looking at both the fz3 and the canon s1 features do you think they are comprable and does one rise above the other on paper anyways? I am really struggling with making a choice. Thanks for your imput.

John_Reed
08-25-2004, 01:54 PM
Yes, as I was trying to find the cameras and the fz15 was not to be found. Is there a reason for this one over the others? Also, I was told that the image sensor on the fz3 is smaller then on the canon s1 by about 34% and the fz15 was quite a bit larger{1/2.5"}. Does this matter much? Also it seems the tele on the fz3 focal distance is smaller then on the fz15. Looking at both the fz3 and the canon s1 features do you think they are comprable and does one rise above the other on paper anyways? I am really struggling with making a choice. Thanks for your imput.The FZ15 was announced at the same time as the FZ3 & FZ20, and the latter two are just now starting to be available for purchase. I heard a date like 9/8 for the FZ15, but only Panasonic really knows when. When comparing sensor sizes, it relates to potential noise in images, but you can't compare the absolute size of sensors, what really counts is the size of each site. The FZ15 sensor is larger, yes, but it also has 33% more pixels, so it durn well should be larger. A lot of things besides sensor size influence picture quality. My experiences with cameras having the Panasonic Leica lenses is that they are very fine pieces of glass. I think the Canon S1's lens is a little slower, and certainly smaller than that of the FZ3, and the FZ3 has greater zoom reach, as well as a better stabilizer, from what I've heard about it. (Popular Photography magazine in its August issue already concluded that the FZ10's stabilizer works better than the S1's, and the new crop is supposed to be improved even further.) I think I'd go for the S1 only if the 640X480 movie capability was important to you as a feature.

yorkshire0
08-25-2004, 03:59 PM
I have two more questions. Does the fz3 and the fz15 have manual focus? I think the hot shoe is off the fz15 compared to the fz10 but I was not sure about the manual focus. My specs did not show this or I was not reading it correctly. It seems that there are many controls on the cameras and I would think the manual focus would be included to correlate with the other controls. Would this be a big drawback to the camera to not have the manual focus? Secondly, does the pixel upgrade be significant between these two cameras or anything else to consider that would be important to purchase the fz15 over the fz3?

John_Reed
08-25-2004, 05:41 PM
I have two more questions. Does the fz3 and the fz15 have manual focus? I think the hot shoe is off the fz15 compared to the fz10 but I was not sure about the manual focus. My specs did not show this or I was not reading it correctly. It seems that there are many controls on the cameras and I would think the manual focus would be included to correlate with the other controls. Would this be a big drawback to the camera to not have the manual focus? Secondly, does the pixel upgrade be significant between these two cameras or anything else to consider that would be important to purchase the fz15 over the fz3?The FZ3 doesn't have manual focus. From what I hear about the FZ3, I think you'll have a lot easier time attaching third-party addons to the FZ15, as all the things already in place for the FZ10 should work for the FZ15; not so for the FZ3, as it has a new bayonet-mount hood, with 55mm filter threads only in the plastic tube provided. Personally, I think the FZ15 would likely have lower noise than the FZ3, but that's only a guess from the seat-of-my-pants. :rolleyes: