PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy risky?Canon

juliezim
04-10-2005, 12:09 PM
I have an Oly C-3040 I love (multifunctional, great low light capabilities) but I am considering a pocket camera for travel - specifically the Canon SD300. (But even if I was considering the 500 or 400 I'd have the same qualms. Read on.)

HOWEVER, the stories about LCDs cracking are a concern - it appears to be mostly cold weather - and it looks like the point of purchase (Best Buy, Dell) stands behind the problem better than Canon (I asked Canon about the problem - they report "no known issues" - yeah, right).

So, if I take a chance, the question is where I buy the camera and whether I get an extended warranty (I live in Iowa - the problem could surface in January or February if it is cold related). I'd love to save money at Butterfly.com or newegg, as many have recommended, but is that wise in this case?

I'd welcome your ideas on this.
Julie in Iowa

TheObiJuan
04-10-2005, 12:16 PM
In the past I have purchased all of my digital cameras with best buy. I have paid a premium on top of a warranty fee, but I have had no down time. I have swapped out for new cameras 3 times. It is worth it to me.