PDA

View Full Version : Picasa for photo organizing and viewing

JKO
04-10-2005, 05:48 AM
I am using the free Picasa (www.picasa.com) for viewing photos on the PC, however this does not support Adobe RGB yet (migh be included in a future release, they said when I sent a mail to their support). This program is great organizer, might be too much of "beginner style" for many. But it suites my needs well, very fast viewing and organizing. You can quickly edit your photos without altering the original (no need to make a copy before editing as the edit information is stored in a "description file" and the original is kept as it is).

However I would only recommend this editing for on-screen use as the options are limited. For beginner like me I can actually get better results from editing in Picasa then in photoshop elements (and much quicker), but I guess this is just due to my lack of knowledge in Photoshop.

Jan

PMR
04-10-2005, 06:36 AM
I use Picasa and I love it. The ease of use if amazing. You can edit, view, and share your pictures all right there. I use Hello (a sister program to Picasa) to send my pictures to an online blog. (blogger.com) Picasa and Hello are very useful tools and I would recomend them to anyone.

Wombat
04-10-2005, 01:33 PM
I would agree with everything JKO has said. I too, am a beginner and find Picasa a real pleasure to use, very intuitive and never crashes, stalls or freezes. I particularly like the way you can drag images around to change the order within a folder and even drag them to different folders. Adding stars to select special images for download, printing or just becasue you rate them is really handy.

The slideshow is a great way to relax and enjoy the fruits of your hard work and to assess images.

Picassa also has a histogram for each image that I find a boon for "tuning" as I have a tendency to over-expose.

I do find it useful to re-name files using a file re-namer so IMG003234.JPG becomes something more meaningful like Daisy003.JPG. I do this before moving the folder to my default Picasa folder on my hard drive. I have found if you rename the files after editing with Picasa all the edits are lost.

Regards
Wombat