PDA

View Full Version : Help with A75

Del_Orbe
08-24-2004, 03:08 PM
I just bought a Powershot A75, and while looking for help on the camera it seems as if this is the best site for help and reviews after reading around the boards a bit. I now have a problem with my camera, when I connect it to my computer to upload some images onto my PC, my PC tells me that there is no camera connected. Everything is properly connected and all the programs work, it just tells me there is no camera connected to the computer. Please some help.....all those other sites have been useless. Thanks in advance

John_Reed
08-24-2004, 03:37 PM
I just bought a Powershot A75, and while looking for help on the camera it seems as if this is the best site for help and reviews after reading around the boards a bit. I now have a problem with my camera, when I connect it to my computer to upload some images onto my PC, my PC tells me that there is no camera connected. Everything is properly connected and all the programs work, it just tells me there is no camera connected to the computer. Please some help.....all those other sites have been useless. Thanks in advanceDel, a couple of questions:
What PC and OS are you using?
Are you connecting directly to the camera, or with the card in a card reader?
Has your A75 ever worked with your computer at all?
A little history would be useful. :confused:

Del_Orbe
08-24-2004, 03:47 PM
My PC is a Compaq Presario
I'm connecting directly from PC to camera....
and the 1st week I bought it everything was fine, it started after the batteries wasted and and I recharged them.....

John_Reed
08-24-2004, 04:34 PM
My PC is a Compaq Presario
I'm connecting directly from PC to camera....
and the 1st week I bought it everything was fine, it started after the batteries wasted and and I recharged them.....And have you rebooted (restarted) your PC since all this happened? Here's one thing that might be plagueing you, I don't know. When you first connect your camera to the PC, the computer recognizes it (or should, anyway) as an external disk drive, and it "mounts" the new "disk drive," so as to be able to exchange data with it, either by downloading photos, in your case, or erasing them after download, which amounts to information flowing from the computer to the "disk." Now, if you just disconnect the camera without formally "saying goodbye" to the PC, it may still think it's attached, and not allow you to re-connect something that it thinks is "already connected." In order to properly "dismount," or disconnect the camera, you need to find its icon wherever it appears on the computer (I have a Mac, it's a little different, so work with me here :o), select the icon, and "Right-click" on it to select it, and then "Eject" the disk.
So first of all, see if you can connect the camera after rebooting the computer, and if you can, always disconnect in the way I described. If you can't connect even after rebooting, so indicate, and maybe another PC-savvier person here can come up with more insight for you.

judge9847
08-25-2004, 03:01 AM
I'm not sure about it but it does sound a wee bit like the driver (the software that allows the PC to communicate with your camera) could have got corrupted.

As a start, I'd un-install the driver that you have - and I'm assuming that it came with the camera, usually on a CD these days - and make sure that it's definitely removed. Then do a COLD start of the PC, in other words, shut it down completely and switch it off for a couple of minutes. That's just my way of doing this sort of stuff by the way! Now re-install the driver.

When you're ready, connect the camera with the supplied cable - make sure it's NOT switched on - to the PC. When that's all done, switch the camera on in whatever way you have to do that and at the very worst, it should appear in Windows Explorer as a "Removeable Drive" I think it calls it. In my case, it's the G:\ drive because I have 2 CD drives but it could be anything depending on your setup.

The software that allows you to see the images on the camera's card may also start up when you switch the camera on. If it does that's fine too because it will prove everything's working as it should do.

John's advice is very sound indeed: when you're finished with the camera talking to the PC, switch the camera off. With my own setup, if I just pull out the cable, the PC crashes and has to be cold started again. And I have known system crashes to cause considerable problems, not least of which is a complete screw-up of the drivers that were in use at the time.

If you still have a problem, don't hesitate to say so and between us we'll try and find Plan "B"!!

(One final thing - you say you had to recharge the battery. I know this sounds like it's a question aimed at a complete ejit but here it is anyway! - you're sure the batteries did recharge? Dafter things have happened I can promise so you never know. And forgive me if any of this is an insult to your PC awareness or understanding :) )

Let us know how you get on - it'll be something to add to the collective knowledge, no matter what the outcome.

Del_Orbe
08-25-2004, 07:35 PM
I'm not sure about it but it does sound a wee bit like the driver (the software that allows the PC to communicate with your camera) could have got corrupted.

As a start, I'd un-install the driver that you have - and I'm assuming that it came with the camera, usually on a CD these days - and make sure that it's definitely removed. Then do a COLD start of the PC, in other words, shut it down completely and switch it off for a couple of minutes. That's just my way of doing this sort of stuff by the way! Now re-install the driver.

When you're ready, connect the camera with the supplied cable - make sure it's NOT switched on - to the PC. When that's all done, switch the camera on in whatever way you have to do that and at the very worst, it should appear in Windows Explorer as a "Removeable Drive" I think it calls it. In my case, it's the G:\ drive because I have 2 CD drives but it could be anything depending on your setup.

The software that allows you to see the images on the camera's card may also start up when you switch the camera on. If it does that's fine too because it will prove everything's working as it should do.

John's advice is very sound indeed: when you're finished with the camera talking to the PC, switch the camera off. With my own setup, if I just pull out the cable, the PC crashes and has to be cold started again. And I have known system crashes to cause considerable problems, not least of which is a complete screw-up of the drivers that were in use at the time.

If you still have a problem, don't hesitate to say so and between us we'll try and find Plan "B"!!

(One final thing - you say you had to recharge the battery. I know this sounds like it's a question aimed at a complete ejit but here it is anyway! - you're sure the batteries did recharge? Dafter things have happened I can promise so you never know. And forgive me if any of this is an insult to your PC awareness or understanding :) )

Let us know how you get on - it'll be something to add to the collective knowledge, no matter what the outcome.

thats it.....i followed this and it worked!!!! thanks alot!!! i'll be telling friends about this site, very helpful and the reviews on cameras are good....thanks again to everyone for helping me out..... :)

payitfwd
08-30-2004, 09:43 PM
Oh Oh I know this one!! You have to make sure the slider button that goes from the red camera to the play arrow is on the play arrow.

I've done this many times and it took me a few days to figure that one ot

tomfr
11-10-2004, 07:16 AM
hi
I have the same problem with my A75 - my computer can't see it.
I have windows 98 and the first time i connected the camera it did see it but somehow that install went wrong.
Since then i have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver many times.
I have gone into Safe Mode and removed all references to USb so the computer reinstalls everything but it still won't see the camera.
If have reinstalled my old camera which it saw instantly ( and now uninstalled again).
I have tried it on a Win98 pc and Mac at work and it is seen fine

Somewhere i feel there is a reference to the camera that i need to remove.
Does anybody know where?

I have contacted Canon and they told me the Safe Mode routine but they've given up helping now.

tom

Ian
11-15-2004, 03:35 PM
I had the same problem and found a conflict between the scanner and camera (mustek usb 600). Once I removed scanner all was well.Mustek & Canon cant help.