PDA

View Full Version : Accessorizing the XT

Chrisfish
04-09-2005, 05:29 PM
Hi all.

There is a good chance that I am going to buy a digital rebel xt. I wanted to accsessorize the camera when I buy it in the hopes that I could get a discount for buying everything at once. Are these accessories good choices for someone new to dslrs? Are there any good alternatives to them? Have I forgotten anything?

Canon digital Xt
Standard Lens: EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro
Zoom Lens: EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Telaconverter Extender EF 2x II
Wide Angle: EF 24mm f/2.8
FS-72U Filter Set (72mm)
Flashcards 2 extreme 3s 1gbs
Monopod
Backpack

Thanks for any help.
Chrisfish

gary_hendricks
04-09-2005, 08:21 PM
That looks like a pretty well-rounded and thought-out list. :)

Hopefully you can get a discount for buying it together, if not, just tell the vendor you'll find someone else who will give you a package deal... That tends to work. :cool:

gabester
04-09-2005, 08:53 PM
Hi all.

There is a good chance that I am going to buy a digital rebel xt. I wanted to accsessorize the camera when I buy it in the hopes that I could get a discount for buying everything at once. Are these accessories good choices for someone new to dslrs? Are there any good alternatives to them? Have I forgotten anything?

What about at least one extra NB-2L battery? :)

Chrisfish
04-09-2005, 10:36 PM
Hi Gabester and Gary.

Yeah I should add an additional battery and a lense cleaning kit to that list eh?

Im hoping that if I spend upwards of 4000K cdn the place will give me a good deal! Does anyone know stores that would (or woudnt) do this? (im in Toronto, Canada).

Im having trouble finding a good monopod that will comeup to 5"8 or 5"9. I thought that you were supposed to get one at your eye level..? any suggestions?

thanks

Chrisfish

TheObiJuan
04-10-2005, 03:06 AM
Hi all.

Canon digital Xt
Standard Lens: EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro
Zoom Lens: EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Telaconverter Extender EF 2x II
Wide Angle: EF 24mm f/2.8
FS-72U Filter Set (72mm)
Flashcards 2 extreme 3s 1gbs
Monopod
Backpack

Thanks for any help.
Chrisfish

congrats on wanting to get a great dslr. :D The 50mm f/2.5 macro is a great lens, but as most macros, it is slow to focus. If you plan on using it for non-macro work expect some hunting and slow focusing. The 75-300 IS is a great lens, but the quality may become an issue for you later. The pictures are all soft wide open, and I experienced a lot of chromatic aborration in my outdoors shots when using it. the canon 70-200 f/4, although a little more expensive and has less range, is faster and will provide much better image quality. The teleconverter can be used to increase the range on it.

the teleconverter is a great way to get extra reach out of your lenses, but the 2x will more than likely yield slow autofocusing, if any. also, you will loose 2 stops of light on an already slow lens and the image will be noticeably softer. for TCs, the 1.4x is a great option, as you will maintain autofocus, only lose 1 stop, and still have pretty sharp pictures.

the extreme III cards are excellent cards, but the cheaper Ultra II's will be just as fast in your camera. I would recommend these instead. They can be found online for 76-80 dollars if you try.

what type of monopod will you buy? what ballhead? what backpack?
I would recommend the canon 200EG backpack. I have it and have plenty of room to spare. It only costs 40 new too. ;)

Balrog
04-10-2005, 03:58 AM
Umm .. not sure how wide you want to go with the 'wide angle' lens choice, but with the 1.6X fov crop on the rebel, 24mm would be something like 38mm in film terms ... might want to get something wider?

offtopic: :) 'flashcards' .. brings back 3rd grade memories ... I can just imagine walking into class one day with a Sandisk Ultra II in my hand and, when the teacher asks me something, say .. "I have it all right here on my flashcard!" ;)

Chrisfish
04-10-2005, 07:54 AM
Hi TheObiJuan,

Thanks for the advice.

First, what lense would you suggest, if any, that could be used for non-macro work/ macro work or just as prime?

Second, my reason for wanting the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM and the Extender EF 2x II is that I want to have a large zoom range. 200 plus the 1.4 gives me only 280mm, less than x10 zoom. Are there other options avaliable that would give me a 600mm range? Preferably with is..?

Will the ultra IIs work as well with the rebel xt even if its in burst fire?

The canon backpack looks good. Im having trouble picking out a monopod and ballhead but I dont want to spend more than 150 for both.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Balrog; what lense choice would you suggest? what is a good wide angle lense that would work well with the rebel? thanks

Chrisfish

Balrog
04-10-2005, 09:36 AM
Umm .. :) heheh, no personal experience with SLRs or lenses, so I really wouldn't know - was just pointing out that a 38mm-ish lens wouldn't really be great for wide angle shots ...
I think Canon has a wide angle zoom lens specifically for their dSLRs .. 10-22mm EF-S that would get you a really nice 16mm-equivalent wide angle .. or I think Sigma has a 12-24, or a 14mm prime which would be something like 22mm-equivalent. Not sure how much all those cost, though....
Here's a review (http://www.completedigitalphotography.com/index.php?p=325) of the Canon lens, also has links to some other wide angle lenses.
Maybe some of the real canoneers (;)) have some suggestions?

schmoppa
04-10-2005, 10:15 AM
Regarding the extender, doesn't it only work with L lenses?

TheObiJuan
04-10-2005, 11:07 AM
it works with glass that doesn't have rear protruding elements. that would be the 70-200's and 135L and up.

TheObiJuan
04-10-2005, 11:27 AM
Hi TheObiJuan,

Thanks for the advice.

First, what lense would you suggest, if any, that could be used for non-macro work/ macro work or just as prime?

Second, my reason for wanting the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM and the Extender EF 2x II is that I want to have a large zoom range. 200 plus the 1.4 gives me only 280mm, less than x10 zoom. Are there other options avaliable that would give me a 600mm range? Preferably with is..?

Will the ultra IIs work as well with the rebel xt even if its in burst fire?

The canon backpack looks good. Im having trouble picking out a monopod and ballhead but I dont want to spend more than 150 for both.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Balrog; what lense choice would you suggest? what is a good wide angle lense that would work well with the rebel? thanks

Chrisfish

the canon 100 f/2.8 macro is a great lens and has USM. The sigma 105 macro does not have HSM so it will focus slowly. A friend just purchased the sigma 180mm f/2.8 macro, but that one is very pricey. I really like it though.. :(

dont fuss over the huge zoom range, you will give up huge ammounts of quality usually when you go with the bigger zooms. The sigma 50-500 is an exception. when you take that 2x on that already poor image quality lens, and slow lens you will have a very soft, low resolution, and f/8-f/11 lens. This will mean that anywhere but bright daylight it is useless. The 70-200 will allow you to have an f/4 fstop throughout the range. I am going with the sigma 120-300 f/2.8, but it is hella pricey. With the 120-300 it will be a 168-420mm f/4, with a field of view of a 268.8-672mm! :eek:
if you need IS, and the added weight, :rolleyes:, then the canon 100-400 IS with a tele is good option, but may be out of your pricerange aswell.

yes, they will work aswell. the only difference you will notice is when you load them up to your computer and if you use a pc adapter or firewire.

get the fiesol carbon fiber monopod for $70 bucks and then get the bogen 486rc2 head for 60 bucks. if you want a tripod I would recommend the dynatran at-12t. I have it and the center column turns into a monopod. The build quality is very high and works really well. The tripod/monopod combo cam be found on amvona.com or ebay. I paid 80 bucks for mine. :)

I am going with the very high quality and sorta fast tamron 17-35 f/2.8-4. this is a great lens and is worth every penny. sigma makes a version of it too but is not as good. sigma just released a second version of it, but I have not seen it or do not know if they have improved upon it.

regards,
juan manuel

bestebez
04-11-2005, 11:09 AM
I don't think you can use the extender on most lenses.

And if so I do recomment the 1.4 as the image quality on the 2.0 decreases to much and you lose two f stops.

TheObiJuan
04-11-2005, 02:07 PM
I just put a 1.4 tamron on my 135f f/2.8. Canon says you cant, but I did, and it worked flawlessly.

Chrisfish
04-11-2005, 02:17 PM
Hi again.

Sorry Ive been a bit busy the last few days. But I did make it out to a camera shop in the last few days to check out some prices. DANG! These lenses are so expensive!

In terms of the zoom lense I am willing to pay up to 900-1000cdn tops for it. And I want the lense to be at least 300mm. Thats why I picked the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM and the Extender (although I may choose to go with the 1.4 extender, as quality is a big issue for me - thanks 4 your feedback bestebez!). The sigma and the canon are well out of my price range.. is the above canon and extender my best bet to get the range I want (and crave)?

That other sigma that your using is way too much for me as well could I sub in a Canon EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM ? Would that allow me to use it as my main lense and also for wide angle shots? or should I go for the EF 20mm f/2.8 USM?

Basicly if I spend 1000cdn on an zoom and 600 on a wide angle thats all I can afford to spend on lenses.

Will those Ultra 2 cards be able to keep up with the canon on burst fire with 8mp res?

Thanks for the monopod advice as well! I will take a look at that model next time im in a camera store.

Thanks for all your help and advice TheObiJuan.

Chrisfish

Chrisfish
04-11-2005, 02:25 PM
I guess I could always buy the zoom or wide lenses later and go for a Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM. Speaklightly took some really nice picks with that one! Mind you she has a D20..

TheObiJuan
04-11-2005, 02:30 PM
Hi again.

Sorry Ive been a bit busy the last few days. But I did make it out to a camera shop in the last few days to check out some prices. DANG! These lenses are so expensive!

In terms of the zoom lense I am willing to pay up to 900-1000cdn tops for it. And I want the lense to be at least 300mm. Thats why I picked the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM and the Extender (although I may choose to go with the 1.4 extender, as quality is a big issue for me - thanks 4 your feedback bestebez!). The sigma and the canon are well out of my price range.. is the above canon and extender my best bet to get the range I want (and crave)?

That other sigma that your using is way too much for me as well could I sub in a Canon EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM ? Would that allow me to use it as my main lense and also for wide angle shots? or should I go for the EF 20mm f/2.8 USM?

Basicly if I spend 1000cdn on an zoom and 600 on a wide angle thats all I can afford to spend on lenses.

Will those Ultra 2 cards be able to keep up with the canon on burst fire with 8mp res?

Thanks for the monopod advice as well! I will take a look at that model next time im in a camera store.

Thanks for all your help and advice TheObiJuan.

Chrisfish

slr high quality lenses are very pricey, it sucks.. :(
the Ultra 2 cards will be able to keep up with the burst fire with out any problems.