PDA

View Full Version : XP and SmartMedia problem - need help

sean
04-09-2005, 05:27 PM
Bought a new laptop which has a SM reader. I also have a Olympus C-4000 Zoom which I have been very happy with.

Plugged the card in there, read and transfered the pics to laptop no problem. Now the camera does not read the card nor will it format it. Called Olympus, they said that XP puts couple of files (indexing mechanizm) on SM everytime it is inserted. The guy said, the only way I can get my card back is to format the card on my computer using FAT12 options. Apparantly, XP standard format is FAT32.

Anyone has any idea where I can find such a utility? Please help as I do not want to buy another 128MB SM card.

Please post or simply email me at sfsss@yahoo.com Many thanks

kgosden
04-09-2005, 06:44 PM
Hmm, I have never had any problems with XP and SmartMedia with one exception. I had a relatively old 4-in-1 SM/MMC/SD/MS PCMCIA card adapter that needed a newer file installed to make it work well under XP. XP does standardize it's formatting to FAT32 instead of the older FAT16 (not 12, no such thing). That is easy enough to correct as the format type can be changed when you are formatting. When the format popup menu opens, select 'FAT' from the File System box. That's all there is to it.

It is generally a good rule to just copy files off your memory cards and not to format in the computer. XP does not place any additional files on the card unless you use the preview option or thumbnail views when you access the card from the PC. To avoid this when inserting a card and XP pops up the 'what to do' option list select TAKE NO ACTION. This will tell the computer to treat the card files just like any other files.

Finally, if you only have one 128MB SmartMedia card; buy another 1 or 2 NOW. Do not delay as SmartMedia is no longer used in any new devices. Prices for this format have bottomed out and will likely begin to rise since no new manyfacturing capacity will come on line for them, and most likely there will only be one company making them in short production runs in a year or less. Buy them now while you can get them for $20 or so.

Sigbhu
04-24-2005, 08:48 PM
how about deleting thos especifeic files? go to view, folder options, show hidden/system files, on which the prblematic files should show up. delte them, and see if it works!

sean
05-06-2005, 03:27 PM
I thank you both of you above for posting. Tried all but none works.

Bought a card for $18 on eBay, an ok and left with a SM card to be used in Laptop only!

Any idea where I can get these cards (new) for $20?

Many thanks again,

kgosden
05-06-2005, 07:54 PM
Of course these days it seems terrible to pay $20 for a 128MB card. Still I can't feel too bad since many of my 128MB SM cards cost me $80 or so. Since SmartMedia is slowly following the dodo I think the fact that you can still buy good new ones for $20-30 is not too bad.

arwen
06-04-2005, 04:49 AM
Under no circumstances you should use your Camedia SM card in cheap (or expensive) card readers - there is always higs risk of loosing original SM format which COULD NOT be recovered!! Card will continue to work in MP3 players/portable memory, but not in cameras.

Always use serial or USB connection and original software - effort will save you a lot $$ since smart media cards production is slowly fading out.

jpiter
06-12-2005, 04:49 PM
Under no circumstances you should use your Camedia SM card in cheap (or expensive) card readers - there is always higs risk of loosing original SM format which COULD NOT be recovered!! Card will continue to work in MP3 players/portable memory, but not in cameras.

Always use serial or USB connection and original software - effort will save you a lot $$ since smart media cards production is slowly fading out.

I have used 3 different readers and have never had a problem. I did screw up low level format in a MP3 player, but restored the card using SM Prep that came with a ZIO reader. You can restore panorama header with method here
http://www.geocities.com/roberthaus/pan/

Jeff

Cadurisko
07-05-2005, 06:52 PM
I too am having Smart media card problems. I am staring at 3, 128mb cards that have photos on them....( I have a dazzle hi-speed USB 2.0 reader, can view them online and have saved them to my hard drive....and should I mention I cant see them on the camera? When I replace them into my CAMEDIA C-4000 ZOOM, the card setup screen pops up. When I select "format", and ok, I receive the message that all is erasing...when I then choose "yes" it gives me "card error". Same message on all three. Do I have to trash these 3 cards? Help please...not too computer savy but will try anything...leaving for 3 weeks in Ireland and dont want to leave this camera behind.

kgosden
07-05-2005, 09:12 PM
Have you tried cleaning the camera's card slot? I had occassional card errors with my C-3030Z. A short blast with the air canister seemed to cure them everytime. Maybe it was a cat hair. Sometimes I know it was particularly humid and I bet there was a bit of condensation going from A/C to outside here in Atlanta.

jchesner
07-07-2005, 07:28 AM
The specifications for this digital camera indicate that it can use 32 to 128 MB Smartmedia memory.

With the advent of larger capacity memory, is it possible to use a unit of from 256 to 1 GB or whatever the upper limit of this format may be?

Thanks -

- Jim

kgosden
07-07-2005, 09:17 AM
SmartMedia topped out at 128MB when it died as an ongoing format. The spec was raised to support 256MB just about a year before that point, but no manufacturer produced a commercially available card in that size. Even if they had it would not work in any existing SM device. SmartMedia devices contain the memory controller circuit in the device and are generally limited to reading only the sizes that were available when they were designed.

rayl
07-11-2005, 05:31 AM
Hmm, I have never had any problems with XP and SmartMedia with one exception. I had a relatively old 4-in-1 SM/MMC/SD/MS PCMCIA card adapter that needed a newer file installed to make it work well under XP. XP does standardize it's formatting to FAT32 instead of the older FAT16 (not 12, no such thing). That is easy enough to correct as the format type can be changed when you are formatting. When the format popup menu opens, select 'FAT' from the File System box. That's all there is to it.

It is generally a good rule to just copy files off your memory cards and not to format in the computer. XP does not place any additional files on the card unless you use the preview option or thumbnail views when you access the card from the PC. To avoid this when inserting a card and XP pops up the 'what to do' option list select TAKE NO ACTION. This will tell the computer to treat the card files just like any other files.

Finally, if you only have one 128MB SmartMedia card; buy another 1 or 2 NOW. Do not delay as SmartMedia is no longer used in any new devices. Prices for this format have bottomed out and will likely begin to rise since no new manyfacturing capacity will come on line for them, and most likely there will only be one company making them in short production runs in a year or less. Buy them now while you can get them for $20 or so.

This is what works for me, using explorer, identify your card and format using fat, as per above. This should allow your camera to identify card but writing will be slow, so reformat your card in camera and this should bring you up to speed.

Ray

fritcht
08-22-2005, 04:50 PM
I just had this happen to me this past month. I have an Olympus C-4000 Zoom also and have not had any problems with my cards being read from any SmartMedia and/or combo reader. Nor have I had any problems with specific operating systems; it's been read on Win9x, 2000, & XP Home & Pro.

It was only recently when I inserted my card into a new E-Machine PC's combo reader running XP Home did I have the format issue the card. It can be read from all the readers, but the camera will no longer recognize it or format it.

As for formatting, I have formatted the card using FAT and FAT32. I have also formatted using various disk allocation clusters, as well as, creating the default folders after formatting. Nada. The camera still will not recognize it.

I lost one 128MB card and my wife lost a second one to the E-Machine reader. I plan on purchasing a couple more, but I also will let Olympus know.

Demetri From Jacksonville
12-17-2005, 10:25 AM
I have stumbled across a fix that has repaired my SmartMedia Card after the dreaded "I thought I knew what I was doing when I formatted it from my computer".

Anyway, after the seventh search on Google and a few blank stares from my local digital processing reps (you know the geeks in walgreens & cvs) after I asked them to format my card in their fancy machines. I was stumped.

I was able to plug the card into the camera and see it using windows explorer as the removable J drive. Anyway-here are the steps I did:
Format (not FAT32) the card.
Click into the now blank directory and "create a new folder" named DCIM,
Clik into the DCIM folder and create a new folder named 100OLYMP

And that made it work....

This worked on my olympus camedia C 4000 zoom

Good luck.:D

NotRequired
12-25-2005, 08:59 AM
I just recieved a digital camera containing a 64mb SmartMedia card... I have a slot on the front of my computer clearly marked for the card, but it doesn't seem to want to go in... I would force it if it wasn't thinner than a credit card... can anyone give me some sage-like words of advice?

spdsl
07-14-2006, 03:47 AM
I tried to load the drivers into my windows xp machine but no success. If all else fails try this website.
http://www.smartmediarepair.com
I gave this company a shot and they delivered as promised. They were able to reformat and add the panorama feature to my card.
Sherri