PDA

View Full Version : canon g5, olympus 5060, or casio exilim p600

kwizzles
08-24-2004, 02:34 PM
hello,

i am looking foir a digital camera for about 400-600 euros.

i want to do snapshots but mainly try and play around to get a bit more into photographing
(that means i want to manualy choose most settings).

i also thought i'd later buy a wide angle lense.

i read quite somer reviews yet and the 3 cameras listed in the threads title seem to fit my needs.
the casio doesnt have an AF assist light, i know that its purpose is to help thre cameras autofocs but is that important or does that have great influences?

maybe there is a different camera i should have a look at too?

i hope someone can help me

kind regards

kwizzles
08-24-2004, 04:54 PM
ok, i just spent some more time reading/searching/etc and i think the nikon 5400 fits my needs too

Ben Miller
08-25-2004, 02:38 PM
I'm not totally familiar with all the cameras you listed, but I'm sure all of them will take good snapshots and also give you manual controls. I've got an Olympus C-5060 and I've been happy with it. I also considered the Canon and eventually went with the Olympus because I liked the feel of it and the way it worked.

Your question so far is pretty broad, so unless you have more factors that would help us help you, I would suggest that you go to a store and physically handle every camera that you might be considering. Features are important, but you won't know whether you like the operation of a camera until you pick it up. A little first-hand experience might help you make a decision.

kwizzles
08-26-2004, 07:06 AM
okay, thanks for your answer, i will try to add some more details.

- the camera has to be operateable with one hand
- i want to make images with wide angle, thats why the 5060 is my favorite choice, since i dont have to spewnd extra money for a lense, but i read some comments on the 5060 that it the Fxx values are bad, what does F2.8 etc mean?

kwizzles
08-26-2004, 10:08 AM
I've got an Olympus C-5060 and I've been happy with it.

can you please tell me how well that camera can be operated with one hand?

Ben Miller
08-26-2004, 01:19 PM
The "f" numbers quoted regarding a camera lens refer to the maximum size of the lens' aperture. A smaller f number means the lens can open wider, which leads to shorter exposure times. This is useful in low-light situations, since a camera with a "fast" lens (low f number) could use a faster shutter speed to help avoid blurry photos caused by hand shake.

The 5060's maximum aperture of f2.8 (that's only when the lens is at its widest, by the way) isn't great, but it's not terrible either.

However, since the camera needs to be usable with one hand, I doubt that the 5060 would be a good model for you. For one thing it's relatively large and heavy and would be harder to hold, I think, than a smaller camera. Also, some pretty important buttons are located on the LEFT side of the camera, and some functions require that the user hold down a button while turning a thumbwheel. It's really a two-hand camera.

Maybe what you need to do is take your coworker to a store, and have HIM try out the cameras!

kwizzles
08-26-2004, 05:25 PM
thanks for your answer, the problem is that there arent ny stores around here

the pictures will be taken using a tripod, but i think that pressing button on the left side + turning that wheel will be a problem though. i will probably go for the nikon camera, which has all of the buttons on the right side.