PDA

View Full Version : Confession of a pariah

Norm in Fujino
04-07-2005, 07:25 AM
Yup, I went out and bought the Olympus E-300 today. The Yodobashi chain here in Tokyo is having a campaign that gives you 17% point rebate if you buy over 200,000 yen in one day, and since I had just that much in camera body and lenses, it was a good deal (Zuiko 18-54 f2.8 and 50mm f2.0 macro, Sigma 55-200mm f4-f5.6)
I know I'm being contrarian to the Canon/Nikon thought around here, or maybe I just like to work harder to get good photos :( but I just came to believe it was the best decision for me. I like the logical "from the ground up" system concept, and the excellent Zuiko glass with its range of lens coverage I think will be good for what I anticipate doing with it. 99% of what I print will be A4 or below, and I don't believe even having a 20MP sensor with clean ISO 6400 will ever make any difference in the actual image quality of what I like to shoot. I don't do sports, though I will be shooting some birds; I'm most interested in seeing how the Sigma 55-200 performs in that role.
I really wanted the slr for the low shutter lag over my present camera--and btw, I can't deny that made an impact in my choice. I've liked the colors and detail I've gotten from my previous two Olys. Also, I already had an FL-50 flash, and that's a heavy investment that should now pay off well with the E-300.

Finally, I know that some people don't think it's that significant, but the inclusion of the dust removal system and in-camera pixel mapping function are important features that eventually all manfacturers will have. Oly has them now.

That about sums it up. Now the proof is in the pudding--I'll have to get busy doing some shooting to see whether my belabored logic has been right or not.

:confused:

gabester
04-07-2005, 07:56 AM
Norm, are you a pariah of the American diaspora in Tokyo? :)

More power to you for selecting a camera that suits your needs and preserves your investment. We won't thumb our noses at you, nor deride you for your choice. Besides, there's an awful lot of value in getting a dSLR *and* two lenses for much less than $1000 US; looks like you got an even better deal there. Now if Olympus would only come up with a self-cleaning lenses. LOL

Norm in Fujino
04-07-2005, 08:46 AM
Besides, there's an awful lot of value in getting a dSLR *and* two lenses for much less than $1000 US

Wish it were so; actually the total price for camera and three lenses was about $1700, after the 17% rebate. I've been trying to make sense of the receipts, but things are a bit hazy, since I also had to buy a laptop computer for my wife. It was definitely a good deal for Japan, though.

--and thanks for the support, Gabester. :D

gabester
04-07-2005, 09:00 AM
Wish it were so; actually the total price for camera and three lenses was about $1700, after the 17% rebate. I've been trying to make sense of the receipts, but things are a bit hazy, since I also had to buy a laptop computer for my wife. It was definitely a good deal for Japan, though.

--and thanks for the support, Gabester. :D

Norm, I remember seeing a recent deal where you can get the Evolt, 18-54 and 55-200 for less than $1000 US with rebate. Let me get this straight - in Japan those three things plus the 50mm F2.0 is $1700?? I always thought that Japanese electronics would be cheaper in Japan (no trade tariffs, overseas transportation costs, etc) - what's up with that? :eek:

Norm in Fujino
04-07-2005, 09:31 AM
Norm, I remember seeing a recent deal where you can get the Evolt, 18-54 and 55-200 for less than $1000 US with rebate.

I could believe it if the deal were for two Sigma lenses (maybe the 18-50 and 55-200), but not for Zuiko. The Zuiko 18-54 alone is over $500 here.

Let me get this straight - in Japan those three things plus the 50mm F2.0 is $1700?? I always thought that Japanese electronics would be cheaper in Japan

It used to be worse; back in the early 80s Japanese electronics were always more expensive here than overseas (at least in US); that's why "dumping" charges were made. They're pretty even now, though probably still a bit cheaper in the U.S. if you're willing to take a risk about the seller.

gabester
04-07-2005, 09:41 AM
I could believe it if the deal were for two Sigma lenses (maybe the 18-50 and 55-200), but not for Zuiko. The Zuiko 18-54 alone is over $500 here.

I was wrong; it was actually the 14-45 and the 40-150 with the body for $999.99. Here's the link (http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_rebates.asp) (see top of page). The multiplier's 2.0X on the Four-Thirds lenses, right? So a 14 would be 28 equivalent, whereas an 18 would be 36 equivalent, no?

Norm in Fujino
04-07-2005, 09:52 AM
I was wrong; it was actually the 14-45 and the 40-150 with the body for $999.99. Here's the link (http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_rebates.asp) (see top of page). The multiplier's 2.0X on the Four-Thirds lenses, right? So a 14 would be 28 equivalent, whereas an 18 would be 36 equivalent, no?

That sounds more like it. The kit lenses are almost being given away with the bodies here in Japan; I've even seen some places where it's more expensive to buy the body alone than with the kit lens. I think the Olympus 14-45 kit is probably still better than the lens that comes with the Rebel XT, but I wanted the extra brightness and general quality of the 14-54.
You're right, the focal-length multiplier is approximately x2 on the e system, so the 14-54mm is equivalent to a 28-108mm on a 35mm film camera.

Best wishes.

D70FAN
04-07-2005, 01:35 PM
Yup, I went out and bought the Olympus E-300 today. The Yodobashi chain here in Tokyo is having a campaign that gives you 17% point rebate if you buy over 200,000 yen in one day, and since I had just that much in camera body and lenses, it was a good deal (Zuiko 18-54 f2.8 and 50mm f2.0 macro, Sigma 55-200mm f4-f5.6)
I know I'm being contrarian to the Canon/Nikon thought around here, or maybe I just like to work harder to get good photos :( but I just came to believe it was the best decision for me. I like the logical "from the ground up" system concept, and the excellent Zuiko glass with its range of lens coverage I think will be good for what I anticipate doing with it. 99% of what I print will be A4 or below, and I don't believe even having a 20MP sensor with clean ISO 6400 will ever make any difference in the actual image quality of what I like to shoot. I don't do sports, though I will be shooting some birds; I'm most interested in seeing how the Sigma 55-200 performs in that role.
I really wanted the slr for the low shutter lag over my present camera--and btw, I can't deny that made an impact in my choice. I've liked the colors and detail I've gotten from my previous two Olys. Also, I already had an FL-50 flash, and that's a heavy investment that should now pay off well with the E-300.

Finally, I know that some people don't think it's that significant, but the inclusion of the dust removal system and in-camera pixel mapping function are important features that eventually all manfacturers will have. Oly has them now.

That about sums it up. Now the proof is in the pudding--I'll have to get busy doing some shooting to see whether my belabored logic has been right or not.

:confused:

Even with my supposed "XT bash", I still believe that you can't really make a bad choice when going dSLR. I hope that the E-300 turns out to be everything that you need. The ultra-sonic cleaning system may someday be the "norm" (no pun intended).

Being able to use the existing flash is a nice side benefit.

Anyway welcome to the land of dSLR's. The adventure is just beginning. ;)

cameragame06
04-07-2005, 03:06 PM
i'm kinda new to the site, first day on here. i sell cameras, and the store i work for does repairs, i'd say 85& of the cameras brought in for repairs are olympus cameras. for the sme price of 899.99 u can get the new pentax *istDS. Great lil camera for the price, it uses the same sensor as the d70. or for 999.99 theres the XT which i think everyone knows is probably one of the best dslr's out there. the istDS is a 6 MP camera and the XT is 8

D70FAN
04-07-2005, 04:48 PM
i'm kinda new to the site, first day on here. i sell cameras, and the store i work for does repairs, i'd say 85& of the cameras brought in for repairs are olympus cameras. for the sme price of 899.99 u can get the new pentax *istDS. Great lil camera for the price, it uses the same sensor as the d70. or for 999.99 theres the XT which i think everyone knows is probably one of the best dslr's out there. the istDS is a 6 MP camera and the XT is 8

Uh-oh... You do realize that this is the dSLR Forum... right?

Norm in Fujino
04-07-2005, 06:11 PM
i'd say 85& of the cameras brought in for repairs are olympus cameras.

Oh, nooooo, the sky is falling, the sky is falling! :eek:

D70FAN
04-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Oh, nooooo, the sky is falling, the sky is falling! :eek:

I don't know Norm. You had better check that Japanese Warranty. ;)

Norm in Fujino
04-07-2005, 06:58 PM
I don't know Nom. You had better check that Japanese Warranty. ;)

It not the warranty that worries me, George, it's the built-in timer that sets these modern things to self-destruct one day after the warranty expires! :p

D70FAN
04-07-2005, 08:25 PM
It not the warranty that worries me, George, it's the built-in timer that sets these modern things to self-destruct one day after the warranty expires! :p

There's bound to be a crack out there somewhere.