PDA

View Full Version : Adobe RGB much brighter

mikos
04-07-2005, 08:18 AM
Well, there is one thing (at least) that I don't understand about Adobe RGB color space...
After loading a foto with Adobe color space applyed I found out that picture looked much brighter than its tween brother with a SRGB color space :confused:
Why it happens that way?
It is woth saying that (to my eye) SRGB pict looked OK and Adobe one looked kinda odd.
I used a Photoshop CS with a custom working color space - appropriate to the display I use (Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB - 19").

After reading review of 350D on Digital Camera Reviews I tried to compare two (same) fotos (cryons with the watch) in both color spaces.
When I opened SRGB one it looked "normal" but the Adobe one too bright.
It looks quite "normal" if I discard the color space (but it doesn't make any sens, does it?). There are some diferences in saturation (a bitt less) and color balance (better greens, not oversaturated and yellows shifted more to red).
My question is how to view and how to use this color space so it makes sens?
Shall I "darken" the picture to the level of a SRGB one?
What color space should I use when printing on local printer (Epson 1290) and which one when I want to print in a lab?

P.S. I've read the post: "sRGB or Adobe RGB" and checked out this link (http://www.danandsherree.com/2005/0...shoot_in_th.php) too... It didn't help...

THX for eny help,
miko

JKO
04-10-2005, 06:34 AM
Hi,

I wonder the same about Adobe RGB, wich one to use for printing in a lab. I am living in Indonesia (I'm a swede) and the personnel in the lab are not so skilled to be able to answer my questions. (Not yet anyway).

Jan

TheObiJuan
04-10-2005, 12:37 PM
the adobe rgb colorspace has a much wider gamut of colors. the colors also are more vibrant and would appear as brighter. I shoot in Adobe RGB and did not convert to sRGB, so when I posted some of my paintball pics on the web, the colors were lacking saturation, so I converted to the srgb colorspace and it was better. I find adobe RGB more pleasing, but to each his own.

haikai
04-10-2005, 04:59 PM
as i understand it, you should do your edits in the RGB space- sRGB was developed to make sure things looked consistent for all viewers regardless of their hardware... so i guess it's a step you'd take for putting it on the web, for example.

as for why sRGB might look better, i'm afraid i don't know enough about color profiles- it may be a matter of the monitor not being calibrated correctly.

-hai