PDA

View Full Version : New user needs advice.

Bill Wilkin
07-06-2004, 09:33 AM
As a rank novice at digital photography I'm finding that my new FZ 10 has a mind of it's own. I'm not getting the quality pictures I know this camera is capible of. Is there a site I can go to for "how to" dialogues related to this camera? My biggest problem is trying to over ride the automatic exposure settings in flash mode and for moving subjects. Any advice would be appreciated.

BW

John_Reed
07-06-2004, 11:11 AM
Is there a site I can go to for "how to" dialogues related to this camera? My biggest problem is trying to over ride the automatic exposure settings in flash mode and for moving subjects. Any advice would be appreciated. BW

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMCFZ10.PDF will connect you with a site where Panasonic offers a PDF manual. It's very helpful, in general, to read the manual that came with the camera, page by page, with the camera in hand, ready to try whatever each page suggests. For example, "Panning," a way of shooting moving subjects, is one of the functional modes, and it's well described and set forth in the manual.

srvdcr
07-16-2004, 11:36 AM
Bill,

A few things I have learned;

1. Sometimes it helps to reset the white balance or do it manually with a white card or piece of paper. A lot of my initial photos had colors that I'd describe as "off" that have since been corrected.

2. Remember to pop up the flash when needed. Sounds simple but I still forget every now and then because it isn't automatic and the LCD still can look like exposure is good.

3. Read as much of the manual as possible and practice. Perfect your shots in ideal outdoor lighting conditions and then move indoors where conditions are less ideal.

4. Another thing to remember is that if you change any settings (like set ISO to 200) it will stay at that setting even if you go back to "P" mode. You need to run through the menu and change everything back to Auto first.

You may know these things, but if it helps, glad to be of service.

Steve

Cailean
07-23-2004, 06:45 PM
My biggest problem is trying to over ride the automatic exposure settings in flash mode and for moving subjects.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean here, but I found that when I tried to out-think the camera by over-riding things, pics turned out poorly. I learned to trust the camera 90% of the time, unless I am going for a particular effect. Until I my photography skills improve, I am limiting myself to adjusting the EV and flash intensity - and even then I take an extra shot in full auto just so the camera can prove me wrong - again!

The beauty of digital is that you can test and re-test without cost! I took almost 1000 shots in the first week I owned the camera and learned a ton!