PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D70 Battery Life?

mhanson
04-06-2005, 01:32 PM
I recently went to an event where I wanted to take a lot of pictures. I have three batteries for my D70 - the OEM and two non-OEM but not cheap.

I made sure all were charged up the night before. I usually get almost a full day of pictures from one battery, but wanted to be safe.

Now the question - for some reason, all of them died after about an hour to two hours of use. This has never happened before, and I'm looking for some ideas why.

The only thing that changed was I changed from a 1gb Microdrive to a 1gb CompactFlash card (Lexar).

Been using the camera around 4 months. Now it appears the batteries are entirely shot. Any ideas?

Thanks,
MH

D70FAN
04-06-2005, 02:37 PM
I recently went to an event where I wanted to take a lot of pictures. I have three batteries for my D70 - the OEM and two non-OEM but not cheap.

I made sure all were charged up the night before. I usually get almost a full day of pictures from one battery, but wanted to be safe.

Now the question - for some reason, all of them died after about an hour to two hours of use. This has never happened before, and I'm looking for some ideas why.

The only thing that changed was I changed from a 1gb Microdrive to a 1gb CompactFlash card (Lexar).

Been using the camera around 4 months. Now it appears the batteries are entirely shot. Any ideas?

Thanks,
MH

I might understand the non-OEM's having a problem, but having an original EN-EL3 die after a couple of hours is pretty weird, unless you were shooting 100% flash and taking a few hundred shots per hour.

How do you know the batteries are shot? It may be you have a charger problem. And if the batteries will not fully charge this may indeed be the problem.

In a year of shooting with the D70, the only time that I have had a battery go less than 900 shots is when it was in my bag and self-discharged after about 3-4 months (normal). I only got about 75 shots, but after recharging it's as good as new.

You can check the camera/flash card combo, by loading up the 3 x 2CR lithium battery holder and using that. If it performs like a normal EN-EL3 then it confirms the charger is the problem.

Anyway, it sounds like a charger problem to me.

Tokret
04-07-2005, 12:38 AM

Thanks,
MH

use your current setup but try it with a different lens. i suspect the lens.