PDA

View Full Version : D70 vs. EOS 20-D

delray
08-23-2004, 02:24 PM
Hello,

It has been awhile since I have posted (like 6 years!) I originally worked with Jeff to setup the design of the 1st site and the second design as well as dvspot.com. Excellent job on this 3rd and improved version Jeff!!

Anyway, I have just started looking at a new digicam purchase. I have an Oly D-600L, the 1st version of the Canon Digital Elph, and a Nikon Coolpix 950 from work .

I want a pro-sumer SLR, under $2000 and was looking at the Nikon D-70 then this newly announced camera from Canon comes along.

Any recommendations or reservations on either of these? Are there others in this price range I should consider (Olympus?). I will be getting the lens kit also.

I realize the Canon will be about $500 more and has higher resolution. Of my current cameras, I like the Nikon the least but after playing with the D70 on vacation I was really impressed.

This may boil down to "are the pluses on the Canon worth $500 to you?". I guess what I am really after are any known issues or problems with either make (in the pro/prosumer line) that I should be aware of and might affect my choice.

Thanks!

D70FAN
08-23-2004, 11:33 PM
Hello,

It has been awhile since I have posted (like 6 years!) I originally worked with Jeff to setup the design of the 1st site and the second design as well as dvspot.com. Excellent job on this 3rd and improved version Jeff!!

Anyway, I have just started looking at a new digicam purchase. I have an Oly D-600L, the 1st version of the Canon Digital Elph, and a Nikon Coolpix 950 from work .

I want a pro-sumer SLR, under $2000 and was looking at the Nikon D-70 then this newly announced camera from Canon comes along.

Any recommendations or reservations on either of these? Are there others in this price range I should consider (Olympus?). I will be getting the lens kit also.

I realize the Canon will be about $500 more and has higher resolution. Of my current cameras, I like the Nikon the least but after playing with the D70 on vacation I was really impressed.

This may boil down to "are the pluses on the Canon worth $500 to you?". I guess what I am really after are any known issues or problems with either make (in the pro/prosumer line) that I should be aware of and might affect my choice.

Thanks!

If you can afford the extra $$ buy the Canon, as it looks like you don't have old lenses to worry about. If you liked the D70 then the 20D will be even more like-able. And I can't think of a single reason, other than cost, not to buy the 20D.

Rhys
08-24-2004, 06:06 AM
Bottom line:

Nikon dSLRs are mostly compatible with older Nikon lenses (some in lens bayonet fit only). The bonus is a dSLR lens will most likely fit onto an old manual, mechanical FM body so you need never worry about running out of juice.

Canon dSLRs - all except the very wide-angle digital lenses are intercompatible with existing Canon EOS lenses so it's easy just to pop a film slr body in your bag to tide you over if the digital battery is flat.

Being a belt and braces kind of man, I lean towards the manual, mechanical backup.

Having said all that, perhaps I could throw a wildcard in - the Sigma SD10. The photos are pretty good. Lenses can be a bit so-so. It doesn't have a JPEG mode. I was a bit against this at first. Now I gather those who use RAW files tend to prefer the RAW format as it's easier to post-process. Maybe Sigma accidentally had it right there. Anyway, have a look at the SD10 too.

leewitt
08-24-2004, 01:38 PM
The main knock on the SD10 is color problems at higher ISO. At lower ISO, the shots look good. Both the D70 and 20D perform well at higher ISO. After you get through all the arguments, the resolution of the SD10 is comparable to a 6 MP Bayer give or take a MP. Thus, the 20D may have a very slight advantage. The SD9/SD10 concept mostly lives on the potential seen by many from the Fovean sensor. Time will tell if it pans out.

Rhys
08-24-2004, 05:19 PM
The main knock on the SD10 is color problems at higher ISO. At lower ISO, the shots look good. Both the D70 and 20D perform well at higher ISO. After you get through all the arguments, the resolution of the SD10 is comparable to a 6 MP Bayer give or take a MP. Thus, the 20D may have a very slight advantage. The SD9/SD10 concept mostly lives on the potential seen by many from the Fovean sensor. Time will tell if it pans out.

It does get somewhat grainy at higher ISOs. I compared iso 400 to Konica 3200 print. Now that was grainy - 20 years ago.

Phiggys
08-28-2004, 05:51 AM
It really depends upon your budget and if you already have a system or lenses you may wish to use on a Dslr.
I use Nikon based Fuji S1pro and S2pro bodies and I didn't have to upgrade or buy additional lenses or flashguns :) at the time.
Although I have a wide range of AF lenses I have been able to still use my old MF lenses and SB speedlights.
Which IMO is a big bonus. :)
A friend has just recently purchased the D70 with the 18-70 DX lens and agree its a very impressive bit of kit for the money.
The only thing I'm not so keen on with Canon is the rate at which they keep super-seeding consumer dslrs D30,D60,10D,300D and now the 20D is on its way.
I know the 300D is aimed at the lower end of the market but thats a lot of camera bodies in a few short years.
And that doesn't include the Pro end of the Canon market!
Then again thats progress I suppose. :)

Rhys
08-28-2004, 07:44 AM
It really depends upon your budget and if you already have a system or lenses you may wish to use on a Dslr.
I use Nikon based Fuji S1pro and S2pro bodies and I didn't have to upgrade or buy additional lenses or flashguns :) at the time.
Although I have a wide range of AF lenses I have been able to still use my old MF lenses and SB speedlights.
Which IMO is a big bonus. :)
A friend has just recently purchased the D70 with the 18-70 DX lens and agree its a very impressive bit of kit for the money.
The only thing I'm not so keen on with Canon is the rate at which they keep super-seeding consumer dslrs D30,D60,10D,300D and now the 20D is on its way.
I know the 300D is aimed at the lower end of the market but thats a lot of camera bodies in a few short years.
And that doesn't include the Pro end of the Canon market!
Then again thats progress I suppose. :)

If the cameras are built to last - unlike many consumer digital cameras - then I imagine there will be a vast array of decently-megapixeled dSLRs floating around secondhand for next-to-nothing in a few years. That will also mean that the demand and price of newer equipment will fall. I suspect what Canon is doing is flooding the market as part of a corporate strategy to wrest domination from Nikon.

sgrenald
09-22-2004, 03:54 PM
The fact of the matter is that you're going to be pretty happy with either camera. If your budget is $2k, you can pick up the D70 with the kit lens, and an SB-600 or 800, and still have enough left over for an additional decent lens or two (e.g., the Nikkor 50mm f1.8). You'll have to skip the flash or the extra lenses with the 20D.

Of course, I'm a happy D70 owner, so I might be biased. :)

On the flip side, the 20D's spec's are very impressive.

-Seth

Howard Gabbert
09-22-2004, 06:58 PM
xxx
I just received my Canon 20D today - and am very pleased with it. It replaces a Canon EOS D60 which I have used for the past 2 years - over 5900 pictures.

Since I had a good array of Canon lenses, for me it was a logical progression. The 20D is 3.4 ounces lighter and about a half inch narrower. It increases the resolution from 6.x to 8.x MP. All functions are about the same except some key controls have been moved. I prefer the on/off switch where the D60 has it, but will soon get used to groping down below. :)

The 20D menu is more efficient,and ISO setting is now on a top button. Very good.

The D70 is a great camera - and if I did not have an investment in Canon lnses, I could have gone for it. Unfortunately, Nikon comes out with competing models about a year after Canon. :)

The 20D at $1499.99 + s/h is good value.

D70FAN
09-22-2004, 07:15 PM
xxx
I just received my Canon 20D today - and am very pleased with it. It replaces a Canon EOS D60 which I have used for the past 2 years - over 5900 pictures.

Since I had a good array of Canon lenses, for me it was a logical progression. The 20D is 3.4 ounces lighter and about a half inch narrower. It increases the resolution from 6.x to 8.x MP. All functions are about the same except some key controls have been moved. I prefer the on/off switch where the D60 has it, but will soon get used to groping down below. :)

The 20D menu is more efficient,and ISO setting is now on a top button. Very good.

The D70 is a great camera - and if I did not have an investment in Canon lnses, I could have gone for it. Unfortunately, Nikon comes out with competing models about a year after Canon. :)

The 20D at $1499.99 + s/h is good value.

Howard, can you post a few pictures? And let us know the particulars on lens used, etc. We have had one other person who seems to be having problems, but is using the 75-300 IS lens. So it would be nice to have a sanity check if you are using one of the "kit" lenses.

With a few minor exceptions the D70 can hold it's own in this class so I don't see a replacement coming in the near future. Also Nikon has been introducing new dSLR cameras at a much slower pace than Canon. the new (in January) D2X is quite nice if you have $5K you don't need.

I have a D70, but for those with a little extra $$ the 20D might be nice as well, but I hesitate to recommend a camera in this class with any negatives. Thanks.

eagle17
09-29-2004, 12:47 PM
I have the 20D and have the EF-S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 and an older canon EF 35-80 f5.0-7.x (can't remember since it is not a very good lens and I almost never use it.)

I would be happy to post some shots tonight... I also have a friend with the 300d and the 75-300 usm is lens... i am planning on taking a few shots with it on my 20D this weekend.

I have read through quite a few post that george has commented in and absolutely agree with his recomendations. the D70 is the best camera at the $1k pricepoint. The canon 20D is IMO the best camera at $1.5k pricepoint.

also the rebel is starting to drop to the $799 range without lens this will make it appealing for its price.

so far I have not had any problems shooting with my 20D of course I have discovered that when you shoot in full auto it is not as good as using a creative or manual mode shot.

John Crawford

Howard Gabbert
10-13-2004, 12:46 PM
OK - here are a few pictures taken with the D60 and 20D:

http://corky-g.smugmug.com/gallery/246245/1/9611242

D70FAN
10-13-2004, 03:07 PM
OK - here are a few pictures taken with the D60 and 20D:

http://corky-g.smugmug.com/gallery/246245/1/9611242

Good shots. But you need to title them so we know some details, like which camera? D60 or 20D. Or is that the point? Smugmug allows this in the options pull-down.