PDA

View Full Version : Kodak dx 6490 - is my choice correct for what I want to do

zbyszek
08-23-2004, 02:05 PM
Hello,

I have read some posts before writing but I would like to ask your advice from different perspective. I have almost made up my mind on getting Kodak DX 6490 but need some advice. Is my choice correct in the light of the below criteria:

- I am not even an amatour photographer.
- I want to be able to shoot family photos both indoors and outdoors
- I want to take photos of landscapes when we travel somewhere
- I want to be able to print some of the photos taken on a4 in good quality to display on walls as posters (in our house only ;-)
- I won't be doing lots of close-ups
- I may use some pictures for a magazine or a newsletter (only in case I learn to take good photos!)

I am not sure whether you have enough information to help me out. Simply put - in the light of what I need is Kodak a good choice or should I aim for something cheaper?

BTW - do you think that prices of Kodak dx 6490 may go down as a 5MP Kodak with the same 10x optical zoom is available (though not yet in Poland where I live)?

Many thanks in advice!

Zbyszek

speaklightly
08-23-2004, 02:42 PM
Dear Zbyszek:

After studying your parameters, I would venture that the Kodak DX-6490 would be very good for your outlined purposes. Currently the Kodak DX-6490 is about $US 340 on the internet. The new Kodak DX-7590 will be priced at $US 500 when it is introduced a month to a month and a half from now. Ido not think that the price of the Kodak DX-6490 will fall for approximately 6 months or more.

The Kodak DX-6490 is a wonderful digital camera and will be a good beginner camera as well, allowing you to begin in the Point & Shoot mode and then as you learn more, you can begin to use more and more of the many features of this excellent digital camera.

I own a Kodak DX-6490 and have taken several thousand digital photos with the camera. It is very dependable and certainly capable of making excellent quality A4 size prints.

Sarah Joyce

sid9890
11-10-2004, 09:16 AM
Dear Sarah,

Hi, I'm siddarth from India. Digital cameras are really expensive here and cameras of the stret are not very safe! The DX7590 is all I can afford right now that has a proper warranty system. I just wanted to know your comments on the camera's suitablity for a person who wants to learn photography?

Thanks,

Siddarth

Thon
11-10-2004, 03:38 PM
I wouldn't immediately recommend the Kodaks, even though the photo quality is ok. There are just not enough controls for the more serious photographers. The size of the camera would be the biggest turn-off for me.

If you want more controls in a compact size without sacrificing quality, have a look at the Olympus C770UZ, C765UZ or C750UZ models. They would be most compact 4MP, 10x zoom digicams. I own a Olympus C770UZ.

However, if size if not a factor, then have a look at the Panasonic FZ20, FZ15, FZ10 or FZ3. They have excellent Leica optics (12x zoom) with IS. They are becoming the most popular big zoom cameras now.

Have a look at these before deciding.