View Full Version : Canon's A95 or S1 IS ?

08-23-2004, 12:34 PM
Hi every body,

Can anybody help me choose, which one is better? Canon's A95 or S1 IS. Or will there be any upgradded S1 IS with 5 megapix. I am really moved by the image stabilizer and the optical zoom and also with good video. Just thought of A95 for 5 mega pix. Is there any other manufacturer's equivalent of Canon S1 IS. I was planning to buy the A80, but suddenly the S1 IS grabbed my attention. Just waiting for the price to come down. I don't want to wait more if S1 IS will be stopped in production. Please advice.

08-23-2004, 02:05 PM
Well the Canon S-1 is available right now with excellent reviews, great video capabilities, and the educated guess among industry knowledgeable people is no, there is not going to be a S-1 available as a 4mp or 5mp version within the foreseeable future. The current internet price is $US 340.

I am sure the A-95 will be an excellent digital camera. However, it is not available today, and no release date that I know of has yet been set.

Sarah Joyce

08-23-2004, 03:29 PM
Thanks Sarah.

So anybody...
Is there any camera with "Optical Image Stabilizer" with decent zoom/megpix with canon like performance and quality.

08-23-2004, 03:53 PM
When the new Panasonic FZ cameras come out there will be a model to compete with the Canon S-1. I have not seen a formal release date for those Panasonic digital cameras.

Currently, the only close competition is from the Panasonic FZ 10 (4mp). By the way the release date for the Canon A-95 looks like it will be 09/15 or shortly thereafter.

Sarah Joyce

08-24-2004, 07:03 AM
well.... if you are willing to wait, i recommend the FZ20. if you can't wait, the konica minolta z3 would do too. or if you are willing to part with a small fortune, the konica minolta a1 or a2 would do(these are the top end ones). all the camera i state has image stablizer.

08-24-2004, 07:08 AM

It is a technical point but the satilizer on the Panasonic FZ-10/20 and the Canon S-1 are different than those utilized by the K-M A1/A-2. The first group uses a lens stabilizer. The second group uses CCD stabilizers.

It is not a huge point, but its better that we be aware of the difference.

Sarah Joyce

08-24-2004, 09:52 AM
Thanks to other contributors to this forum, today I learned that there is a camera review of the Canon A-95 at www.steves-digicams.com.

Sarah Joyce

08-26-2004, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the info on Konicas and IS differences. Some how Canon has locked me in it's focus, I can't really come out and by Panasonic or any other brand. Even Sony was initially trying to lock me, then some how I realized sony is not a camera company, canon is though.....They must know more about camera than Sony. But as a common user, I always see good performance b/w Sony and canon but Canon is always cheaper than Sony for same number of features....Anyway I think I should wait till thanks giving to see good camera's price coming down. I wish S1 IS is be there.......

08-26-2004, 01:05 PM
I chose between the Canon S1 IS and the Nikon 5700. The former has a longer zoom and an excellent video mode. The latter takes bigger pictures.

At the moment, despite what people say about digital camera video modes, I'm having a lot of fun with the video mode. So much so that I might be forced to invest in larger memory cards. Oddly enough. I got the S1 so that I could use my existing memory cards and wouldn't have to buy more! Every camera I buy seems to need me to buy more and bigger cards - whatever the card format.

I'd say that if all you print is A4, stick with the S1. If you prefer bigger pictures but less zoom, go for the A95.