PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a new forum member

Blue Star
04-03-2005, 11:26 PM
Hello all,

I am a new member here. Still browsing through all the forums sections & this looks like a great place to learn.

I am a newbie to digital photography. Have some experience with G3 & now I own a canon 20D. & so I decided to make my first post here.

I will stick around & try to learn from you guys.
PS: Hope I have posted my greetings in right place :-)

ReF
04-04-2005, 01:54 AM
hi! it would be nice if you could show us something cool in the gallery (no pressure, really). so what lenses are you using? just trying to make conversation :p cool thing about this forum is that it's hard to find snobs, unlike some of the other sites. you run into tons of snobs in every field/hobby/catagory of interest; the last thing we need is to be surrounded by them. hope you'll feel welcome here. :)

Blue Star
04-04-2005, 02:05 AM
Thanks ReF.
Will surely post something soon.
I dont have much lenses at the moment. Actually my 20D itself is less than 2 months old.
I have a sigma 18-125mm DC lens, a EF 50mm f1.8 II along with a polarizer for my sigma. I am planning to get one more lense, but am really unable to decide which should be next. My options are
70-200 mm f4L
OR
EF 100 mm f 2.8 macro.

I am no expert but macro photos really appeal a lot to me. On the other hand a bit more telephoto reach with L lens wouldnt be bad either.

Dont say get them both as I really cant :-(. I need to get a monopod & a decent bag also...

Any thoughts to offer ? :-)

Bluedog
04-04-2005, 04:44 AM
Welcome aboard! I just ordered the same Sigma lens you have as its suppose to be one of the better zooms in that range. Just remember to play around and take notes. Take lots of photographs and learn to bracket the exposure for different results. Thats the beauty of digital is if you mess up and have something you don't like, just edited or delete.

speaklightly
04-04-2005, 06:47 AM
Bluedog-

Perhaps it was a lemon or just me, but the Sigma 18-125mm did not work well for me. I felt it was too soft, especially at the edges. I returned it and got a Tokina 24-200mm. I like the Tokina a lot and got some extra zoom in the process.

Sarah Joyce

jamison55
04-04-2005, 07:03 AM
Thanks ReF.
Will surely post something soon.
I dont have much lenses at the moment. Actually my 20D itself is less than 2 months old.
I have a sigma 18-125mm DC lens, a EF 50mm f1.8 II along with a polarizer for my sigma. I am planning to get one more lense, but am really unable to decide which should be next. My options are
70-200 mm f4L
OR
EF 100 mm f 2.8 macro.

I am no expert but macro photos really appeal a lot to me. On the other hand a bit more telephoto reach with L lens wouldnt be bad either.

Dont say get them both as I really cant :-(. I need to get a monopod & a decent bag also...

Any thoughts to offer ? :-)

Hey BlueStar, welcome! We all have a lot of fun here, and always love to hear from new folks.

Your lens decision is definitely a tough one, as you have chosen two fine lenses to mull over. In addition to the macro capabilities, the 100 gives you an extra stop of light over the 70-200, and a couple of extra stops over the Sigma. Might be handy to have a fast tphoto to go with the 50 when you can't use a flash...On the other hand, as someone whose recently bought his first piece of "L" glass, I think that you will be amazed at the quality of the images that the 70-200 produces. The sharpness, color, and eye-popping contrast are nothing short of stunning.

Welcome again, and be sure to post some pics from the lens that you choose!

D70FAN
04-04-2005, 09:20 AM
Bluedog-

Perhaps it was a lemon or just me, but the Sigma 18-125mm did not work well for me. I felt it was too soft, especially at the edges. I returned it and got a Tokina 24-200mm. I like the Tokina a lot and got some extra zoom in the process.

Sarah Joyce

Sarah, Very unfortunate. As you know, several, of us on DCRP own the 18-125 and have learned to work around the shotrcomings. Edge softness has not really been a problem on the D70, but maybe the slightly smaller sensor on Canon dSLR's have this effect, or maybe, as you said, you recieved a lemon. This happens with consumer grade lenses. There is also a tendacy to vignette at full tele and smaller apertures, but shooting at f8, or backing off slightly (maybe 110mm) seems to minimize this effect. Shooting in RAW also allows this to be minimized in post processing.

While the 18-125 DC is not the best lens around, it is a good alternative to the kit lenses out there with better range and utility. For $270 it's worth the work-arounds until something better comes along. ;) Hopefully the new Sigma and Tamron 18-200's will be better. The Tokina 24-200 is a nice lens, and I really liked using it (for about 2 days), but for my day-to-day shooting 24mm (36mm digital) just isn't wide enough.

D70FAN
04-04-2005, 09:29 AM
Hello all,

I am a new member here. Still browsing through all the forums sections & this looks like a great place to learn.

I am a newbie to digital photography. Have some experience with G3 & now I own a canon 20D. & so I decided to make my first post here.

I will stick around & try to learn from you guys.
PS: Hope I have posted my greetings in right place :-)

With a 20D you won't be a newbie for long. ;) Welcome to the DCRP. Hopefully between the Cononites on this forum, and the other dSLR users, on other forums, we can be of some help.

Hope to see some of your shots up on the photos forum. If you live near a lighthouse drop a pic on that thread (a cheesy promo of the Lighthouse thread).

Bluedog
04-04-2005, 09:52 AM
Bluedog-

Sarah Joyce

Thanks for the heads up. I'll give it a good try out and see how it goes in a few days upon receiving it. Hey if I ain't happy it'll get returned for something else. Looking in the Pbase galleries with the Sigma 18-125mm yields some very good quality photos and a lot taken taken with the 300D and a few with the 350D.

Blue Star
04-04-2005, 04:57 PM
Hello ! & thank you all for the warm welcome. I think I have to go out this weekend & shoot soemthing to show you guys :)
I work as a programmer & usually can go out only in the weekends to shoot. Photography is my hobby & since I am not full time, I usually dont have so many things to present. But with all ym new gear I hope this to change ;)

Blue Star
04-04-2005, 05:00 PM
Bluedog-

Sarah Joyce

Hi Sarah,
As much as I have read about this lens, its very good value for the money, so I guess you may have got a bad copy or else your standards are too high for this lens :) . Before returning Iwould have tried sigma rechipping it. 20-200 seem to be a interesting range apart from the fact that it is not really wide angle. How's your opinion on this lens ? Please share.

Blue Star
04-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Hey BlueStar, welcome! We all have a lot of fun here, and always love to hear from new folks.

Your lens decision is definitely a tough one, as you have chosen two fine lenses to mull over.

Yes it is ... I would love to have both actually but as I said I can afford only one at this time & its really tough to decide which one :confused:

Blue Star
04-04-2005, 05:04 PM
With a 20D you won't be a newbie for long. ;) Welcome to the DCRP. Hopefully between the Cononites on this forum, and the other dSLR users, on other forums, we can be of some help.

Hope to see some of your shots up on the photos forum. If you live near a lighthouse drop a pic on that thread (a cheesy promo of the Lighthouse thread).

Thank you very much George :)

I dont live any place near a lighthouse though ... :)

Blue Star
04-04-2005, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I'll give it a good try out and see how it goes in a few days upon receiving it. Hey if I ain't happy it'll get returned for something else. Looking in the Pbase galleries with the Sigma 18-125mm yields some very good quality photos and a lot taken taken with the 300D and a few with the 350D.

I am quite sure you wont be disappointed. Its not a L glass but still acceptable. Plus there is always the option to get it recalliberated at the service centre..

eagle17
04-04-2005, 05:43 PM
yeah you shouldn't find any snobs except those pushy D70 owners ;) . kidding aside this is a very good site and there are a lot of good dslr owners here who are more than willing to share their tips with anyone willing to listen.

as a 20D owner my self I would Highly recomend learning how to use levels in photoshop. you will be amazed at how many shots you can save with it...

I personally didn't think the D70 is a great camera from the reviews that I had read however looking through George's pbase gallery has changed my mind and of course reminded me that the camera is only as good as the hands it sits in.

is this your first SLR camera? and if not what brand and bodies have you used?

If this is your first SLR camera than I recomend getting some books from the markdown or used book store. The best thing is that many of the procedures are still valid from decades ago.

Blue Star
04-04-2005, 05:54 PM
yeah you shouldn't find any snobs except those pushy D70 owners ;) . kidding aside this is a very good site and there are a lot of good dslr owners here who are more than willing to share their tips with anyone willing to listen.

as a 20D owner my self I would Highly recomend learning how to use levels in photoshop. you will be amazed at how many shots you can save with it...

I personally didn't think the D70 is a great camera from the reviews that I had read however looking through George's pbase gallery has changed my mind and of course reminded me that the camera is only as good as the hands it sits in.

is this your first SLR camera? and if not what brand and bodies have you used?

If this is your first SLR camera than I recomend getting some books from the markdown or used book store. The best thing is that many of the procedures are still valid from decades ago.

Hi eagle,

Actually I am surprised to see die hard fans of canon & nikon on this forum who are tolerant & open minded. Well may be I havent seen enough yet :p

Eagle this is my first DSLR. I dont have much experience in photography either. I used a canon G3 for few months & got aware of the limitations in terms of slow focussing, high noise, fixed lens etc (although it produces great pics for my taste) & went on to 20D.

I guess I do understand some technical aspects of photography now. But I have a long long way to go learning the creative side of it.

I do have some books - 50 fast digital photography techniques, Digital photography hacks etc, but they are not specific to DSLR's/SLR's.

Blue Star
04-06-2005, 05:39 PM
Just to let you guys know, I went for 100 mm macro for the moment. I will get something to cover 200mm range soon :-)

gabester
04-09-2005, 07:00 PM
Edge softness has not really been a problem on the D70, but maybe the slightly smaller sensor on Canon dSLR's have this effect, or maybe, as you said, you recieved a lemon.

On most lenses, the center image is sharper than at the edges or corners at large apertures. So an APS-C sensor, smaller than 35 mm film, is theoretically less likely to encounter edge softness than on a 35mm film frame when using the same lens. A Canon sensor, being slightly smaller than a Nikon sensor (1.6 vs. 1.5 crop factor), is even less likely to suffer from edge softness. Therefore the edge softness appears to be a function of lens quality, not sensor size. Or am I missing something completely here - educate me.