PDA

View Full Version : Image of Nikon D50!!!

Singh
04-02-2005, 10:12 PM
Here is an image (Artist’s impression) of the upcoming Nikon D50. This picture was made using the image provided in the manual of D50 so, this is what the real thing will look like.

http://www.tibetan-mastiffs.org/Nikkon%20D50.JPG

gary_hendricks
04-02-2005, 11:49 PM
Looks nice to me. Where'd you get this insider pic?

HotRod
04-03-2005, 09:36 PM
i wonder where the D50 is going to fit in price wise.. 1K for the kit lens to match the XT? maybe even undercut it?

whatcha think?

Rex914
04-04-2005, 12:57 AM
It's gotta be several hundred dollar cheaper, at least $200 cheaper than the current D70 to justify its existence, unless it's so different that it can be a feasible move by Nikon. I'm thinking that it will be priced similar to or a tiny bit above what the original Rebel is priced at right now ($600/$700)

Singh
04-04-2005, 07:27 AM
It's gotta be several hundred dollar cheaper, at least $200 cheaper than the current D70 to justify its existence, unless it's so different that it can be a feasible move by Nikon. I'm thinking that it will be priced similar to or a tiny bit above what the original Rebel is priced at right now ($600/$700)

I agree with you Rex914 the price of the D50 should be similar to the original DRebel. As far as I know the D50 is the light version of the D70, which uses SD-Cards. Also the making of the D50 makes sense only if the Nikon launches it as a competitor to the original DRebel which Canon has not decommissioned.

I think the D50 is aimed at those persons who are upgrading from digital point and shoots, and not from film SLRs.

My guess is D50 body (w/o the lens) should cost under US$700/-.

shevbo
04-05-2005, 05:02 AM
Its going to have a 6.1Mp sensor - and should look black & silver (which in my opinion is disgusting).

aparmley
04-14-2005, 08:08 PM
I posted the following text in another thread here and I just came across this conversation and I thought it may be a good idea to post this hear to, "you know, for the kids!":
I, too, am a little hesitant in saying that I have decided, once and for all, that I am definitely purchasing [insert brand and model]. I am seriously considering the [&%&%Sensored for Nikon crowd&%#%^$ -LOL] but, like you, with the resent announcement from Nikon about the D50 and D70s I am holding my tongue. Primarily because I am interested in seeing how canon responds. OBiJuan, another DCResource forum contributor informed me that the both of these cameras are going to be using the 6MP [CCD, i assume] sensor. I was curious to learn this because if they were going to use 8MP sensors I think Canon would be forced to adjust their prices. Not saying that the XTs would not sell if they remained near 1,000, just thinking about the price drop of the 300D when the D70 was introduced; the marketing ploys used to increase sales.

I ask the next question in the hopes George may be able to shed some light on the topic, but, if anyone else can I would greatly appreciate it. I single George out because He enjoys his D70 and I think he would enjoy helping me ponder the following question. If the D50 and the D70s are coming out, IMO the D50 may be attemping to grab market share directly from the high end fixed lense prosumer digital cameras and to be a more "afforable entrant" into the "amateur DSLR" market that I keep reading about and compete with the 300D. Naturally then, that would leave the D70s to replace the D70 and compete directly against the Canon 350D. My question is this, while upgrading the sensor to an 8MP sensor is arbitrary at best and Nikons decision not to proves they too feel this way, then what could possibly be offered in this camera [D70s] that you can't find on the D70??? Improved speed performance along the lines of the D2hs? Can someone share their opinions on this matter?

----Nikon enthusiasts. I am a new comer to the forums here at DCresource, I joined for the following reasons, superb forum conduct, the wonderfully efficient sharing of ideas and opinions here, and the personalities found herein. I loved reading the post here! I am researching a DSLR -- primarily in the amateur DSLR market, the D70 and XT to be more exact... and maybe now the D50 or D70s. As I save my money for one I am researching. I am weighing the pros and cons of each camera, not having a specialty or a photography background I am trying to anticipate my most import features. Currently I own a Canon A95 P&S 5 MP, I have had it for 3 months, I stumbled on a love for photography I didn't know I had with this camera however, I already feel very limited by its fixed focal lenght and am currently wanting to upgrage to a DSLR. I think I would enjoy the speed of the XT [D70 is right there too], so no help there. as for MP, arbitrary for the most part, I understand, I do however, crop alot, do to my current limit of focal lenght I tend to stay put more because the old foot zoom gets tired, plus its not nearly as quick and smooth as it once was.. LOL .. warranty is no good either. However, I crop alot so I do think the +2MP difference will make the crop that much better, sounds like a crutch maybe, but I'd feel comfortable knowing that I can crop and not worry about loss of quality. But, yes we still do not have a driving factor in the decision. hmmmm.. Everyone is up to speed with me now! :D I know I will enjoy the ISO quality the Canon offers. so thats one tick for canon... Nikon owners come off more professional to me, so one tick for nikon.. haha.. Nah.. it just seems like both cameras would be a wonderful tool no matter which way I end up going... Thank you guys and gals!

Singh
04-14-2005, 09:06 PM
I ask the next question in the hopes George may be able to shed some light on the topic, but, if anyone else can I would greatly appreciate it. I single George out because He enjoys his D70 and I think he would enjoy helping me ponder the following question. If the D50 and the D70s are coming out, IMO the D50 may be attemping to grab market share directly from the high end fixed lense prosumer digital cameras and to be a more "afforable entrant" into the "amateur DSLR" market that I keep reading about and compete with the 300D. Naturally then, that would leave the D70s to replace the D70 and compete directly against the Canon 350D. My question is this, while upgrading the sensor to an 8MP sensor is arbitrary at best and Nikons decision not to proves they too feel this way, then what could possibly be offered in this camera [D70s] that you can't find on the D70??? Improved speed performance along the lines of the D2hs? Can someone share their opinions on this matter?

The D70s is an update to the D70 and not an upgrade. The major change that I know of in D70s from D70 is the addition of cable release and I think the shutter speed has come down to 1/4000 from 1/8000 (a downgrade according to me). It is Nikons habit of adding a few features to its cameras and putting ‘s’ to its name. Both D50 and D70s use the same sensor as the D70 and as far as the sensor is concerned I will say Canon Rules (No offence to any other brand).

speaklightly
04-14-2005, 09:56 PM
Singh-

I agree with you completely. The Nikon D-50 will truly be a downgrade, not an upgrade from the Nikon D-70. There seems to be some confusion on that issue. Will it work, who knows.

However, one issue has occurred to me. If Nikon drops too much, they are virtually at the Nikon 8800 level. There could be confusion and a challenge to separate the facts as to which digital camera really does have the better quality.

Sometimes the difference get too close/small and there is customer confusion.

Sarah Joyce

gary_hendricks
04-15-2005, 06:23 AM
Yes I do think the D50 will be a downgrade to the D70

Rhys
04-15-2005, 06:47 AM
Nikon D50 Specification

Camera Type

Single Lens Reflex (SLR)

Effective Pixel

6.1 million

Sensor

CCD 23.7 x 15.6 mm; total pixel; 6.24 million

Image size (pixels)

· 3008 x 2000 (large)

· 2256 x 1496 (medium)

· 1504 x 1000 (small)

Lens mount

Nikon F mount (with AF coupling and AF contacts)
Compatible lenses*

Type G or D AF Nikkor

All functions supported

Micro Nikkor 85mm f/2.8D

All functions supported except autofocus and exposure modes

Other AF Nikkor

All functions supported except 3D color matrix metering II

AI-P Nikkor

All functions supported except 3D color matrix metering II and autofocus

Non-CPU

Can be used in mode M, but exposure meter does not function; electronic range finder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or faster

Picture angle

Equivalent in 35-mm format is approximately 1.5 times lens focal length

Viewfinder

Fixed-eyelevel penta-Dach-mirror type

Diopter adjustment

-1.6-+0.5m-1

Eyepoint

18mm (-1.0m-1)

Focusing screen

Type B BriteView clear matte screen Mark V with superimposed focus brackets and On-Demand grid lines

Frame coverage

Approximately 95% of lens (vertical and horizontal)

Magnification

Approximately 0.75x (50-mm lens at infinity;-1.0m-1)

Reflex mirror

Quick return

Lens aperture

Instant return with depth-of-field preview

Focus-area selection

Can be selected from 5 focus areas

Lens servo

· Autofocus (AF): Instant single-servo AF (AF-S); continuous servo AF (AF-C); auto AF-S/AF-C selection (AF-A); predictive focus tracking automatically activated according to subject status

· Manual focus (M)

Autofocus

TTL phase detection by Nikon Multi-CAM900 autofocus module with AF-assist illuminator (range approximately 0.5-3.0m/1.8”-9’10”)

Detection range

-1-+19EV (ISO 100 at 20oC/68oF)

AF-area mode

Single-area AF, dynamic-area AF, dynamic-area AF with closest subject priority

Focus lock

Focus can be locked by pressing shutter-release button halfway (single-servo AF) or by pressing AE-L/AF-L button
Exposure

Metering

Three-mode through-the-lens (TTL) exposure metering

Matrix

3D color matrix metering (type G and D lenses); color matrix metering (other CPU lenses); metering performed by 420-segment RGB sensor

Center-weighted

Weight of 75% given to 6, 8, 10, or 12-mm circle in centre of frame

Spot

Meters 3.5-mm circle (about 2.5% of frame) centered on active focus area

Range (ISO 100 equivalent f/1.4 lens, 20oC/68oF)

0-20 EV (3D color matrix or center-weighted metering)

2-20 EV (spot metering)

Exposure meter coupling

CPU coupling

Exposure control

Operating mode

Digital Vari-Program (auto, portrait, landscape, close up, sports, night landscape, night portrait, programmed auto (P) with flexible program; shutter-priority auto (S); aperture priority auto (A); manual (M)

Exposure compensation

-5-+5 EV in increments of 1/3 or ½ EV

Bracketing

Exposure and/or flash bracketing (up to ± 2EV over 3 exposures)

Exposure lock

Luminosity locked at detected value with AE-L/AF-L button

Shutter

Combined mechanical and CCD electronic shutter

Speed

30 – 1/4000 s in step of 1/3 or ½ EV, bulb, remote

Sensitivity

200 – 1600 (ISO equivalent) in steps of 1/3 EV

White balance

Auto (TTL white balance with 420 pixels RGB sensor), six manual modes with fine tuning, preset white balance

Bracketing

3 exposures in increments of 1, 2 or 3

Built in Speedlight

Digital Vari-Program (auto, portrait, close up, night landscape: auto flash with auto pop-up

P, S, A, M: manual pop-up with button release

Guide number

(m/ft at 20oC/68oF)

· ISO 200: approximately 15/49 (manual 17/56)

· ISO 100: approximately 11/36 (manual 12/39)
Flash

Sync control

X-contact only; flash synchronization at up to 1/500 s

Flash control

TTL

TTL flash control by 420 segment RGB sensor (CPU lenses only)

· Built-in Speedlight: I-TTL balanced fill-flash for digital SLR, or standard i-TTL flash for digital SLR (spot metering or mode dial set to M)

· SB-800 or 600: i-TTL balanced fill-flash for digital SLR, or standard i-TTL flash for digital SLR (spot metering)

Auto aperture

Available with SB-800 with CPU lens

Non-TTL auto

Available with such Speedlights as SB-800, 80DX, 28DX, 28, 27, and 22s

Range-priority manual

Available with SB-800

Sync modes

· Auto, portrait, close up: front curtain sync, red-eye reduction

· Night portrait: slow sync, slow sync with red-eye reduction

· Landscape, sports, night landscape: front curtain sync and red-eye reduction with optional Speedlights

· P, S, A, M: front curtain sync, slow sync, rear-curtain sync, red-eye reduction, slow sync with red-eye reduction

Flash compensation

-3-+ 1EV in increments of 1/3 or ½ EV

Flash-ready indicator

Not mentioned

Accessory shoe

Standard ISO hot-shoe contact with safety lock

Creative Lighting System

Supports Flash color Information Communication and FV lock with built-in Speedlight, SB-800, and SB-600. SB-800 and 600 also support Advance Wireless Lighting
Storage

Media

SD (Secure Digital) memory cards

File system

Compliant with Design Rule for Camera File System (DCF) 2.0 and Digital Print Order Format (DCF) 2.0 and Digital Print Order Format (DPOF)

Compression

NEF (RAW): compressed 12-bit

JPEG: JPEG baseline-compliant

Self-timer

Electronically controlled timer with 2 – 20s duration

Depth-of-field-preview

When CPU lens is attached, lens aperture can be stopped down to value selected by user (A and M modes) or valve selected by camera (Digital Vari-Program, P, and S modes)

Monitor

2.0”, 130,000-dot, low-temperature polysilicon TFT LCD with brightness adjustment.

Video output

Can be selected from NTSC or PAL

External interface

USB 2.0 Hi-speed

Tripod socket

¼” (ISO)

Firmware upgrades

Firmware can be upgrade by the user

Supported languages

Chinese (simplified), Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, Swedish (Not mentioned in the D70 user manual)

Power source

· One rechargeable EN-EL3 (1400maH, 2000 shots) Li-ion battery; charging voltage (MH-18a quick charger or optional MH-19 multi charger): 7.4 V DC

· EH-5 AC adaptor (available separately)

Dimensions (WxHxD)

Approximately 133 x 102 x 76mm (5.2” x 4.0” x 3.0”)

Weight

Approximately 540g (1lb 3oz) without battery, memory card, body cap, or monitor

Operating environment

Temperature

0 – 40oC (32-104oF)

Humidity

Less than 85% (no condensation)

Others

New lens (kit) - An AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED. It is equivalent to the Canon 350D or Digital Rebel XT kit lens. Note: The D70 lens (kit) is an excellent AF-S DX 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF ED

More comprehensive instruction on printing using Pictbridge.

Small picture option is setting that create small JPEG copies of selected pictures for e-mail or the web.

Battery grip option??

aparmley
04-15-2005, 05:00 PM
Thank you for your responses! IMO the D50 could get as close to the 8800 as possible and not run into any consumer confusion, maybe. The opportunity costs will be different on a basic level. If both cameras were to be priced very similiarly you have the lens factor with an SLR that immediately offers increased flexibility [optional]with increased cost and the feature set will most likely be more rich with the SLR which is going to attract the consumer who knows the P&Ss out there are too limiting, these people, I belong to this crowd, I think are intrested in getting a photograhic tool in their hands to see where it will take them, they are interested in going beyond the casual snapshot of the family bbq. The fixed lens P&S I would think are going to attract the more casual photographer, I like to think of them as a snapshooter, LOL, I am working my way out of that genre of consumer into hopefully someone who makes photographs. But thats just my opinion. Like I mentioned before, I am interested mostly in the impact to the amateur DSLR market. Mr newb-a-licious here and proud of it [re: all things photography] just sharing my two cents. :D

Ant
04-16-2005, 10:23 AM
This seems to be the latest pic of the D50.

Either one of these images is wrong or they're going to offer it in two colours like the Canon Rebel.

http://x-plane.org/home/AntMart/Pics/nikon_d50_silver.jpg

Rex914
04-16-2005, 11:29 AM
Now it becomes painfully (as in obviously) clear that this is definitely aimed at the original Rebel.

Singh
04-16-2005, 06:32 PM
This seems to be the latest pic of the D50.

Either one of these images is wrong or they're going to offer it in two colours like the Canon Rebel.

http://x-plane.org/home/AntMart/Pics/nikon_d50_silver.jpg

The Italian site which posted this image says that D50 will be offered in both black and silver colours.

DownByFive
04-17-2005, 02:45 AM
And apparently they will be offering a new kit lens, which looks to be crapfully on par with the Rebel lens based on that new picture...

JTL
04-17-2005, 09:37 PM
Now it becomes painfully (as in obviously) clear that this is definitely aimed at the original Rebel.Releasing a camera that is designed to compete with another camera that has already been replaced seems quite silly to me and will seem equally silly to anyone who knows anything about cameras. :rolleyes:

It kind of reminds me of when Nissan lost their way 10 years ago...the point being that they still haven't recoverd...

Face facts...Canon owns the high-end with the 1Ds Mark II and is about to own the low-end with the 8MP CMOS XT/350D. Game over...for now...

Rhys
04-18-2005, 07:08 AM
Releasing a camera that is designed to compete with another camera that has already been replaced seems quite silly to me and will seem equally silly to anyone who knows anything about cameras. :rolleyes:

It kind of reminds me of when Nissan lost their way 10 years ago...the point being that they still haven't recoverd...

Face facts...Canon owns the high-end with the 1Ds Mark II and is about to own the low-end with the 8MP CMOS XT/350D. Game over...for now...

This is another reason why I'm not keen on Nikon any more. I used to believe everything Nikon made was Ok. Then, when they came out with their AF lenses (10 years ago), I asked why they were so much cheaper than the manual lenses. The answer was that they're just not as well made. It seems that having got into a mess, Nikon just wants to wallow in it. If they concentrated on quality rather than quantity, I'm sure they would regain their position as number 1 instead of slipping down past the likes of Minolta, Pentax and Zenith.

Nick
04-19-2005, 03:34 PM
To post some more speculation; here's a few rumored photos.

http://forest-of-october.net//d70s.jpg

http://forest-of-october.net/nikond50.jpg

aparmley
04-19-2005, 04:55 PM
I agree with you JTL - I think its silly when one company follows suit of another because its working for them and they think its hot. But, it happens in every market. Canon now has more affordable 300D thats just a small step above the high end fixed lens cameras out there [and a little cheaper than some] and the 350D at the 1000 dollar mark, 20D at 1500 and like you mentioned, they seem to own the professional market. This is entirely based on my interpretation of the Market but it appears that Nikon is wanting to compete at every price point that Canon has fixated on, you can't competitively compete with a market rival if your products aren't competing for the same dollars. Simply my opinion. Doesn't really seem too silly when you think about it.Simply because Canon is beating Nikon to the market with these cameras is no reason for Nikon to start over or not release a product...???

Update: I bought a Canon A95, but the A85, and the A75 are still on the market. I don't think these cameras are exactly replacements, there is still a market for the 300D. So, I'm respectfully disagreeing with you on that one, I do not think the 350D replaced the 300, I see it as a camera that fills in the gap between the 20D and the 300D, and a very lucrative gap as well, the sweet spot I think. Unless canon has stopped the production of the 300D, which I suppose could be the case, I could be very well under-informed on the topic.

Rex914
04-19-2005, 05:00 PM
The D70s should be a very minor update with the only "major" (And it's really not much) change being the bump up from a 1.2 to 2.0 inch screen. Either it's that lens or I simply haven't seen that many D70's, but that photo just makes it look gigantic. It should look nearly identical to the D70 right now.

The D50 image looks very authentic. Where'd you get it?

Singh
04-20-2005, 05:05 AM
DPReview.com has a hands-on preview of the Nikon D50.

NeilBlanchard
04-20-2005, 09:40 AM
Hello:

Does anybody know what storage card(s) the D50 will use?

Neil

Nick
04-20-2005, 10:20 AM
Neil,

The D50 uses SD cards, which is probably directed towards users who already have them and won't need to buy new media in order to use the camera.

gary_hendricks
04-20-2005, 11:22 AM
Neil,

The D50 uses SD cards, which is probably directed towards users who already have them and won't need to buy new media in order to use the camera.

Yes, I heard the same thing. SD cards for the upcoming D50.