PDA

View Full Version : Price no object, lousy photographer is

Janet
08-22-2004, 10:29 AM
Hello
I have been a member here since 1999. I bought a Nikon 950 when it first came out on the advice of this group and took many good shots with it. My bad shots were most always due to the fact that I always shoot hand held, and had red eye and out of focus in poor light.

I was waiting for the perfect camera to come along then I convientently lost or misplaced my camera. So now is a good time, plus a small inheritance from an uncle, to find a replacement. I shoot nature shots while traveling and hiking, (almost always want zoom or wide angle in the out-of-doors) and indoor shots of friends, family and pets. I am hoping to take it on a trip to the out back of Australia and to the Amazon jungle.

Is there a camera that fits my needs? Great in poor light, great image stabilization. Zoom and wide angle available. Is the new Cannon 20 too big and complicated for a person that did not really even figure out the 950? Would the new Panasonic that was mentioned on this site be better? I love gadgets, just have a hard time using them!

Thanks for any advice.
Janet

Rhys
08-22-2004, 01:43 PM
Hello
I have been a member here since 1999. I bought a Nikon 950 when it first came out on the advice of this group and took many good shots with it. My bad shots were most always due to the fact that I always shoot hand held, and had red eye and out of focus in poor light.

I was waiting for the perfect camera to come along then I convientently lost or misplaced my camera. So now is a good time, plus a small inheritance from an uncle, to find a replacement. I shoot nature shots while traveling and hiking, (almost always want zoom or wide angle in the out-of-doors) and indoor shots of friends, family and pets. I am hoping to take it on a trip to the out back of Australia and to the Amazon jungle.

Is there a camera that fits my needs? Great in poor light, great image stabilization. Zoom and wide angle available. Is the new Cannon 20 too big and complicated for a person that did not really even figure out the 950? Would the new Panasonic that was mentioned on this site be better? I love gadgets, just have a hard time using them!

Thanks for any advice.
Janet

Panasonic FZ10 or Panasonic FZ15, I believe.

Janet
08-22-2004, 04:20 PM
>>Would the new Panasonic that was mentioned on this site be better?

Rhys

When you say

>"Panasonic FZ10 or Panasonic FZ15, I believe."

Are you referring to the name of the new Panasonics or is that a recommendation? I love the Nikon name, it would be interesting having a "Panasonic" !!

Janet :-)

judge9847
08-22-2004, 05:43 PM
Panasonic FZ10 or Panasonic FZ15, I believe.

I don't know what happened to a previous post I thought I'd made but I'd tried to point out that the FZ10 had been superseded by the FZ20 with some improvements to the features.

Those improvements include low-light handling which you may be interested in. And with it's massive 12x optical zoom Leica (yes, THAT Leica) lens with image stablization your nature shots will be very impressive.

If there's a chance for a "test drive" of one, take it - you'll be pleasantly surprised at what Panasonic have produced.

The FZ20 seems to have started to ship now to Japan and the US but if past Panasonic performance is anything to go by, some parts of the world won't see it for a while yet.

Hope that helps - and that this post hits the board :)

speaklightly
08-22-2004, 06:33 PM
Why not take a look at the Nikon D-70 or the Canon Digital Rebel

Sarah Joyce

Janet
08-22-2004, 09:58 PM
(Why not take a look at the Nikon D-70 or the Canon Digital Rebel)

I will look at all of those suggested. The Rebel sounds interesting. And I will wait for a review of the Panasonic FZ 20. The panasonic sounds good as it is cheaper and may work great for a camera to lug around the Amazon. I love the 12x zoom and image stabalization . Losing an expensive camera hurts. At least when I lost my 950 it was out dated. Still a good camera, though and I have all the accessories. Maybe I will find it someday.

Does it make any difference what kind of memory the camera has and who manufactures it? Back in the old days, 1999, there was all kinds of talk as to which was best and which manufacter's product was most reliable. I see Viking has a SD 256 card with a $20.00 rebate which means it is less than $25.00 for 256 megs? Hard to believe, but them maybe I have my memory types mixed up.

Thanks for all of your help. Is Andy Baird still around. I haven't seen him post.

Janet