PDA

View Full Version : Online or Regular store?

Paparazzi
04-02-2005, 02:49 AM
Hi,
I live in the Middle East ... Kuwait to be precise and find that the prices here are outrageous as compared to the US of A. I'd like to get myself a Sony W-5 and was just wondering which of the two possibility would be best.

1) A friends daughter does her college in Phoenix, Arizona and hence I could buy one online and get it shipped to her and her father will get it to me when he goes to visit her in May. In this case, which online store would be best?

2) When her father visits her, he just buys it from one of the normal stores out there. Here too, anyone could recommend a store in Phoenix, Arizona where he could get one?

Once he reaches there, ordering one from an online store may end up getting the item not delivered in time for his return.

Would really appreciate help! ... and oh! by the way, if I buy one from the US, would I still be eligible for the warranty?

Thanks & Cheers!

W5Rocks
04-02-2005, 02:11 PM
I just purchased a W-5 online from Butterflyphoto.com. My local "low-price" camera store (BestBuy) wants $349.99 for the W-5 plus California sales tax for a total of $376.24. Butterfly charged me $292.00, no tax, and $39.80 for overnight delivery. A total of $331.80. So I saved $45 and got the camera in my hand in less than 24 hours.

I can think of two reasons why you would not want to do what I did...

1. I expect that Butterfly will only accept a U.S. credit card. However you might ask them.

2. The Sony warranty says "This Limited Warranty is valid only in the United States". I also purchased an extended 3 year protection plan for $69.99. The small print on this says it has "Worldwide Coverage". So you might want to ask about that.

Good luck. You have chosen a good camera.

gary_hendricks
04-02-2005, 05:36 PM
Butterfly Photo is a great online website, but you need to check restrictions on international orders though.