PDA

View Full Version : Downloading pictures

BadShoe
08-22-2004, 07:49 AM
How are folks getting pictures out of the camera and into the computer?

I find the d ESO is slower than death if I use the cable and download from the camera.

I find a usb card reader (old slow usb) is about 5+ times as fast.

jaykinghorn
08-25-2004, 10:23 AM
Attaching the camera to the computer is the slowest method of transferring files from the camera to the computer. USB is faster (as you've found) and Fire Wire is generally fastest if your computer supports it.

My workflow for transferring files:
Insert CF card into Fire Wire card reader.
Transfer files from CF card to folder on my internal hard drive
Edit, rename and sort files in Photoshop CS
Back up files to External hard drive.
Eject CF card, erase card in camera.

Best regards,

Jay Kinghorn
RGB Imaging

Neve
09-14-2004, 09:37 AM
Nikon recomends Picture Project instead of Nikon View for their D70. I have until now used Nikon View for extracting picture files from an Nikon Colpix Camera. I also have used the metod mentioned above, capturing JPEG-files via CF-cardreader and USB. Thus Nikon View works fine for browsing any pictures captured on Internet as well, or from any source!

Picture Project works but I love Nikon View - however I fail using it together with the D70?? It wont read the D70 JPG-files that I have entered via my CF-cardreader and USB.

Anybody who use the Nikon View for Nikon D70 JPEG-files?

D70FAN
09-14-2004, 12:43 PM
Nikon recomends Picture Project instead of Nikon View for their D70. I have until now used Nikon View for extracting picture files from an Nikon Colpix Camera. I also have used the metod mentioned above, capturing JPEG-files via CF-cardreader and USB. Thus Nikon View works fine for browsing any pictures captured on Internet as well, or from any source!

Picture Project works but I love Nikon View - however I fail using it together with the D70?? It wont read the D70 JPG-files that I have entered via my CF-cardreader and USB.

Anybody who use the Nikon View for Nikon D70 JPEG-files?

Sorry, I don't use Nikon View, but it should read any JPEG image. I use Digital PIE 3.5 for editing and Photoshop for post-processing.

Dave Clark
09-14-2004, 09:10 PM
With my Nikon 950 I would jump up and down and swear the only way to transfer fotos was to move the card to a card reader ... reading the fotos from the camera was not only slow but error prone.

With my Canon 10D I never use the card reader. I always attached the camera via the USB port and let it download. Yes, it is slower ... well, kind of. I have the auto rotate turned on, so if I am taking a vertical shot the foto will be rotated in the camera and will be downloaded as rotated, if you download from the camera only! I also use the option to download only fotos that I have never download before ... it remembers if which fotos were downloaded and only loads the new ones ... really is useful when you forget to delete 75 fotos after you download them. I also use the option to download to folder with the date the foto was taken. So if you have taken pictures over a couple days, the fotos end up in a folder with the date the it was taken. I prime the destination with a folder name of yyyy-mm. So all fotos taken in Sep 2004 are in daily folders in folder 2004_09. The software also checks battery life and request that I use a different battery if it is low.
Normally I will change battery a the begining of a download and rarely get 'caught' with a low battery when I am taking fotos. When I shot with the Nikon and always switched cards I frequently would have to change batteries within 10 minutes of shooting. Both of these cameras have a very poor battery life indicator. It show full until it is almost done and then shows it needs recharge. So with all these features, is the direct camera download really slower?