PDA

View Full Version : Your improvements requested

Riddick51
04-01-2005, 07:52 PM
Here is a photo I took recently with my new digital camera. I am looking for your advice on things you would have done to improve the picture. Thank you in advance. :)

here (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Riddick51/NE-ANG-717.jpg) is the picture. it was so freaking huge, i put a link to it.

ricekiller2003
04-02-2005, 10:34 AM
Awesome picture! I've been wondering if there was a technique for bringing in a little color myself?

I love how they park their toys so well :D
here (http://thickstunalex.smugmug.com/photos/18680530-L.jpg)

SamuraiJack
04-02-2005, 11:53 AM
Here it is after a little bit of color, level, and contrast editing in Photoshop Elements 3.0. I'm sure a lot more couldbe done to it. I spent all of 5 minutes on it.

Wes

SamuraiJack
04-02-2005, 11:58 AM
Ok...had to play around with the other one too. Heres the results. I like both pictures by the way,

Wes

kornhauser
04-02-2005, 03:35 PM
Good job SamuraiJack!

What I do when I'm taking the original pictures to reduce photo editing, this is just a sample of what I like to do...

For the most part, I overexpose my pictures +0.3 to +0.7 (heavier clouds, more overexposure) in the daytime when it's cloudy and my Nikon 8800 allows me to white balance outside when it's cloudy. I also highly recommend using a UV filter even when it's cloudy.

The original picture was great! SamuraiJack really brought some color to it.

gary_hendricks
04-02-2005, 05:26 PM
Nice photo, love the shot of those planes.

Riddick51
04-02-2005, 09:35 PM
thank you, everyone for your picture enhancements and comments.

nice pic of the fighter jets. :D

gary_hendricks
04-02-2005, 10:42 PM
thank you, everyone for your picture enhancements and comments.

nice pic of the fighter jets. :D

By the way, what event was this? Where did you shoot those planes? I would like to shoot some fighter jets myself - I'm fascinated with em'

Riddick51
04-02-2005, 11:23 PM
By the way, what event was this? Where did you shoot those planes? I would like to shoot some fighter jets myself - I'm fascinated with em'
laff, taking that particular picture was a mini-story in itself. :D it was taken in Lincoln, Nebraska, at the nebraska air national guard. i actually drove in my truck to the north side of the commercial muni airport and stood on top of the cab of my truck. this was so i would be able to photograph over the fence and get, hopefully, a nice photo. just as i took the shot, i looked to my left and personnel from the control tower were walking toward me, drilling me with questions about my purpose for being there. :eek: i did some quick explaining and got out of there asap.

the photo of the fighter jets is actually by DC member ricekiller2003, and i like that one also. i like the flat light conditions.

my photo of the boeing's was submitted to the site "airliners.net," where people submit aircraft photos for public display. they told me the picture was of poor quality. i thought, okay, that's fair enough, maybe i don't know much about this digital camera stuff. so i thought i would seek out opinions from people here.

if any of you would like to revise/offer a sharpened critical review of the boeing 717 photo, i am interested in improving my camera technique.

gary_hendricks
04-03-2005, 04:10 AM
laff, taking that particular picture was a mini-story in itself. :D it was taken in Lincoln, Nebraska, at the nebraska air national guard. i actually drove in my truck to the north side of the commercial muni airport and stood on top of the cab of my truck. this was so i would be able to photograph over the fence and get, hopefully, a nice photo. just as i took the shot, i looked to my left and personnel from the control tower were walking toward me, drilling me with questions about my purpose for being there. :eek: i did some quick explaining and got out of there asap.

Hahaha ... I have the same problems here in Singapore. I never get a chance to take shots of a fighter jet up close, unless it's an airshow. But then, it'd be pretty crowded and tought to squeeze in a nice, natural shot. :(

ricekiller2003
04-04-2005, 10:15 PM
I took the picture of the fighter jets through the window of our rented Piper Seminole as we were taxiing into Houston Airport. We just decided to rent this plane and take it to Houston from Florida to build some multi time. I'm not making a career trying to be a pilot or anything, I'm actually graduating this month with my Aerospace Engineering degree and commissioning into the Airforce :D , but I love to fly. Houston is a popular airport for training fighter and nav pilots, and potential astronauts as well.

These T38's flew in, and all the pilots in training walked right by. I instantly recognized one from my school who graduated a year and a half ago. We talked for as long as he had the time, and it was pretty cool hearing all of his stories :D. I showed him what I flew in, and he looks at me and says casually 'ah...cool'. I felt like such a dork, lol. It reminds me that the world is really small, no matter how far you go.

He told me that at night he was leaving Houston and that I would be able to see his afterburner from takeoff...but unfortunately we had to get the seminole back before 6am the next day...:hit's head on desk:

HotRod
04-06-2005, 01:01 AM
Ellington Field, right? as i dont know of any other airports around here that have fighter jets like those.

jewallace
04-07-2005, 08:03 PM
I use a polarizer on shots like this to improve sky/clouds. The polarizer reduces EV for sky by at least 1 f-stop. Another thought, you could use PS Elements to fill in area above horizon with more distinctive clouds from another photo.

The attached photo of a CO 737 was taken using my Coolpix 5400 with a polarizer about 6pm. I used a monopod because of the longer exposure times. Monopods are much easier to carry and weigh less than tripods.

Getting access to military aircraft or even airliners up close is not easy to do since 9/11. My best luck has been at open houses or air shows very early in the day. I try to be the first one at the gate. Better light too.

I couldn't find the 717 shot. BTW Boeing is shutting down the 717 production line. Too bad, nice aircraft, much more comfortable in back the 737.