PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from a QV3500 what to go for.

akky
08-22-2004, 03:24 AM
edit 'updated title'
Hi, just regestered and as like most people, I have been trawling for a new digi. My QV3500 CCD has bit the bullet. I need a new camera.

At present with my 300 ish budget I have narrowed to the below

FUJI S7000 - 334 I like the look of this as it is the big brother to the 602 which I wanted when I got my 3500 but the 600 price tag put me off.

Minolta Z3 - 279 (will need a larger card tho add 30) Now this does look a nice camera, it's only been out a short time so I have not seen enough reveiws to compare with the FUJI.

Kodak DX6490 - 250 I'm not sure about this camera given the 2 above to chooose from.

Apart from these 3 I have wondered if not to go for a smaller pocket sized camera such as

CANON IXUS 500 - 279

Minolta G600 - 265

All these to choose from. I suppose to help you give me some advise I should say what i like to click. Mostly, it is family days out, portrait type shots, and a few scenery and macro shots. Although each da out I do take a 100 or so shots.The 3500 has been ok for the last few years, but with its current problem I can now upgrade.

Reading the reveiws the s7000 although looks the business has had a couple of points on the noise issue, which led me to the Z3, however the 4meg limit has made me apprehensive on this camera.

I'm really in a bit of a tiz at the mo trying to decide. Yesterday I was about to get the Z3 when I reads another reveiw on the S7000 and found it did a awebcam feature (does the Z3 have the option) but the Z3 has a better movie mode resolution.

As you can see I do need some advise. Or, give me another camera to look at. Ideally I would like

4 + mp
6+ optical zoom
movie mode, with sound

Ta

Akky

speaklightly
08-22-2004, 05:38 PM
My Goodness! There is a wide difference in the digital cameras that you have listed. Do you really want a long optical zoom digital camera such as Minolta's Z-3. Or do you want a short zoom digital camera such as the Canon S-500? There is a vast difference between these two digital cameras.

Could you please clarify a bit. Thanks!

Sarah Joyce

akky
08-23-2004, 06:50 AM
I suppose I should have added I was looking at point and shoot for your pocket, and also a more advanced type for advanced pics.

However, after consulting a few friends, they have advised the Z3. So at the mo its in the lead.

speaklightly
08-23-2004, 07:03 AM
I agree the Z-3 would be my long zoom choice, but if you are not pressed for time wait to take a look at the new Panasonic long zooms, as well. I owned the Z2 aqnd it was very disappointing.

On Shirt Pocket digital cameras, take a look at these:

HP R707
Sony W-1
Fuji E-510 or E550
Fuji F-700
Canon S410
Canon S500

Sarah Joyce

John_Reed
08-23-2004, 07:09 AM
Reading the reveiws the s7000 although looks the business has had a couple of points on the noise issue, which led me to the Z3, however the 4meg limit has made me apprehensive on this camera.What bothers you about the "4meg limit?" Is your printing limited to printing only poster-size photos? 4 megapixels is a perfectly ample number of pixels to work with; I've done very well up to 13X19 (American B1 size?) with the 4mp from my Panasonic FZ10, and even my little 2mp FZ1's images aren't too shabby at that size. I actually like what I've seen of the Minolta Z3, but I'm still not sure as to how one can attach filters and auxiliary lenses to it, though there must be a way.

speaklightly
08-23-2004, 10:44 AM
I agree with John. The Z3 looks to have a lot of potential, however, we have yet to see an actual digital camera review of this camera and there remain a lot of unanswered questions.

It is just my personal opinion, as a former Z2 owner, but the Z1 and Z2 were really not great digital cameras and they both had trouble focusing in the long zoom position.

Sarah Joyce