PDA

View Full Version : memory

huskertko
07-06-2004, 07:21 AM
i am really new to both digital photography as well as this forum so I apologize if this has been asked already. I have Fuji Finepix camera with a 16 MB card. We are going on vacation and i want to get a larger card, what is the difference between a XD-picture card, and a compact flash card. they look the same. Can i use the Compact flash card in my Fuji camera

Jake Conner
07-06-2004, 10:26 AM
A compact flash card is big (like a big stamp) and rectangular with female pin contacts on one edge. An xD card is tiny (like a mid-sized thumb nail) and has a rounded front edge with semi-exposed gold contacts on the bottom. Depending on which Finepix you have, you may be able to use both, or just xD. If you can use both, I recommend Compact Flash, as they are faster and cheaper, as well as harder to lose. What Finepix do you have?

Jake

Nick
07-07-2004, 08:14 AM
Pretty much everything what Mr. Conner stated.

A 512MB xD will cost you about $150, while a 40x Lexar CompactFlash will go for about 100 or so. Compactflash usually has faster read/write times, although sometimes that won't matter if your camera can not utilize it past a certain point. CF cards also feel much better built and durable then xD cards, which I find even have a little flex to them ;)

Jake Conner
07-07-2004, 07:00 PM
Nick:

You really shouldn't abuse a poor memory card so. It could file domestic violence charges, assuming it had the proper AI on them and was plugged into a good motherboard. And just "Jake" is fine.

Jake

Nick
07-07-2004, 07:32 PM
I just felt like my post needed a little variation; I tend to call different people different names at varying times. I'm sorry if it offended you - I wasn't being ' serious ' formal. Pardon, my flaw :o

The memory that I abuse - it never, ever finds it way back home. That's how I disposed for my SD card AND my DiMAGE F100 - 300 foot drop off into a river. Like the ring of power, it rests untouched to this day on ;)

Jake Conner
07-07-2004, 10:04 PM
I just felt like my post needed a little variation; I tend to call different people different names at varying times. I'm sorry if it offended you - I wasn't being ' serious ' formal. Pardon, my flaw :o

J/K, J/K. Name me as you will, jolly ol' St. Nick! ;) :D ;)

Yes, I should go to bed now.... (it's 1am over here)

Aleck
07-14-2004, 01:15 PM
Check out the resolution you are going to use. I have a fuji S602 and at the highest resolution (6M) I can only get 14 shots on a 256MB CF card! Droping down to the fine setting onthis cam gives over 100 shots, thes will print up to A4 from a full frame. You might like to consider an 'X'drive II. this is a mini hard drive running on rechageable battery which you plug in your full CF card and press a button to download your pics onto the 20GB disk cost about 150 in UK. You won't get many CF cards for that :) Just bought one from www.digitaldepot.co.uk
They are doing a special offer just now.

Ray Schnoor
07-14-2004, 01:30 PM
If you are only getting 14 shots on a 256 MB card, you must be shooting in TIFF format. Most users seem to agree that you gain nothing by shooting in TIFF over the highest quality JPG format. Keep the resolution at 6 MB and save the photos at the highest quality JPG instead of TIFF and you should be able to save 5-6 times more photos on your card.

Ray.

Aleck
07-14-2004, 02:31 PM
Yes I agree. I think that is what happens when I drop the resolution to 'fine' in the 6MB range in the camera. (From 14 to 106 shots) I prefer to keep my pics in TIF while editing on pc as JPEG is lossy on repeated saves. I have just been editing some of the shots from a holiday in south Wales and there is a big improvement in picture quality over my previous work shot at the fine setting, particularly important when cropping and printing from less than full frame and printing a panarama up to A2 size.

al macdiarmid
07-14-2004, 07:11 PM
Shoot in JPEG, edit with some lossless like TIFF or PDS. You get the best of both. Al